Sign in with
Your question

27inch Monitors at 1080p/1440p vs 21.5inch 1080p for gaming

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 7, 2013 11:35:04 PM

Hello, this is my first post here, so I don't know if I am posting this correctly or in the right area. However, my problem/question is this:

I currently have a 21.5inch Acer that is 1920x1080 in resolution, and is probably the best monitor I've ever owned. However, I find myself wanting more screen real estate for games like League of Legends, Dota2, WoW, Eve, Skyrim, etc. I mostly play RPGs, RTSs, and MMOs, however I still play FPSs from time to time. So I am looking to get a 27 inch monitor (30inch is a little too big, and I would rather keep a 16:9 ratio anyway). As a sidenote, I also play A LOT of console games on my monitor (and I understand that a lot of these games are upscaled from 720p or lower as it is), as well as streaming a lot of movies from them, or from Netflix, or other services. What, if any, benefits or downsides are there to these if I upgrade to either a 27inch 1080p or 1440p?

However, I do not know if it is worthwhile to get a 27inch monitor if it is anything less than 2560x1440 resolution. I see TONS of 27inch monitors that are 1920x1080, and think to myself that these must look terrible because they are being upscaled so much, yet the price of a monitor that size with a 2560x1440 res is around 2.5-3 times higher, or more, than those that are 1080 and is extremely offputting (especially considering that I may need a newer or better graphics card. I currently have a 560ti 448 FTW Edition card with 1280mb on it).

So I guess in short my question is this, is it worth it to upgrade from my monitor to either of these options (27inch 1080p or 27inch 1440p)? What problems would I run into with the two? If I were to upgrade to either, would I need to upgrade my graphics card considerably?

Also, I would keep the old 21.5inch monitor and use it as a second screen to replace the 1680x1050 monitor I am using as my second one now.

Thanks in advance for your insight/help/advice/opinions/etc :) .
February 8, 2013 2:20:11 AM

I don't think it would be worth it for you to upgrade. A 27inch screen would have way fewer pixels per square inch. I think you would have trouble running games in 1440p with you gpu.
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:04:49 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking, however I am willing to spend 1200 or so on a monitor and graphics card if there is any solution that is worthwhile. I would still have my 1920x1080 21.5inch as my second screen (I use a dual monitor setup as mentioned above for watching videos while playing games or looking at guides, streams, reading, etc).

If anything I suppose I could play console games on my old monitor, but then I still would like to know if the 2560x1440 monitors would look nice while playing PC games.

I plan on getting a GTX670 4GB or a GTX680 if I decide on a monitor, just looking for suggestions as to which monitors are good for gaming at that resolution.

I was doing some research and I think, if I recall correctly, that 1920x1080 has a pixel density of 110 per inch or so, and the 2560x1440 is around 101 or something along those lines. Would it be that noticeable with such a larger screen?
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 3:08:15 AM

Quote:
A 27" 1440p monitor is the sensible upgrade but you'll be turning settings way down on demanding games with that GPU.

How much you'd have to upgrade your GPU depends on the exact games, settings, and framerates you would want - you didn't list any games that are terribly demanding so you may be able to get away with it on your 560ti as long as you aren't anal about maxing every setting.

I wholeheartedly endorse this monitor for your consideration:
www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Mo...

It's one of the Korean 1440p IPS panels but it's stateside, has HDCP support (so you can watch netflix or watch movies etc from your consoles), and has all the inputs you need to hook up multiple devices. The only real downside to the monitor is that the stand is a bit flimsy and it doesn't exactly have the world's most attractive bezel/frame.

Yeah, I like to max all the settings, typically.

So you would recommend this monitor at that price over a $600-700 Dell? The only thing that worries me about that monitor is the fact that I have never heard of that brand before :( .
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:27:56 AM

Quote:

My solution to the issue of never hearing of the brand was to double check that Microcenter would let me return it for even one dead pixel and to pick up a 3 year SquareTrade warranty on the monitor :D 

So SquareTrade would fix or replace it if I purchase a warranty through them, regardless of if the manufacturer is US based or not?

It is tempting, but I have been reading through some forum posts on other sites and trying to find reviews (which is hard, or I'm tired and not looking hard enough) and some of it is less than stellar, yet it's got a 98% approval rate on MicroCenter.

How long have you had yours?
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:40:10 AM

Yeah I have seen reviews for that and a bunch of other offbrand companies that use the same panels as Dell and such, but that they are rated slightly lower or rejected, hence why they have them for cheaper.

I'm just worried that I would pay the 400, have it be DOA and then get stuck with store credit or try my had at another one. I also don't have much experience with MicroCenter either.
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:08:09 AM

Fair enough, thanks for the replies!

I'll see if I can't get down to MicroCenter tomorrow or something and see if they have one up and running somewhere so I can take a look at it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2013 7:38:51 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Computer Peripherals by Mousemonkey
m
l
February 13, 2013 9:44:13 PM

I was planning on getting this Auria 27" too, and about a week ago, I started seeing people reporting that unbeknownst to them, they ended up with a matte screen with an AG coating that bothered them so much they returned it. The reports came from the Chicago and Huston areas (so far). It's a little odd that there are no reviews on Microcenter.com reflecting this (no pun inteded).

There is no indication that you are getting a matte or glossy on the website, and even the chat support said he had no way to verify for sure.

I have no idea if the glossies are being phased out, or if it's just a random batch, but thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Because of this, I might be back to the drawing board, as nearly 2 hours round trip and 400 bucks is too much to not know what I'm getting.
m
l
!