Windows black screen of death

Sam222

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hello,
A few days ago I left my computer on hibernate mode, after about an hour when I came back to open my laptop it just froze on the user select menu. I had to manually restart. I then booted up again but I got a black screen before it even got to the windows logo. However it seems like the computer is running ( the fan is making its usual noise, I can see the lights on the keyboards etc.) but I just can not see anything on the screen. I am not even able to go into any type of mode since I can't see what I am doing, I also can not check the BIOS since again I cannot see anything. The only recent download, which was on the day this happened, was a game called mount and blade warband but I got it through steam so I don't think it could be that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I am currently running windows 7 home premium

Nothing at all on the screen, not even at boot time, indicates a hardware fault, nothing to do with gameplay or any other software.

It's difficult to diagnose the specific problem from a distance but any one of these spring to mind:

Screen needs replacing.
Screen inverter board needs replacing.
Screen backlight needs replacing.
Graphics chip has failed.

You need to have someone take a look at it who knows a thing or two about laptop screen or related components replacement.

MARY BUELA

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I had the same problem last month. I spent two weeks trying every suggestion I found on the internet. I was sure it was a virus, because so many users had the same problem. I finally took it to a computer repair shop, and it needed a new inverter. I never suspected a hardware problem. The charge was $25 for parts and $75 for labor, but the inverter was a used part.

Oct 3, 2013

Mary, there is no such thing as an inverter in your computer. You've been had. The real issue is a security permissions flaw in Microsoft updates, that occasionally get fixed with a new update...

thedudenl

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
If anyone has this issue, the screen not coming back after sleep mode but the computer seems to be working fine in the background, and you have installed Samsung Magician, please get rid of it!

I've received this 'magical' piece of software with my EVO 840 SSD and never suspected it before I actually saw an error on the screen after resuming from sleep mode within a few seconds. It is ridiculous of Samsung to ship this piece of crap software with their drives since it's been known that it can cause this behavior.

Hope this can help people, it has cost me many hours of troubleshooting, I even re-installed windows 7 and thought the problem was gone, but of course it started again after I installed Magician, thats why I got suspicious!

biboxxl

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
Sorry mate, we have the issue after updates in our company.
Not one PC or NB has this Magican Samsung tool installed but plenty of them got this failure/ issue after MS updates !

So for me it was the following:
F8 -> Windows safe boot option
1. sfc -scannow
restart
2. chkdsk /r /f
restart
3. disconnect LAN Patch from machine.

4 Logon possible :)

if not try to add another user in windows ( another solution from another forum)

Bytheway: @ home i have this tool :) but till now i never got such a blackscreen ;)