.22rf bullet modifications

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Hi all,

Something to read if it's raining where you live :)

"For many years I have used .22LR ammo utilizing the wide meplat concept
employed in the LBT style bullets. Although there are now commercial
tools available for this purpose, I have been using jigs made in the
home workshop for nearly twenty years for this purpose. Granted they
aren't made of hardened tool steel, but they do work for years and years
if used with any amount of care. They can be made from cold rolled round
stock steel, old cut off .22 barrels, or mild steel bar stock.
Simply cut off the cold rolled stock, the .22 barrel or the bar stock so
that it is 0.910" long, making sure the ends are perfectly square. Then
drill a hole of .240" with a number 73 drill, completely through the
0.910" length of the steel. This being done, you are ready to make some
wide meplat .22LR ammo!

Insert a .22LR cartridge in the drilled hole, holding the rim of the
cartridge firmly in the jig from the bottom, then file off the
protruding nose of the bullet with a mill flat file. File the nose off
until flush with the jig, as shown in the photo. You will find that
these modified bullets will kill game quickly and cleanly with much more
dramatic kills than hollowpoints, and with less meat loss! Penetration
is superior when compared to HP ammo, and accuracy is not impaired at
all. In fact, in some guns when comparing this flat meplat modified ammo
to the original configuration; accuracy is actually slightly better than
the factory form, due to less unsupported nose weight in the barrel, and
better form stability in flight. The time spent to build a jig, then
modify your ammo is well worth the investment if superior performance on
live targets is desired with your .22 rimfire! Even the cheapest .22
ammo makes superb game killing rounds provided the accuracy is
acceptable in your firearm!"

(http://beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/25)

John

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On 12 May 2004 10:05:44 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
wrote:
>snippety snip<

>"For many years I have used .22LR ammo utilizing the wide meplat concept
>employed in the LBT style bullets. Although there are now commercial
>tools available for this purpose, I have been using jigs made in the
>home workshop for nearly twenty years for this purpose. Granted they
>aren't made of hardened tool steel, but they do work for years and years
>if used with any amount of care.

I have one of these gizmos:

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

IN THE PHOTO BELOW (PHASE III) THE RE-DESIGNED NASTINOSE IS THE FIRST
TOOL, LONGER AND THINNER. THE NEW PHASE IV, BABY SCORP’N, IS THE
SHORTER AND HEFTIER VERSION. BOTH DO DIFFERENT THINGS.... AND PRODUCE
DIFFERENT TYPES OF 22 RIMFIRE AMMO.

THE NASTINOSE PRODUCES A DISHED HOLLOW POINT THAT LOOKS LIKE AN
ASHTRAY FOR A 22RF NOSE. WHEN IT STRIKES THE TARGET, IT OPENS QUICKLY
AND EFFICIENTLY... UNLIKE MOST COMMERCIAL 22RF AMMO WITH SMALL HOLES
AND NEGLIGIBLE EXPANSION FOR HOLLOW POINTS... THE NASTINOSE WILL OPEN
EVEN STANDARD VELOCITY AMMO. IT WILL NOT EXPLODE ON CONTACT LIKE THE
HYPER-VELOCITY AMMO. EVEN 22 RIMFIRE SHORTS WILL WORK LIKE THEY NEVER
HAD BEFORE.

Do I use it a lot? Nah! I play with it now and then.

From Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Being eaten by a crocodile is just like falling asleep in a blender"
Bart Simpson

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On 12 May 2004 20:16:10 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
wrote:
>snippety snip<

>Quote “TOP EXPANDED BULLET IS A 40 GRAIN STANDARD VELOCITY TAKEN FROM A
>CAT”

Yes, I thought you'd pick that up. American you understand. Vermin of
all kinds over there it seems. Bobcat, lynx or domestic kitty?

Myself, I think that the .22/250 does a fine job at 200 yards. They
shouldn't be messin around the rearing pens.

From Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pete <pete.ansbro@virgin.net> wrote in

> Yes, I thought you'd pick that up. American you understand. Vermin of
> all kinds over there it seems. Bobcat, lynx or domestic kitty?
>
> Myself, I think that the .22/250 does a fine job at 200 yards. They
> shouldn't be messin around the rearing pens.

But Pete old bud, the yanks love our rearing pens :)

We have a serious rabbit problem this year and fields have to be
reseeded as a result. My phone has been ringing non-stop.
A few nights back, I visited one farm and counted (close estimate) 200
wabbits in just one field of barley, the chap has twenty such fields.
I do not normally partake in vermin shooting of this type but this year
is the exception, the plan is to set-up some 100 yds away with the
sniper-pod (did I send you photos?), range them little beasties with the
laser range finder, check the wind on the anemometer , check the bal
chart and fire. I’m ashamed to admit its bloody good shooting, akin to
prairie dog shooting from the US.
The target varies from 30 to 250yds, all precise calculated shots. I
have gained so much over the last few weeks and will apply a lot of it
to Fallow stalking next season (the principle set-up).

John

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On 13 May 2004 07:33:28 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
wrote:
>snippety snip<

>We have a serious rabbit problem this year and fields have to be
>reseeded as a result. My phone has been ringing non-stop.
>A few nights back, I visited one farm and counted (close estimate) 200
>wabbits in just one field

Not one to spoil anyone's sport but mighn't gassing be equally
effective?

From Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Being eaten by a crocodile is just like falling asleep in a blender"
Bart Simpson

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Wheres the fun in gassing?

Nothing like wandering between large fields with a semi auto 22 and
back to back butler creek magazines carrying 50 shots at a time
blasting away at dozens of rabbits either in daytime or nightime. As
for precision and cost effectivieness, who cares?

> On 13 May 2004 07:33:28 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net>
> wrote:
> >snippety snip<
>
>>We have a serious rabbit problem this year and fields have to be
>>reseeded as a result. My phone has been ringing non-stop.
>>A few nights back, I visited one farm and counted (close estimate) 200
>>wabbits in just one field
>
> Not one to spoil anyone's sport but mighn't gassing be equally
> effective?

Just the thing I’m trying to avoid.

Rabbits feed the dogs all winter; it would cost a fortune in skinners
otherwise.

I am also fond of a rabbit pie or two, so gassing is something I don’t
want to happen.
The other side of the coin is that if I don’t get the numbers down, the
landowner / landowners will rip the hedges up next season. I’ve been
told by a few that they don’t give two hoots about the law; the hedges
will go if the rabbits stay. You obviously know what the results would
be and how it would affect the local birds, not to mention my rabbit
stalking. If there’s one thing I hate, it’s a hedge-less countryside.
The Lapwings have just retuned to one farm, it has to be one of the most
joyful of occasions to watch the chick run the tramlines. It’s been many
years since their last visit. There seems to be a serious decline in
Buzzards this year, which maybe the reason for the Lapwings.

John

TRENDING THREADS