G

I bought a new computer about a month ago with a 1333 athlon cpu. When I run the asus probe I find the temp runs at around 62 degrees celsius idle. Would that be considered too hot? I checked on the amd website and the upper limit for the cpu is 95

G

I would have to say that's a little bit on the hot side. The 1.33's I've built are usually in the range 45-50C. Check what kind of fan that they put in. We usually use CoolerMaster fans rated for a couple hundred MHz more then what the CPU is. For the 1.33, try the EP5-6I51 with some thermal grease.

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.

G

Asus probes as many will tell you can be 10 deg C out more or less. Find another way to check it.

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I have read information from numerous sites that generally place the Asus Probe as being around 10 C hotter than it is actually. Don't trust any of the built in stuff like that.

G

I have found that PC Probe gives me 61C at idle, while Motherboard Monitor gives me around 51C at idle.

I have seen posts indicating that PC Probe gives higher results, but I have not yet seen a link to information which would explain why Asus would purposely design and manufacture a hardware monitor which is installed on hundreds of thousands of motherboards, and does not even come close to being correct.

My biggest fear here is that PC Probe is actually correct here.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
may i suggest you leave your computer running idle till the temp stabilises,
record the asus probe temp, reboot and check the temp in the bios, then also download MotherBoard MOnitor 5 and have a look at the core temp there.

u will probably find that asus probe is a bag of DUNG.
my analprobe reports my core temp being 9 deg C hotter than what it actually is using a number of other programs.

delete asus's analprobe from your system.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.