Nothing like a Demogorgon bones file...

While playing on NAO, fell through a trap door, and then came up on DL 38,
took one step, and purple & pops up next to me..poisoned! sick! stunned!
brain hurts!

WTF!

Demogorgon reads a scroll of Summon Monsters! Oh, hello pair of Master
Mindflayers...

Demogorgon summons Yeenoghu...

Yea, this isn't looking good at all. Fortunately, with a great deal of
care, and an even greater amount of fleeing up and down the stairs to get
individual fights, I finally brought that bitch down, and he drops a cursed
potion of healing --Yeah!-

Well, I had rather wondered just how he had shown up, I figured that I just
didn't see some minor demon that had summoned him, until I found the
upstairs (stupid me had forgotten to blindfold myself to locate them while
the demon lords were busy playing tag), and discovered that they were
engraved with the curious word "lbere n"...and then I was attacked by the
ghost of mercury5...and everything suddenly made sense :)

Well, it turns out that mercury5 was a rogue who had met his end by being
poisoned to death by big D...his grave donated a stormbringer, a fireproof
+5 t-shirt (an armor slot I had currently been lacking in), a ring of
levitation, and a key of master thievery, the last of which objected to my
wizardy neutralness (what causes a man to turn neutral? Greed? Lust for
power? No matter, the showdown of Good vs Neutral begins again) and refused
to be picked up; so assuming that I can ascend *knock on wood*, I won't be
getting that as part of my score :)

I thought playing on my machine was hard, the bones files on NAO are just
Death Incarnate sometimes, but usually they pop up in minetown with a
hostile Pit Fiend when I'm trying to do a protection run...this is the
deepest I've ever run into one.

It wasn't a *complete* ascension kit...no former bell/book/candle, but 17
potions of holy water, the scrolls of gold detection, a pile of candles,
etc...he was definately on his way. Something I'd never seen before, in his
bag of holding was a:

cursed fireproof magic marker (0:19)

Why would you go through the bother of fireproofing a magic marker?

Matt Frisch wrote:
> cursed fireproof magic marker (0:19)
>
> Why would you go through the bother of fireproofing a magic marker?

Probably he wished for it that way.

Why would he do that? Well, why not?

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Matt Frisch wrote:

> It wasn't a *complete* ascension kit...no former bell/book/candle, but 17
> potions of holy water, the scrolls of gold detection, a pile of candles,
> etc...he was definately on his way. Something I'd never seen before, in his
> bag of holding was a:
>
> cursed fireproof magic marker (0:19)
>
> Why would you go through the bother of fireproofing a magic marker?

Maybe polypiling? I think I've winded up with a rustproof or
fireproof wand once after polypiling wands (though I have no
idea how that can happen).

chlorine

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:23:07 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> scribed into the ether:

>It wasn't a *complete* ascension kit...no former bell/book/candle, but 17
>potions of holy water, the scrolls of gold detection, a pile of candles,
>etc...he was definately on his way.

Ohyea, inside the BoH, 2 amulets of life saving. That really had to hurt.

Matt Frisch wrote:
Congratulations on dealing with a hairy situation...

> wizardy neutralness (what causes a man to turn neutral? Greed? Lust for
> power? No matter, the showdown of Good vs Neutral begins again) and refused

....and nice Futurama reference.

--
-Harold Hill

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Matt Frisch wrote:

> While playing on NAO, fell through a trap door, and then came up on DL 38,
> took one step, and purple & pops up next to me..poisoned! sick! stunned!
> brain hurts!
>
> WTF!
>
> Demogorgon reads a scroll of Summon Monsters! Oh, hello pair of Master
> Mindflayers...
>
> Demogorgon summons Yeenoghu...

Ouch...
In Slash'em, I also happen to hate my own early bones of mages encountered
with mages of the same kind. How do you kill a hell hound pup when you're
a poor fighter and all you're magic/wands is fire based ?

> cursed fireproof magic marker (0:19)
>
> Why would you go through the bother of fireproofing a magic marker?

I usually always which for fixed items. Part of a routine. So when I which
for markers, they're fireproof.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

That was actually a chaotic monk not a rogue that I was playing.
I've been in a rut lately and haven't been playing very carefully. This monk
was basically just a fun one to see how many conducts I could break. He was
weilding Stormbringer and wearing dragon scale mail which was his downfall.
Demogorgon was summoned from the previous level which was Orcus town. Orcus
gated Demo in on the first turn.
I took Demo down a level and took a quick look at what I had. I had engraved
E and I was weilding a ! of paralysis to try and take him down.
Unfortunately the one ring I had been looking for - free action- I hadn't
been able to find.
Too quick of playing and pressing the space bar and DYWYPI. Glad you were
able to take him out. I was still trying to beef myself up to go on the
quest, so he wasn't quite kitted out yet.

> > cursed fireproof magic marker (0:19)

Force of habit, any wish I make usually starts out blessed fixed . . .

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> ...his grave donated a stormbringer, a fireproof
> +5 t-shirt (an armor slot I had currently been lacking in), a ring of
> levitation, and a key of master thievery

Wait a minute - quest artifacts in bones files? I thought that
didn't happen. Or is it only the ritual artifacts that won't appear
there?

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:
> Wait a minute - quest artifacts in bones files? I thought that
> didn't happen. Or is it only the ritual artifacts that won't appear
> there?

The Invocation Artifacts, the Amulet, your own class's Quest
Artifact, and any artifact that's already been generated in the game
will be turned into mundane items of the same type in bones files. Other
classes' Quest Artifacts are fair game.

I had a valk get her hands on the Heart of Ahriman (woo. feel
the excitement.) that way once, and a samurai who found the Eye of the
Aethiopica in a statue in the Valley of the Dead, but was quite
disappointed to be unable to pick it up.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:13:49 -0400, "d" <someone@microsoft.com> scribed
into the ether:

>That was actually a chaotic monk not a rogue that I was playing.

Fooled by the quest artifact :)

>Demogorgon was summoned from the previous level which was Orcus town. Orcus
>gated Demo in on the first turn.

I had Orcustown above that level as well...fortunately I was able to solve
the Orcus problem with a rubber chicken...and of course, Orcus had kind of
run out of nasties to summon and make my life harder.

>I took Demo down a level and took a quick look at what I had. I had engraved
>E and I was weilding a ! of paralysis to try and take him down.
>Unfortunately the one ring I had been looking for - free action- I hadn't
>been able to find.

I still don't have it either, when I saw the bones file, I was hoping for
one...but I have 3 or 4 wands of wishing, so I'm not exactly doomed.

>Too quick of playing and pressing the space bar and DYWYPI. Glad you were
>able to take him out.

Almost added my own bones to that level a couple of times. Not having any
silver weapons is a major nuisance there.

John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote:
> The Invocation Artifacts, the Amulet, your own class's Quest
>Artifact, and any artifact that's already been generated in the game
>will be turned into mundane items of the same type in bones files.

There are two object transformations in bones handling.

Some objects are transformed at bones-creation time - the Candelabrum
becomes a candle, the Book becomes blank paper, and the Bell becomes a
bell, and various other items are modified in certain ways (frex, tins
of unique monster meat become empty tins).

Artifact transformation is handled at bones-loading time.

>Other
>classes' Quest Artifacts are fair game.
>
> I had a valk get her hands on the Heart of Ahriman (woo. feel
>the excitement.) that way once,

I had Hanna the Barbarian get her hands on the Orb of Fate that way
once.

I managed to not YASD :)
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim

Latest posts