RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Was lookin around, in particular at the Ahtlon 4 MP. Was surprised it was out, but even more shocked that its not 64 bit. I tried to find some new info about the so called Sledgehammer (64 bit AMD) or to a much lesser degree the Itanium (Intels). I looked around Toms, Anandtech, even AMD site....nobodies said diddly about AMD 64 bit in like over a year. Anyone har anyhting enw, or have any links to new info..? Somehow i doubt it, even tho im hopefull, since even AMDs site only had stuff from year 2000 about it.

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The Itanium is already out. It's targetted toward high-end servers. Consumers do not yet need 64-bit processors on their desktops. That would just be a waste of money, no matter how cheap the processor was. Paying for 64-bit capability without needing it or using it is a waste.

I do foresee the need in a few years. By then 64-bit processor technology will have come very much down in price.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intanium's are out now, a 64 bit version of Windows XP will launch with the rest of it later this year. Dell is taking preorders for Intanium machines that will be shipped once the 64bit XP is launched. As for the Claw Hammer or what ever the AMD 64 bit chip is, I haven't, heard, seen, or given two sh|t's about it since I will not be running anything 64 bit for a while.

ID10T errors are the cause of most consumer's computer problems.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Itanium began shipping early july from SGI shipping with Linux. the CPU alone is roughly $3,500 US. Itanium is findable on www.pricewatch.com

The Hammer is going thru some more changes due to AMD poor choices of BUS technology. originally set for EV6, then NUMA and now Hypertransport. The hammer is not a true 64bit processor it is SMP on a chip, that accepts zero extended 32bit code to make it 64bit. The hammer is still a theory and no working samples are even built yet. The hammer is still a "software simulator" aka macromedia demo.
I love how people claim hammer will kill Intanium even tho the Hammer doesnt exist.

www.simics.com

Apple is coming out with the G5, 64 bit CPU.

All the big boys "SGI, IBM, SUN,... all have 64bit processors and operating systems.

G

what transistion is that?

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
people who buy Itanium know what to use it for, unlike you.

People do not buy Itanium to run 32bit apps. get over it already. we dont care how it runs 32bit apps.

Yes there are allot of professional 64bit apps available today. and they are very very expensive.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Transition from 32 bit to 64 bit.

So everyone who has an Itanium runs solely 64-bit stuff, huh? It's possible, I suppose. But Intel will have to come out with an entirely new architecture (that runs 32 bit well), in order to make it onto the desktop smoothly.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

i'm just curious what gave you the idea that the itanium is a transition product? not intel's road map, which doesn't have a transition 64bit cpu (as you would call it) in it for at least 2-3 years. nor would the price suggest that it is such a cpu. and why would anyone run anything other than 64bit software on a 64bit cpu. nobody debates this of the numerous other 64bit platforms.

FatBurger

Illustrious
According to Intel's <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/ebusiness/products/roadmap.htm" target="_new">roadmap</A>, the Itanium is the only 64 bit processor listed. Now, stop me if I'm wrong, but if all Intel processors are 32 bit, and then they come out with a 64 bit processor, isn't that a transition from 32 bit to 64 bit? Granted, there's nothing listed for the home section, but I haven't heard any rumors of Intel having a totally different design for that, and you can rest assured that it'll be more than tricky for home users to change absolutely everything from 32 bit to 64 bit all at once. And nobody wants to run stuff slowly while doing a gradual upgrade.

-----------------

G

you didn't look very hard... searching for ia64 roadmaps returns much more complete results than your roadmap. i didn't look very hard but this link shows a more complete ia64 roadmap.

<A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/design/IA-64/idfisa/sld063.htm" target="_new">http://developer.intel.com/design/IA-64/idfisa/sld063.htm</A>

the split after McKinley is where they will start "transitioning" 64bit processors into the main stream. the lower branch being high end desktop while the upper branch continues to be servers and high end workstations.

and yes your logic is bad. it may be a transition but not the type you were speaking of before.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<meta name = "creation_date" content = "07-Aug-00">

As a side note, that information is about a year old.

Sorry, don't have time to search more than I did.
Anyhow, you still didn't say anything about my main point. In order to make a smooth transition, it has to be completely different architecture (not katmai/coppermine). I don't see anything saying that one way or the other.

-----------------

G

i'm not sure what you are trying to say in your recent post, but you still seem to be confusing different types of transitions. the itanium if anything is a transition for intel. for them to be making a new processor based on a 64bit architecture. it is in no way a transition for existing 32bit consumers upgrading to 64bit. it may be a transition for existing 64bit consumers migrating from one platform to another, but this is not the trasition you were speaking of before either. just because a company makes a product in one market doesn't mean if they start making a product in a different market that tehy would like their customers in the first market to use the product in the new market.

also the date on the roadmap seems hardly relevant to the fact it shows a product in the more distant future operating as the transistion you were trying to apply to the itanium. it shows that intel from the outset has concieved of the itanium as solely intended for the high end server and technical workstation, not as a migratory 32bit->64bit platform. the only relevance i can see for bringing up that it is out of date is that the timeframe may be wrong.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The hammer is not a true 64bit processor it is SMP on a chip, that accepts zero extended 32bit code to make it 64bit.
I love how Intel junkies claim to know all about the internals of a CPU that's barely even on paper. :lol:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

Apparently AMD has begun sampling the Hammer already. I have to say I prefer AMD's method because it will definately speed up the transition to 64 from 32 bit for everyone.. and also bring 64 bit to the desktop alot sooner.

I will admit I don't expect AMD's x86-64 to be faster than Intel's pure 64 bit offering with 64bit apps. But as I said it's a transition chip until AMD releases it's 64bit only chip.

G

these types of statements seem pretty bold for something that isn't due out for over a year.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Kelledin: The hammer is SMP on a chip, dual 32bit cores(NOT A 64BIT CORE). hence x86-64

Everyone else: The Itanium is meant for 64bit only, this is not meant for home user. I do not forsee anyone buying 64bit for home for another 2~3 years. It will take some time for applications to migrate to 64bit (at least usefull ones that are common amoung end users Pshop, Illustrator, ...)

Itanium is meant for number cruching, CFD type applications that already exist for 64bit. NOT quake3 or MS word.

You would have to be a incomplete idiot to buy a Itanium for 32bit applications.

Would you buy a 60k corvette to haul large rocks or a 10k pickup truck? you can buy 6 trucks to haul more but corvette still goes faster.

FatBurger

Illustrious
it shows a product in the more distant future operating as the transistion you were trying to apply to the itanium.

Where does it say that?? That's what I'm trying to say. I haven't seen a single thing that shows Intel has a different architecture that will perform better in 32 bit to be a transition CPU.

I realize Itanium is not a transition chip, I just don't see any others on the horizon that are different enough to perform better in 32 bit.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Kelledin: The hammer is SMP on a chip, dual 32bit cores(NOT A 64BIT CORE). hence x86-64
Wrong again. X86-64 is an extension of x86, extending it to 64 bit, that x86-64 does not mean two 32bit cores.

And how do you have proof that it doesn't exist? LOL you make claims you cannot even back up. Poor bastard.

---------
<A HREF="http://static.stileproject.com/pika.swf" target="_new">Grass is a beautiful weed.</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
<b>C :cool: :cool: LNESS</b> to the max. SMP on a single chip, yea baby bring it to dady, sounds good to me. No external busses to slow it down either. What would a double hammer be on a board? SMP on top of SMP, W :redface: W, talking about a Itanic killer in the making. :smile: The Hammer, what a good name, now what is it going to hammer?

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed

G

I don't expect 64 bit to be in widespread use until beyond that. But it's safe to say that because AMD is bringing 64 bit to desktop sooner than Intel the move to 64 bit will happen faster. If AMD wasn't bridging the gap it would take longer.

Also AMD's offering would most likely be alot cheaper making it affordable to more people and companies.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jackyl on 08/03/01 07:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Jakyl, AMD is NOT sampling the HAMMER, WTF you get that info?

Hammer will not even make it to silicon till sometime in 2002.

Feel free to parooze www.simics.com and enjoy the "software simulator" aka "macromedia demo" on how the hammer supposed to work =)

Get bored with that site, try this one.

http://www.x86-64.org/documentation_folder/progress

Based upon that stupid statement, you are a dumb ass and your totally clueless on 64bit.

This is a good example of your lameness "But it's safe to say that because AMD is bringing 64 bit to desktop sooner than Intel the move to 64 bit will happen faster"

News flash Jackyl, Itanium is shipping and the Hammer is not even a real product yet. go figure! WTG on that prediction, must have been consulting Miss Cleo psychic advisor huh?

Bridge what gap? there is no gap. when you have a need for a 64bit computer you will buy one, until then you might wanna stay out of this topic cause your only digging a deeper grave.

8procstooslow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Often you require a full software upgrade to go to 64bit (thinking large ERP systems, where it can take 2 to 3 days to upgrade). Now most 24x7 companies only have weekends to do upgrades. So usually what happens is the hardware is migrated first to 64bit, the software then runs for a week or two in 32bit mode. Then the software is upgraded to 64bit. Now I would not like to run my system on the equivalent of a P75 for a week.