What's in a name? (brain freeze)

Hi-

Is there a list somewhere of PC makers? I ask because I made
scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify one. It
starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again. Several
letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a "big name". Not
much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help I'd be very grateful...

TMIA-

- Susan

Acer? Alienware?

"Susan G" <smg@bestweb.net> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> Is there a list somewhere of PC makers? I ask because I made
> scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
> machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify one. It
> starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again. Several
> letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a "big name". Not
> much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help I'd be very grateful...
>
> TMIA-
>
> - Susan

> Acer? Alienware?

Asus, Abit ?

Hi-

I don't think those are right. Darn! but thanks much for your
suggestions!

This was a relatively big case (not a mini-tower) -- more like the
old-style Compaq Presario, Zeos, etc., but it was surprisingly light.
It had a Seagate drive in it (don't know if that was the original).

The first thing that came to mind was "Acera", but I think that's a
bicycle part manufacturer<g>!

Oh, well. Not the end of the world! I still think if I saw it I'd
recognize it, and it still seems to me it was 3 syllables...

Again, I appreciate your help!

-Susan

AOpen??? ... Ben Myers

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:18:49 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:

>Hi-
>
>I don't think those are right. Darn! but thanks much for your
>suggestions!
>
>This was a relatively big case (not a mini-tower) -- more like the
>old-style Compaq Presario, Zeos, etc., but it was surprisingly light.
>It had a Seagate drive in it (don't know if that was the original).
>
>The first thing that came to mind was "Acera", but I think that's a
>bicycle part manufacturer<g>!
>
>Oh, well. Not the end of the world! I still think if I saw it I'd
>recognize it, and it still seems to me it was 3 syllables...
>
>Again, I appreciate your help!
>
>-Susan

The organic entity known as Susan G communicated the following:

> Is there a list somewhere of PC makers? I ask because I made
> scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
> machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify one. It
> starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again. Several
> letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a "big name". Not
> much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help I'd be very grateful...

Perhaps one of these is of help:

http://www.machine-room.org/computers/?p=A
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/name.asp?st=1&l=A

--
Hans

>Susan G smg@bestweb.net

>Hi-
>
>Is there a list somewhere of PC makers? I ask because I made
>scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
>machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify one. It
>starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again. Several
>letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a "big name". Not
>much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help I'd be very grateful...

Atari? :)

(remembers his Atari 800 fondly--it had 64 KB of memory!)

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales) wrote:

>>Susan G smg@bestweb.net

>>scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
>>machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify one. It
>>starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again. Several
>>letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a "big name". Not
>>much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help I'd be very grateful...

>Atari? :)
>
>(remembers his Atari 800 fondly--it had 64 KB of memory!)

Sic transit gloria mundi.

I would have thought this would be one of the first suggestions,
even if in jest. Alas, apparently the Atari lives only in the
memory of die-hard, grey-haired [or worse, bald/balding] computer
geeks.
--
OJ III

Hi Ben-

>AOpen???

Bingo!

Thanks-

Susan

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:57:44 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>AOpen??? ... Ben Myers
>
>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:18:49 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi-
>>
>>I don't think those are right. Darn! but thanks much for your
>>suggestions!
>>
>>This was a relatively big case (not a mini-tower) -- more like the
>>old-style Compaq Presario, Zeos, etc., but it was surprisingly light.
>>It had a Seagate drive in it (don't know if that was the original).
>>
>>The first thing that came to mind was "Acera", but I think that's a
>>bicycle part manufacturer<g>!
>>
>>Oh, well. Not the end of the world! I still think if I saw it I'd
>>recognize it, and it still seems to me it was 3 syllables...
>>
>>Again, I appreciate your help!
>>
>>-Susan

I'll buy you a beer when you're in the neighborhood!

Thanks again-

(Ben Myers) wrote:

>AOpen??? ... Ben Myers
>
>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:18:49 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi-
>>
>>I don't think those are right. Darn! but thanks much for your
>>suggestions!
>>
>>This was a relatively big case (not a mini-tower) -- more like the
>>old-style Compaq Presario, Zeos, etc., but it was surprisingly light.
>>It had a Seagate drive in it (don't know if that was the original).
>>
>>The first thing that came to mind was "Acera", but I think that's a
>>bicycle part manufacturer<g>!
>>
>>Oh, well. Not the end of the world! I still think if I saw it I'd
>>recognize it, and it still seems to me it was 3 syllables...
>>
>>Again, I appreciate your help!
>>
>>-Susan

Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote in

> Hi-
>
> Is there a list somewhere of PC makers? I ask because I made
> scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
> machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify
> one. It starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again.
> Several letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a
> "big name". Not much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help
> I'd be very grateful...
>
> TMIA-
>
> - Susan

Amstrad? Apple? :)

How about Amdahl? Wouldn't be Acer, would it? Is there a prize for the right
answer?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Frank le Spikkin" <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote in
>
> > Hi-
> >
> > Is there a list somewhere of PC makers? I ask because I made
> > scrupulous notes (well, almost<g>) of what I did with several
> > machines, but in reviewing them I see I neglected to identify
> > one. It starts with an "A", and I'd know it if I saw it again.
> > Several letters. It was familiar to me, but definitely not a
> > "big name". Not much to go on, I know, but if anyone can help
> > I'd be very grateful...
> >
> > TMIA-
> >
> > - Susan
>
> Amstrad? Apple? :)

Hi Ted-

>Is there a prize for the right answer?
My undying gratitude?

-Susan

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:34:39 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>How about Amdahl? Wouldn't be Acer, would it? Is there a prize for the right
>answer?

Hi-

You all earn my thanks for your excellent suggestions! Thanks very
much!

-Susan

That's an offer I can't refuse... Ben

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:22:25 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:

>I'll buy you a beer when you're in the neighborhood!
>
>Thanks again-
>
>-Susan
>
>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:57:44 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>AOpen??? ... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:18:49 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi-
>>>
>>>I don't think those are right. Darn! but thanks much for your
>>>suggestions!
>>>
>>>This was a relatively big case (not a mini-tower) -- more like the
>>>old-style Compaq Presario, Zeos, etc., but it was surprisingly light.
>>>It had a Seagate drive in it (don't know if that was the original).
>>>
>>>The first thing that came to mind was "Acera", but I think that's a
>>>bicycle part manufacturer<g>!
>>>
>>>Oh, well. Not the end of the world! I still think if I saw it I'd
>>>recognize it, and it still seems to me it was 3 syllables...
>>>
>>>Again, I appreciate your help!
>>>
>>>-Susan

That was going to be my next guess. Is there a consolation prize?
--
Ted Zieglar

> Hi Ben-
>
> >AOpen???
>
> Bingo!
>
> Thanks-
>
> Susan
>

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:57:44 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
> >AOpen??? ... Ben Myers
> >
> >On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:18:49 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi-
> >>
> >>I don't think those are right. Darn! but thanks much for your
> >>suggestions!
> >>
> >>This was a relatively big case (not a mini-tower) -- more like the
> >>old-style Compaq Presario, Zeos, etc., but it was surprisingly light.
> >>It had a Seagate drive in it (don't know if that was the original).
> >>
> >>The first thing that came to mind was "Acera", but I think that's a
> >>bicycle part manufacturer<g>!
> >>
> >>Oh, well. Not the end of the world! I still think if I saw it I'd
> >>recognize it, and it still seems to me it was 3 syllables...
> >>
> >>Again, I appreciate your help!
> >>
> >>-Susan

I'll buy you a Diet Pepsi when you're in the neighborhood ;-)!

-Susan

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:22:44 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>That was going to be my next guess. Is there a consolation prize?

Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:

>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>>That was going to be my next guess. Is there a consolation prize?

>I'll buy you a Diet Pepsi when you're in the neighborhood ;-)!

Pshaw! *Real* computer geeks go Mountain Dew instead of Jolt
when they're going the "Diet" route. ;->
--
OJ III

LOL!

-Susan

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:54:39 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
>>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>That was going to be my next guess. Is there a consolation prize?
>
>>I'll buy you a Diet Pepsi when you're in the neighborhood ;-)!
>
>Pshaw! *Real* computer geeks go Mountain Dew instead of Jolt
>when they're going the "Diet" route. ;->

And for computer trivia lovers, AOpen renamed itself BenQ. Not sure what the
product quality of BenQ stuff is, but the AOpen cases, motherboards, and other
parts I saw up to a couple of years ago were good quality stuff... Ben Myers