3D TV for gaming

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Hey all .. im doing a bit of a project right now.

Basicially im building a racing setup. wheel + pedals + shifter and want to sit it in front of a TV .. my current one is only 720p so thought id upgrade to 1080p, and the thought of 3D crossed my mind.. it wont be solely used for racing games though ill use it for normal watching of the odd tv show, and streaming starcraft games to watch .. however i thought i could set it up next to my PC and that a bit of 3D gaming now and then could be fun since its not going to cost too much more.

is it worth buying a 3D TV or should i look towards 120hz PC monitors? from what ive read 3D via HDTV's is quite low resolution compared to the PC monitors?

Thoughts ? have up to 1200USD maybe a bit more if the product is good. max size 50" .. I live in New Zealand so models you guys have may be different to here.

i have read a little about NVIDIA 3DTV Play, is this what i would use ?

My current hardware :
i7 2600K @ 5ghz
geforce GTX465 <-- would upgrading this help much ? i may look into it

Here is a list of TV's available in New Zealand .. i would love some reccomendations ..or am i looking at this all wrong?

Thank you !!!

If you wish to use a TV for 3D gaming, you will be limited to 720p if you want more than 24hz. 3D TV's do not give the required connections to get 1080p in 3D with 60hz (per eye).

You'll want a Monitor for that. I'd recommend 3D Vision for this project, which means Nvidia graphics card(s).

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008

Thanks for the response ! the tradeoff for 720p 3D gaming for the bigger size (42-50") vs a 30" 120hz monitor to me is heading in the direction of the larger viewing.. simply because i want to be immersed in the racing game!...however 24hz(per eye?) sounds horrible!!!

i have never experienced 3D gaming and would be unlikely to at any stores around here, but considering the price isnt much more than standard TV's i thought why not... or is it not worth doing on 3DTV's ?

I was considering the Samsung UA50ES6200 as its a great price, and includes 2x 3D glasses. i wouldn't use this for watching movies (i find movies boring) so if the 3D gaming isnt worthwhile i may just scrap the 3D idea. or reconsider the smaller display with nvidia 3d vision and a 700 series card when they are released! .. i will probably buy a 700 series card when they come out anyway if the money is right.

my poor little gtx465 is going to be pushed to its max!

by the way you have a nice rig, SLI 680's must be amazing!!!

You are going to want to go through this for compatible displays.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html

Or if you are dead set on 3D TV, you'll want to look here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

Keep in mind, playing on a 40" TV from 10 feet away isn't much different than playing on a 27" monitor at 2 feet away.

Also, you should be aware, that 3D Vision will drop your FPS to nearly half. You may also want to be aware of this link for fixes of many popular games:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Thanks .. i am definitely set on a TV as opposed to a monitor due to not wanting to be restricted to 30" and i would like this to double as a screen for watching starcraft 2 livestreams, and various other media i may wish to view on a bigscreen.

KDL46HX750 is a TV here i quite like the look of, but dont see it listed as supported by nvidia 3d play, however the KDL-40HX750 and KDL-55HX750 are .. would it be fair to assume the model i like doesnt support this ? that was from http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

im not sure if 55" would be too big... ill be trying out my racing setup in front of my friends 40" bravia today to see how that feels.. but part of me wants to go large :p

With the framerate halving i will most likely need to upgrade my gtx465, so i will buy a 700 series card when they come out (march ?)

Dropping to 720p in 3D may offset the loss in performance for 3D. I would not assume anything as far as supported TV's go. You may have to contact Nvidia if you want to check on that model, or even doing a Google search will normally find articles on it. If nothing is found, it probably isn't supported.

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Thanks, i posted up on nvidia forums and this was part of the response.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/529345/3d-vision/newbie-to-3d-couple-of-questions-regarding-3d-play-and-3d-tv-39-s/

"As long as the TV is 3D capable and HDMI 1.4 compliant, you can get it added to the supported list by following the instructions at http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2774

3D HDTVs are generally added by users and not manufacturers, hence the exclusion. Simply put....no one has submitted it yet "

Thanks for your help bystander, you have been most helpful :)

It is not entirely about "bandwidth", HDMI 1.4a and below cannot receive at 120hz regardless of resolution size. Even 720p @ 60hz, in 3D, only receives image at 60hz. They just pack 2 images in each transmission, one for each eye. HDMI 1.4b is spec'ed to fix this problem.

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Excellent, thank you for that info :) i am learning at a rapid pace!!

so 1.4b allows "true" 60hz images to each eye at 720p and 1.4a doesnt .. interesting ! Does 1.4b still limit 1080p to 23hz? is the difference of the true 60hz 1.4b and 60hz packed from 1.4a much ?

the Sony KDL46HX750 is 1.4b from what i can tell, so i will be able to run true 60hz to each eye from what i can tell .. will just need a HDMI 1.4b cable to go with the TV.

sorry for all of the questions, i really appreciate the help bystander

No, 1.4b allows true 120hz, even at 1080p. 1.4a allows for a max of 60hz, but with the use of frame packing, which allows two images to be sent to the monitor in a single transmission, it can still do 3D at 60hz per eye, limited to 720p.

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Im just going from what a workmate told me

"anythin 2011 or later with 1.4 is 1.4b"

but if what you are saying is true (i trust you a lot more than him) then perhaps he is wrong and its not 1.4b

That is very wrong. There are no HDMI 1.4b TV's in the market at all, from what I can tell. If you can't find a letter after the HDMI 1.4 part, it probably does not support even HDMI 1.4a. There are TONS of TV's that have been released since that date that is still HDMI 1.4a or lower.

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Thank you !

ok i have run a new search, to find TV's that are 1.4 and 1.4a from a list of NZ suppliers and have come up with only 3 TV's in my price range.

Sony Bravia KDL-40EX720 - 1.4a
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 - 1.4a
Sony Bravia KDL-46NX720 - 1.4

quick research tells me that 1.4 supports 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24 and 1.4a added side-by-side horizontal at either 1080i50 or 1080i60 and top-and-bottom at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24

so 1.4a is a clear winner here .. now i have two TV's to pick from

Sony Bravia KDL-40EX720 - 1.4a
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 - 1.4a

I will go and demo both TV's this weekend. i contacted the sony store and they are happy to plug in a PS3 with Gran Turismo so i can get a feel for the 46" screen size.

I can't thank you enough for the help bystander .. is there any further info you think i need to consider?

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
What is it designed to work with then? sorry i really am new to 3D gaming so i dont really understand how it works too well.

would i be able to use those patches on games if they arent part of nvidia 3DTV play? or are they just designed for 120hz dual-link DVI pc monitor setups. or is that what you aren't sure about?

Also i am a little concerned about the TV i found .. the KDL-46EX720 is from early 2011 .. surely this isnt the only 1.4a 3D TV available here ! i guess the search site im using isnt updated very well...

There likely are more, but it is very tough to find, as they almost never advertise the HDMI version.

That is a link to a mod community site, which has fixes for many 3D Vision games. While you are using 3DTV play, it still may work, but I don't know for sure. All the fixes envolve copying a folder \shadowoveride and a d3d9.dll file to the game directory. They tell you for each fix, but they are all the same from what I've seen.

The problem with 3D is many game dev's don't even consider it, even if it would be simple to make work, they don't. Those mods fix many games that otherwise have issues, such has shadows which are 2D.