Rat traps

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Dear NG,

I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which kills the
Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it. It is powered by AA
bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply tip it out into a
bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is no poison to use and no
lethal springs to try and reset. To me it sounds ideal but i was wondering
if anyone out there had any thoughts on it or had infact used one?

lurch

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:22:11 +0100, "Richard Pease"
<rpease@netbreeze.co.uk> wrote:

>Dear NG,
>
>I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which kills the
>Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it. It is powered by AA
>bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply tip it out into a
>bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is no poison to use and no
>lethal springs to try and reset. To me it sounds ideal but i was wondering
>if anyone out there had any thoughts on it or had infact used one?

AA batteries?
Does it have around a million of them?
Rat's aren't the biggest of mammals, but I'd have thought it would
take more power than a handfull of AA's could provide to deliver the
coup de grace.

--
Mark
http://www.cssd.org.uk http://www.thelurch.co.uk

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Lurch <mark@cssdNo_OrgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:22:11 +0100, "Richard Pease"
> <rpease@netbreeze.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Dear NG,
>>
>>I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which kills
>>the Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it. It is
>>powered by AA bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply
>>tip it out into a bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is
>>no poison to use and no lethal springs to try and reset. To me it
>>sounds ideal but i was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts
>>on it or had infact used one?
>>

> AA batteries?
> Does it have around a million of them?
> Rat's aren't the biggest of mammals, but I'd have thought it would
> take more power than a handfull of AA's could provide to deliver the
> coup de grace.

A friend of mine uses the same principle (not with AA’s) :)
He cut down a 50gal drum, cut two arches out of either side and cut a
sheet of ply to fit the diameter of the drum. In the centre of the ply
(directly in the middle of the two arches) he stabled four welding rods
and 5mm apart, to this he attached a mains cable, alternating live,
neutral feeds.
He baits the trap with grain and as a bonus he found that the house
fuses blow if more than one rat enters the trap. Quite lethal and bloody
dangerous but it works :)

As you say, I find it hard to believe that 3v can supply enough current
to finish ff a rat.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>As you say, I find it hard to believe that 3v can supply enough current >to
finish ff a rat.
It can, look at a car, 12 volts through a coil and distributor produces
1,000,000's of volts, enough to spark a plug. So I should think that with solid
state technology it would be simple, cheers, Norman.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

seaangling@aol.com (SEAANGLING) wrote in

>>As you say, I find it hard to believe that 3v can supply enough
>>current >to
> finish ff a rat.
> It can, look at a car, 12 volts through a coil and distributor
> produces 1,000,000's of volts, enough to spark a plug. So I should
> think that with solid state technology it would be simple, cheers,

A car battery can easily supply 60 amps (you can nickel weld with two in
parallel) but an AA will supply ½ amp if you’re lucky. You have to
remember that it’s not the voltage that kills, it the current.
1,000,000v will not kill you if it’s low current (forgetting the
pacemaker :) ), 1,000,000 amps will fry your ass!

John

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

"Richard Pease" <rpease@netbreeze.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dear NG,
>
> I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which kills the
> Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it. It is powered by
AA
> bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply tip it out into a
> bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is no poison to use and
no
> lethal springs to try and reset. To me it sounds ideal but i was wondering
> if anyone out there had any thoughts on it or had infact used one?

Stun guns work on the same principle. Just a few PP3's to render a full
grown human incapable.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Ricky" <pffft@(remove)ntlworld.com> wrote in

> "Richard Pease" <rpease@netbreeze.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Dear NG,
>>
>> I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which
>> kills the Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it.
>> It is powered by
> AA
>> bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply tip it out
>> into a bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is no poison
>> to use and
> no
>> lethal springs to try and reset. To me it sounds ideal but i was
>> wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on it or had infact
>> used one?
>>

> Stun guns work on the same principle. Just a few PP3's to render a
> full grown human incapable.

They work by disrupting the nerve paths much like a TENS unit but unless
the victim has a weak heart it will not kill because of the low current.

John

djm

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

The old saying for electricians is,
Its the volt that jolts
but it only the mills (milliamps) that kills.

"John" <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net> wrote in message
> "Ricky" <pffft@(remove)ntlworld.com> wrote in
>

> > "Richard Pease" <rpease@netbreeze.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Dear NG,
> >>
> >> I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which
> >> kills the Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it.
> >> It is powered by
> > AA
> >> bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply tip it out
> >> into a bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is no poison
> >> to use and
> > no
> >> lethal springs to try and reset. To me it sounds ideal but i was
> >> wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on it or had infact
> >> used one?
> >>

> > Stun guns work on the same principle. Just a few PP3's to render a
> > full grown human incapable.
> >

> They work by disrupting the nerve paths much like a TENS unit but unless
> the victim has a weak heart it will not kill because of the low current.
>
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"DJM" <fgh@bbh.co.uk> wrote in news:c5rmro$148$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

> The old saying for electricians is,
> Its the volt that jolts
> but it only the mills (milliamps) that kills.

Not sure, I’ve been thinking about this and although I know it’s the
current that kills, theoretically if enough voltage was applied for
enough time (especially AC) then there is a fair chance of disrupting
heart function.
It’s the stun gun that got me thinking.
It’s very easy to convert a standard camera flash unit in to a very
usable stun gun or indeed rat trap if theory turned to practice. So
again in theory it would be a simple affair to take a camera flash, make
a tunnel and run two power lines down the tunnel, total cost would be
around £2 (pickup a camera flash from a boot sale). My guess would be
that the death would not be instantaneous and that the rat would touch
the electrodes and jump off, much like cattle do on an electric fence,
indeed the principles are exactly the same but the effect would be
greater on such a small animal (??), I might get around to making one.

John

keith

> "DJM" <fgh@bbh.co.uk> wrote in news:c5rmro$148$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > The old saying for electricians is,
> > Its the volt that jolts
> > but it only the mills (milliamps) that kills.
> >

> Not sure, I've been thinking about this and although I know it's the
> current that kills, theoretically if enough voltage was applied for
> enough time (especially AC) then there is a fair chance of disrupting
> heart function.
> It's the stun gun that got me thinking.
> It's very easy to convert a standard camera flash unit in to a very
> usable stun gun or indeed rat trap if theory turned to practice. So
> again in theory it would be a simple affair to take a camera flash, make
> a tunnel and run two power lines down the tunnel, total cost would be
> around £2 (pickup a camera flash from a boot sale). My guess would be
> that the death would not be instantaneous and that the rat would touch
> the electrodes and jump off, much like cattle do on an electric fence,
> indeed the principles are exactly the same but the effect would be
> greater on such a small animal (??), I might get around to making one.
>
> John

Totally off thread now ;-))

Did any one see the escaped piggy film last weekend?
I didn't, but the trailer had a man wielding an electric prod.....
these being illegal to use in the UK.
Looked like a bit of yokel bashing and I'm sure they said it was
based on the"true" story.

Keith.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In message <c5rr83$qek$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, keith
<keith.williams44@btopenworld.com> writes

>Did any one see the escaped piggy film last weekend?
> I didn't, but the trailer had a man wielding an electric prod.....
>these being illegal to use in the UK.

Illegal on what basis? They are not 'stun guns', they are not weapons,
thus they are not prohibited under section 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act
1968, viz:

"any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the
discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing; "

--Jonathan

"Justice is open to everybody in the same way as the Ritz Hotel."
Judge Sturgess, 22 July 1928

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:12:24 +0100, Lurch wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:22:11 +0100, "Richard Pease"
><rpease@netbreeze.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Dear NG,
>>
>>I have recently heard of a new Rat Trap out on the market which kills the
>>Rats/mice by an electric shock as soon as they enter it. It is powered by AA
>>bateries and once the rat is dead inside you can simply tip it out into a
>>bag to dispose of it. This also means that there is no poison to use and no
>>lethal springs to try and reset. To me it sounds ideal but i was wondering
>>if anyone out there had any thoughts on it or had infact used one?
>>

>AA batteries?
>Does it have around a million of them?
>Rat's aren't the biggest of mammals, but I'd have thought it would
>take more power than a handfull of AA's could provide to deliver the
>coup de grace.

See http://www.pestproducts.com/rat_zapper.htm

Whether it works is another matter...
--
Phil Cook

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:26:57 +0100, Jonathan Spencer wrote:

>In message <c5rr83$qek$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, keith
><keith.williams44@btopenworld.com> writes
>
>>Did any one see the escaped piggy film last weekend?
>> I didn't, but the trailer had a man wielding an electric prod.....
>>these being illegal to use in the UK.
>
>Illegal on what basis? They are not 'stun guns', they are not weapons,
>thus they are not prohibited under section 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act
>1968, viz:
>
>"any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the
>discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing; "

Possibly Keith is thinking of this:

The Welfare of Animals at Markets Order 1990

Control of animals
8.—(1) No person shall use excessive force to control any animals
in a market.

(2) Subject to paragraph (3) below, no person shall use in a
market—
(a) any instrument which is capable of inflicting an electric shock
to control any animals;
(b) any stick, goad or other instrument or thing to hit or prod any
calves; or
(c) any stick (other than a flat slap stick or a slap marker),
non-electric goad or other instrument or thing to hit or prod any
pigs.

(3) The prohibition in paragraph (2)(a) above shall not apply to
the use of an instrument mentioned in that paragraph, on the
hindquarters of any cattle over the age of 6 months or adult pigs
which are refusing to move forward when there is space for them to do
so.

Source:
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uksi_19902628_en_1.htm
--
Phil Cook

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Did you read the website's disclaimer? :)

"Professional Pest Control Products, is a distributor of various pest
control supplies and other products.
As such, Professional Pest Control Products does not warranty the safety or
the effectiveness of any of the products mentioned on this website."

keith

"Phil Cook" <u-r-s-g@p-t-cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:26:57 +0100, Jonathan Spencer wrote:
>
> Possibly Keith is thinking of this:
>
> The Welfare of Animals at Markets Order 1990
>
> Control of animals
> 8.-(1) No person shall use excessive force to control any animals
> in a market.
>
> (2) Subject to paragraph (3) below, no person shall use in a
> market-
> (a) any instrument which is capable of inflicting an electric shock
> to control any animals;
> (b) any stick, goad or other instrument or thing to hit or prod any
> calves; or
> (c) any stick (other than a flat slap stick or a slap marker),
> non-electric goad or other instrument or thing to hit or prod any
> pigs.
>
> (3) The prohibition in paragraph (2)(a) above shall not apply to
> the use of an instrument mentioned in that paragraph, on the
> hindquarters of any cattle over the age of 6 months or adult pigs
> which are refusing to move forward when there is space for them to do
> so.
>
> Source:
> http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uksi_19902628_en_1.htm
> --
> Phil Cook

That's the one, but I thought that it was a general ban. Maybe not as
electric dog collars are legal.

Keith.

TRENDING THREADS