reinstall windows with new mobo/cpu?

G

I am upgrading my mainboard and cpu from a p3-200 to a P4-1.4GHZ (or so) . When I replace the board and cpu (and RAM) should I blow away Win98SE and reinstall it completely? Any thoughts?

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Yes, you should definitely reinstall windows when you have a new motherboard. With the speed of that new CPU it won't take very much time either.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
The CD-ROM and hard drive are much more of a bottleneck than the CPU in installing Windows. But that's no big deal.

I'll agree you have to reinstall Windows. It's the different chipset on the motherboard that makes the difference.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

Ahh yes I remember in my earlier days swapping boards on my old pentium system and wondering y it ran like a dog and crashed constantly because I never re formatted the pc...oh thank god i am so much wiser now...

Just a suggestion if theres stuff on your hd u need to keep but have no way to backup is to go into dos (yes you know black screen white writing and text commands) and just delete windows. It's not as good as a format, and you'll still have to re-install all your apps but at least you won't lose your data. I know that sounds obvious but...well if u work on a help desk you learn to say it whether you think it's obvious or not :p

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :p

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no need to reinstal windows for CPU upgrade unless its on the same board, but even a board upgrade with the same CPU requires windows reinstall. you need to reinstall windows, preferably format drive c (after backing up your data) and install windows afresh.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>