Grappling a grappler

Big improved grab creature sees a dwarf and starts a grapple (at +50 or so).
Since it's in no danger of losing, it chooses to take -20 to keep its AC and
threaten . It does, and the wee little dwarf cries like a girl. The
dwarf's friend shows up (a druid/ warshaper in the form of a legendary bear
with animal growth- also a big grapple machine) and goes to join the
grapple.

1) does the original creature take a -20 on the opposed grapple with the
druid

2) if the druid manages to start a grapple, does the mean creature still
threaten

I have my own opinions here, but there was some 2:00 am disagreements going
on last night
( I believe that NO, the creature is not at -20 vs. the druid (only against
the dwarf) and that NO, the creature no longer threatens because the Druid's
grapple stops it from threatening (even though its own grapple with the
dwarf lets it threaten)

Rich

Eyebyte wrote:
> Big improved grab creature sees a dwarf and starts a grapple (at +50
> or so). Since it's in no danger of losing, it chooses to take -20 to
> keep its AC and threaten . It does, and the wee little dwarf cries
> like a girl. The dwarf's friend shows up (a druid/ warshaper in the
> form of a legendary bear with animal growth- also a big grapple
> machine) and goes to join the grapple.
>
> 1) does the original creature take a -20 on the opposed grapple with the
> druid

Yes. When a creature chooses a one-handed grab, "it takes a -20 penalty
on grapple checks" (SRD, definition of Improved Grab). I would apply
that to all grapple checks, not just against the initial creature. A
normal grapple assumes that you use your whole body and all appendages.
If you choose the one-handed option, you limit your ability to grapple
both the original target and any subsequent grapplers (because you're
not using your whole body for either).

> 2) if the druid manages to start a grapple, does the mean creature
> still threaten

No. If the druid successfully initiates a grapple, then both of them are
"grappled" and suffer the usual penalties for that state.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

"Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@rogers.com> wrote in message
> 1) does the original creature take a -20 on the opposed grapple with the
druid

Yes, unless he lets go of his first victim.

> 2) if the druid manages to start a grapple, does the mean creature still
threaten

No, because the *creature* is now in a grapple with the druid.

The -20 rule for grappling with "reduced limbs" lets you put someone
else in a grappled state without having to enter their square. It
certainly doesn't prevent you from being grabbed and grappled yourself by
someone else. In fact, it makes it harder to resist such attempts, because
you now have to "one-handed grapple" *everyone* who tries to engage you in
that fashion, rather than fighting them off with all your might.

-Michael