Sign in with
Your question

Want to replace my wireless b adapter with a wireless g, ibm t41

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 9, 2011 4:18:17 PM

I have an older IBM t41 and wanted to replace the wireless b adapter with a wirless g adapter. Do I just need to switch the boards out and everything will work or will drivers need to be downloaded?
a b F Wireless
a c 572 D Laptop
April 9, 2011 4:42:23 PM

Hello goblues;

Should be no problem. And you might as well get the wireless N adapter as well. I think the prices should be very close between the B/G and GBN adapters.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
a c 572 D Laptop
April 9, 2011 4:59:30 PM

ThinkWiki points out an issue using non-IBM/Lenovo parts due to a 'vendor code'
Problem with unauthorized MiniPCI network card

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_PRO/Wireless_LAN_2100_3B_Mini_PCI_Adapter this might be you T41 wireless adapter.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_PRO/Wireless_2915ABG_Mini-PCI_Adapter this is one of the T42 B/G wireless adapters and should have the same vendor code - it's the same $25 part as above.

T40/T41/T42 FRU service manual

m
l
April 26, 2011 2:04:04 AM

WR2 said:
Hello goblues;

Should be no problem. And you might as well get the wireless N adapter as well. I think the prices should be very close between the B/G and GBN adapters.

I installed the new wireless card but after turning it on after the installation I got the following message "1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the miniPCI network card".

I looked into it, but I really don't know what to do now. I'm afraid of the BIOS thing, so not sure what a good solution would be at this point.

Thanks

Steve
m
l
a b F Wireless
a c 572 D Laptop
April 26, 2011 2:34:46 AM

What wireless card did you get?
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:24:50 AM

WR2 said:
What wireless card did you get?

This is the card I purchased off of Ebay. 2915ABG Intel Pro Wireless Network card Mini PCI. I thought it would work and it was only a few bucks, guess I will learn the next time. Think I'm going to order 41N2990. I did see a 41N2991, would that work as well?

Thanks for your help!!!

Steve
m
l
!