Sign in with
Your question

Keyboards

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 9, 2013 8:25:40 PM

Hi everyone, I want to have a good discussion about mechanical keyboards. I personally use a Duckey Dk9008 and a Corsair K90, both with cherry mx reds, and my friend uses the Razer blackwidow with cherry mx blues. We recently had a heated discussion about wich switch was better and that lead me to wonder what the community thinks. From what i already said about what keyboards i have you can probably tell that i am in love with cherry mx reds not only for gaming but also for typing. I think they are super smooth and are not obnoxiously loud over voice chat (while in game) The only downside i see to them is the time it takes to get used to the sensitivity of the switch. What do you think.
-Zeal123

More about : keyboards

February 10, 2013 5:01:21 AM

Different switches for different purposes, that simple I think.
Its like saying a tractor is too slow, or a Porsche has pathetic towing capacity.

MX Reds are more for gaming boards, they have a smooth travel so you cant really feel the actuation point and aren't as noisy as blues.
MX Blacks are like reds but require a bit more force to push down, as well as being even quieter than reds.
MX Blue's you can feel the actuation point a lot more clearly, and are louder.
MX Browns are quieter Blue's.

Also how do you like your Ducky DK9008? Just ordered an MX Brown one recently and has yet to arrive, any issues you'v had with it?
February 10, 2013 2:01:28 PM

manofchalk said:
Different switches for different purposes, that simple I think.
Its like saying a tractor is too slow, or a Porsche has pathetic towing capacity.

MX Reds are more for gaming boards, they have a smooth travel so you cant really feel the actuation point and aren't as noisy as blues.
MX Blacks are like reds but require a bit more force to push down, as well as being even quieter than reds.
MX Blue's you can feel the actuation point a lot more clearly, and are louder.
MX Browns are quieter Blue's.

Also how do you like your Ducky DK9008? Just ordered an MX Brown one recently and has yet to arrive, any issues you'v had with it?

I have had no problems at all with my ducky. It is a solidly built keyboard that is currently my favorite. When I only had a k90 by corsair i saw the ducky shine 2 on a website and i wanted it badly. THen i saw it @ microcenter and i bought it. If you are in the US could u please tell me were u ordered it from b/c i really want a shine 2 to match my blue led setup.
Related resources
February 10, 2013 7:34:56 PM

Sorry, I'm in Australia.
Ducky is a Taiwanese company, so that probably explains why their hard to find in the US, while I had about 5 different LED colours in 4 different switches available to me.

Think Ebay might be your best bet.
February 11, 2013 3:19:35 PM

as stated above: different types of switches are better or worse depending on application and more importantly personal preferences.

as far as the best switch ever made? there is only one. the original ibm buckling spring keyswitch. it is by far the longest lasting, most accurate and best performing of all switches.

modern products are not even in the same league.

is it loud? yes. its supposed to be. this is for auditory feedback.
is it clicky? yes. its supposed to be. this is so you know when the key activates.
is it hard to press? yes. its supposed to be. this is so you do not accidentally press keys.

i've routinely trounced gamers on $200 keyboards and $100 mice with an old 1985 ibm keyboard and office mouse while still being able to type at maximum speed. i've used every style of keyswitch in practically every application and the difference is night and day.

of course, this is all my personal experience. everyone has their own opinion (i just think they have wimpy girl fingers) so may likewise not like my choice. this is why other products exist and have their own following.
!