Windows 7 - Problem

RangerBE

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hello, I've got a problem with a laptop running windows 7, the problem I'm having is that the computer won't boot anymore, it freezes shortly after initially loading windows. Basically it freezes on this blue screen (not blue screen of death), kind of the same screen you get when first installing windows, only you know.. you don't get the option to select your language and stuff. I've tried everything from recovery to running in safe mode. I used my installation CD which allowed me to select a language but then failed to go any further, blocking on that same screen again. I could use the help

RangerBE

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Not exactly sure what you mean by that, but there is this built in 'test system' that came with the computer from HP, and it keeps saying the Hard Drive is the problem, So I'm guessing that's probably the issue

RangerBE

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Ok so my son took out the hard drive and plugged it into his computer and it showed that a new device connected, but there were no files on it, and it was only 200MB big it was called J:System, my son says it might be the windows reserved partition to boot

RangerBE

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Saving the hard drive isn't my main priority, saving the files on it however is.. there's some pretty important wedding foto's and such on it.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Since the hard drive is obviously gone bad enough that it cannot boot Windows, your only hope is to connect it to another system like you've done and try to recover your files. Download and install the two tools scout_03 has linked to on the other computer and try to recover your files from the other, larger partition that should be there, that's your best bet.

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue in relation to the HDD. You've pretty much figured out on your own that the HDD is to blame.

The HP system diagnostics are spot on when it comes to detecting failures. Like scout_03 mentioned, Recuva is one of the better programs (free at that) to try and salvage your data. Just hope that it's not a spindle failing in the hard drive or the only method to get anything off at that point would be to send it off and have someone remove the data by taking the hard drive apart in a clean room and scraping the actual heads.

TRENDING THREADS