Sign in with
Your question

How to fix a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart and the blac

Last response: in Windows 7
January 27, 2013 3:07:18 PM

I have a Lenovo Edge 14. The machine needed the battery charged, plugged it in, and then got "A disk read error occurred".

Checked and reseated hard drive

Created MS Dos Startup disk and gets the same error reading from CD- Rom

I am trying to run Western Digital's Disk Diagnostic for DOS but cannot get the machine to boot from cd

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Michael
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 6:46:52 PM

An MS-DOS startup disc is not appropriate for Windows 7. You need to use a Windows 7 System Repair Disc which can be created with the Backup and Restore utility when Windows is running okay.

Your immediate problem, however, is that you cannot get your PC to boot from the CD drive.
You may have to go into BIOS Setup and set the CD drive as the first boot device.
Or invoke the Boot Device menu, select the CD drive and press <Enter>
January 27, 2013 7:41:28 PM

Phil,

Western digital had two hdd diagnostics. a windows version and a dos version. I did change the bios to boot from cd. SInce I can't get the machineto boot up I cant run the backupand restore utility on the lenovo. I dohave a Win 7 Repair disk though its for a Lenovo W520. When I run that it will start up but thenjust stops going any further.

I am attemting to seee if the HDD is shot or can be repaired uisng the western digital diagnostic tool

Your thoughts
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 7:49:15 PM

Take the hdd out and try to boot from DVD. If that works, the hdd has a serious problem and needs to be replaced.
!