No power kav60 after flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

jertwobits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
I just bought this kav60 from a business surpluss sale, and did not know that I could just clear the password on it. Acer's KB told me to reflash the bios, and there was an updated bios available. I booted to a flash drive and ran the updae. It said successful, and I waited for over an hour for it to reboot with no change. The KB said to power it down if no reboot, so I did. it is a brick now. no power of any kind.

The only instructions that I can find for anything close to this is if it powers up but black screen. The FN + Esc trick will not work if I can't get any power.

Any Ideas would be appreciated. I am very good with a solder iron, so I am not opposed to pulling and replacing a component if I need to, but after the one fix, I am concerned about doing anything else without some advice.

Thank you very much!

Hello jertwobits;

You're going to need to work this issue with Acer. I've seen adverts from online stores that claim to sell a BIOS replacement but I can't say as I'd trust the majority of them.

You might find a local shop that has the correct external device to flash the BIOS chip (removed from the motherboard) without needing an operating notebook.

jertwobits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Thank you for the rapid response.

Acer is less than helpful. I actually spent most of the night on chat with them, but because the warranty is a couple of months expired, they refuse to do anything but offer to sell me a new motherboard even though it was their instructions that bricked it. Do you know if there is somewhere that I could wipe the bios or maybe where are these places that sell the replacements, and I will research before purchasing a matching chip? I know that I could remove it and replace it myself. The other problem is that I am not even sure where the bios chip is on this motherboard.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.