Shooting trousers

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Hi All,

I’ve had my eye on a pair of Deerhunter trousers but the price tag has
been putting me off. What I need is a pair of water “resistant”, wind
proof, comfortable but quite trousers. I’ve got a few pairs of Gore-tex
over trousers and some nylon things but they neither do the job with easy.
Has anyone found the ideal “stalking/shooting” trousers at a reasonable
price?

TIA

John

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On 12 Apr 2004 08:37:50 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
wrote:
>snippety snip<
>Hi All,
>
>I’ve had my eye on a pair of Deerhunter trousers but the price tag has
>been putting me off. What I need is a pair of water “resistant”, wind
>proof, comfortable but quite trousers.

Moleskin breeches are what I'd recommend.

Deerhunter gear is excellent.

Of course with ankles like mine, I need a solitary pastime!

It's going to be game fair season pretty soon and the prospect of all
those remaindered/old stock bins gets the wallet itching!
From Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Being eaten by a crocodile is just like falling asleep in a blender"
Bart Simpson

Pete <pete.ansbro@virgin.net> wrote in

> On 12 Apr 2004 08:37:50 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
> wrote:
> >snippety snip<
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I’ve had my eye on a pair of Deerhunter trousers but the price tag has
>>been putting me off. What I need is a pair of water “resistant”, wind
>>proof, comfortable but quite trousers.
>
> Moleskin breeches are what I'd recommend.

I’ve been comfortably using a pair of German ex-army moleskin trousers
for last seasons stalking but alas they really let me down at the
beginning of the roe rut, cold very wet and windy = very sad looking
John.
Thus my strive for more “modern” equivalents at bargain prices :)
I have found a supplier of “Craghopper” trousers but alas they only have
them in Ink, Blue and “Deerskin” (lol) colours.

> Deerhunter gear is excellent.

Short arms long pockets :)

> Of course with ankles like mine, I need a solitary pastime!
>
> It's going to be game fair season pretty soon and the prospect of all
> those remaindered/old stock bins gets the wallet itching!

I guess I’ll be along side you, fighting for a new set of breeches :)

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

John, think i've got just the thing for you chappies!

I've just taken on a range of new clothing made by the 'Ratcatcher' brand.
We've got a fantastic range of Breeks and Trousers in this brand, all available
in soft cord or moleskin, as well as moleskin shirts, moleskin/tweed caps, rain
chokers and a new range of lightweight moleskin 'strides' Trousers.

AND - if you would like to contact me off-list I'll give you a decent
'mates-rates' price.

Matt

agridesign*@aol.com
(remove * to email)

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

"John" <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I've had my eye on a pair of Deerhunter trousers but the price tag has
> been putting me off. What I need is a pair of water "resistant", wind
> proof, comfortable but quite trousers. I've got a few pairs of Gore-tex
> over trousers and some nylon things but they neither do the job with easy.
> Has anyone found the ideal "stalking/shooting" trousers at a reasonable
> price?
>
> TIA
>
> John
You could always look on ebay there seems to be no shortage of gortex lined
gear but if you check the us sites that will export to the UK there are tons
realtree seem nice and comfy and quiet or did you fancy something more
formal?
Derek

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On 12 Apr 2004 10:17:00 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
wrote:
>snippety snip<

>Short arms long pockets :)

You a northerner too?

>I guess I’ll be along side you, fighting for a new set of breeches :)

Better watch out for the wiry little ah heck running under your elbow
-- that won't be me!

From Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The message <Xns94C962057414133453223212125454325@130.133.1.4>
from John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net> contains these words:

> I’ve had my eye on a pair of Deerhunter trousers but the price tag has
> been putting me off. What I need is a pair of water “resistant”, wind
> proof, comfortable but quite trousers. I’ve got a few pairs of Gore-tex
> over trousers and some nylon things but they neither do the job with easy.
> Has anyone found the ideal “stalking/shooting” trousers at a reasonable
> price?

I bought Realtree trousers and a matching jacket three years ago, and
they're still going strong. I think I paid over £240 for the jacket and
about £125 for the trousers. I'd replace them tomorrow without any
hesitation. I have never, ever been wet in them and, believe me, they
get some real hard work during the season here.

The material is what's known as saddle cloth and is completely wind and
water proof. And by 'water proof', I mean I have quite literally lain
in, and crawled through, pools of water up to three inches deep, without
getting wet. Expensive, I know, but as a product I can't endorse them
strongly enough. Real life savers.

The Deerhunter Jacket I bought two years ago let in water like a sieve.
Right enough, it was atrocious weather at the time, but that's exactly
when you need protection the most. I reproofed the jacket using 'Fabsil'
fabric proofer and that seems to have solved the problem. But a brand
new jacket shouldn't have needed such treatment in the first place. I
wasn't impressed.

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland

lurch

On 12 Apr 2004 11:04:55 GMT, agridesign@aol.com (Agri Design) wrote:

>John, think i've got just the thing for you chappies!
>
>I've just taken on a range of new clothing made by the 'Ratcatcher' brand.
>We've got a fantastic range of Breeks and Trousers in this brand, all available
>in soft cord or moleskin, as well as moleskin shirts, moleskin/tweed caps, rain
>chokers and a new range of lightweight moleskin 'strides' Trousers.
>
>AND - if you would like to contact me off-list I'll give you a decent
>'mates-rates' price.
>
>Matt
>
>agridesign*@aol.com
>(remove * to email)

D'you have a website?
The obvious candidate is showing an error....

--
Mark
http://www.cssd.org.uk http://www.thelurch.co.uk

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"John" <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I've had my eye on a pair of Deerhunter trousers but the price tag has
> been putting me off. What I need is a pair of water "resistant", wind
> proof, comfortable but quite trousers. I've got a few pairs of Gore-tex
> over trousers and some nylon things but they neither do the job with easy.
> Has anyone found the ideal "stalking/shooting" trousers at a reasonable
> price?
>
> TIA
>
> John

I bought the Deerhunter suit last October (I beieve they have improved the
wter proofing in them over the last 2 years) the trousers are warm, quite
and comfortable. No problems with them when laying down on wet ground for
hours on end.

They may be expensive, but you get what you pay for. All the pockets in the
jacket (there are lots of pockets (makes finding your fags a chore!)) all
have zips. Got mine from the Sportsmans at Paignton Devon - got a good deal
with them.

Peter (Somerset)

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

The message <c5ipfl$itf$1@hercules.btinternet.com>
from "Peter \(Somerset\)" <peter.horn1@dogbtinternet.com> contains these
words:

> I bought the Deerhunter suit last October (I beieve they have improved the
> wter proofing in them over the last 2 years) the trousers are warm, quite
> and comfortable. No problems with them when laying down on wet ground for
> hours on end.

The material the manufacturer uses is soft and very quiet, particularly
useful when crawling through heather. As far as waterproofing is
concerned I may have been unlucky with the particular jacket I bought.
Not major problems since I reproofed it.

> They may be expensive, but you get what you pay for. All the pockets in the
> jacket (there are lots of pockets (makes finding your fags a chore!)) all
> have zips. Got mine from the Sportsmans at Paignton Devon - got a good deal
> with them.

As you say, plenty of pockets. I mostly wear my jacket when I'm on the
river and need to carry boxes of flys, rolls of nylon, a thermometer and
disgorger, not to mention the set of debarbers and artery forceps. Then
there's the boxes of double hooks; treble hooks and single hooks, plus
the camera for photographing specimen fish, a tagging gun and spare tags
and a roll of insulating tape for taping up rod joints...

Just had a quick check; ten pockets and they're all full!

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Mark - answer is yes, www.flintwood.co.uk
Clothing range is not currently on there though as website is about to be
re-designed.

tks

Matt