Sign in with
Your question

[Urgent] Windows 7 Installation - Bunch of errors

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 27, 2013 4:53:12 PM

Hey Tom's Hardware Community,

So yesterday, I inserted an old disk I found that apparently had some of my old memories on, I put that in my disk drive, my PC lagged out, I could still move my mouse etc, then BAAAAAAAM a Blue Screen of Death ._. Not happy, so then my PC restarted, fair enough; it then gave me this weird error, something like no OS or something. So okay, I did all the checks, unplugging any USB's etc, checking BIOS for AHCI is on and not IDE, still no workies.

So then I grabbed a Win7 Installation Disc, when I went to custom install, this came up on the side.

*Yellow Exclamation Mark Triangle* Windows cannot be installed to this disk. (Show details)

So I press show details, then this dialogue box came up.

*Yellow Exclamation Mark Triangle* Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

So I went to my BIOS, did the same checks again, ran the installer again and then same thing happened. When I say checks I went to change it to IDE, same error again.

So fair enough, I reset my BIOS to default, same error again

So I searched online, and I burnt a program called DBAM, which nukes your harddrive, I ran that and it seemed to have cleared my drive, I think!

So I tried it again, same error.

So I then downloaded and burnt PartitionMagic or something like that, I couldn't run anything with it as it said "BadDisk" or something like that.

So as a last resort, I tried to install Ubuntu, same issues illustrated above.
After, I used DiskPart in the CMD, I couldn't make a partition as it gave me a I/O Error
"diskpart has encountered an error the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error"

Mmm, okay, so I tried to use the Win7 install again, still no damn luck, therefore I tried to use the new partition maker thing in the installation disk, another error came up. :/ 

a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 5:06:57 PM

Well it sounds like a hard disk error or the controler for that disk. When in your BIOS does the BIOS see the disk? is the controler enabled? Can you attach the hard disk to a different header?
January 27, 2013 5:17:01 PM

anonymous1 said:
Well it sounds like a hard disk error or the controler for that disk. When in your BIOS does the BIOS see the disk? is the controler enabled? Can you attach the hard disk to a different header?

How does one do that on a Lenovo H330?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 5:27:05 PM

when in your BIOS under hard drives does it list your drive?
does it show the controler as enabled?

opening the case you can follow the data cable from the drive to the motherboard.... there should be anouther header next to the one you are pluged into... switch to that header.
January 27, 2013 5:32:41 PM

anonymous1 said:
when in your BIOS under hard drives does it list your drive?
does it show the controler as enabled?

opening the case you can follow the data cable from the drive to the motherboard.... there should be anouther header next to the one you are pluged into... switch to that header.

I don't even KNOW what my drive is called... But it does have like a HDD1 or something like that on the primary boot sequence

So if I open up my PC case in the motherboard and if I follow the HDD thing I should have a wire connecting the motherboard? Do I transfer that cable to another connection.
January 27, 2013 5:41:51 PM

Okay I changed the socket for the HDD, same issue arises.
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 6:15:03 PM

Hold up horsey! your racing away with yourself here.
First of all, You found and old disk, A floppy disk, Cd or dvd you burned, or are you talking about an old Hd you found. By the message I will think it was it was an old Hd you tried to add to the computer.

If the case the next question is what type of interface is it using. Sata, or the old IDE 40 pin ribbion connector ? If It is an IDE you have to turn the options on for IDE connection controller interface first.
Then you can switch between IDE or Sata. If IDE 40 pin ribbion it should then work.
But your problem simply sounds like a bad or failed old drive.
January 27, 2013 6:20:32 PM

weaselman said:
Hold up horsey! your racing away with yourself here.
First of all, You found and old disk, A floppy disk, Cd or dvd you burned, or are you talking about an old Hd you found. By the message I will think it was it was an old Hd you tried to add to the computer.

If the case the next question is what type of interface is it using. Sata, or the old IDE 40 pin ribbion connector ?

Naw naw naw naw.

The HDD I'm talking about is the one that's INSIDE the PC, it's a Lenovo H330.
If you read my OP it says all the details.
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 6:29:21 PM

Right so it`s a tower system, that would of helped.
"So yesterday, I inserted an old disk I found that apparently had some of my old memories on" So another Hd was placed inside the case along with the Hd already in there, or was it swapped ?
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 6:35:45 PM

Oh dear, I bet you had the drive setup on the H330, as a Raid 0 array.
Just as a check may I ask you how many Hd were listed on the H330 system if you can remember ? 1 or two HD drives ? If the case it may of been set up in raid 0 mode, where both the drives work together.
If you turn raid mode off no OS can be found or the system will not boot into windows. " Missining operating system message" because it is set in normal Sata mode not raid mode.

In short if the option exists in the sata controler menu there will be one that says Raid mode, if it is off turn it on and save the settings. then rebbot. also make sure if the case and two drives do exist that the first is connected to Sata_1, and the other to Sata_2 ports of the motherboard.

January 28, 2013 1:30:04 PM

weaselman said:
Oh dear, I bet you had the drive setup on the H330, as a Raid 0 array.
Just as a check may I ask you how many Hd were listed on the H330 system if you can remember ? 1 or two HD drives ? If the case it may of been set up in raid 0 mode, where both the drives work together.
If you turn raid mode off no OS can be found or the system will not boot into windows. " Missining operating system message" because it is set in normal Sata mode not raid mode.

In short if the option exists in the sata controler menu there will be one that says Raid mode, if it is off turn it on and save the settings. then rebbot. also make sure if the case and two drives do exist that the first is connected to Sata_1, and the other to Sata_2 ports of the motherboard.

umm, I checked all around the BIOS and there is no RAID setting. There is 1 drive listed in the BIOS which is correct.

Also in my original post, when I say I put in a disk and had a blue screen of death, I mean a DVD/CD.
February 1, 2013 7:18:35 PM

fgdsacdfgnhjklkjhgfdtred
!