Display on my monitor

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hello,I have a Samsung monitor, and when viewing my digital pictures, what are parallel thin lines appear like discontinuous lines. I can see the same pictures well enough on my TV set. Is there a way to correct it?.Did I come to the right place for help?
Thank you in advance
sebastian pons

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hi, there. Thank you for your reply, . I have taken a screen shot where you can see what I'm talking about, as well as a shot of the same picture from a standard viewer. However, I am new here so I don't know how to post images. Can you help?
sebastian pons

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
quick reply. I don't condense the image. I use the "set as a wallpaper" feature from windows xp. I also didn't resize it. As for posting an image, I think I got it. I just need to open an account to a "cloud" storage site... checking.
S.

You can use...

http://imageshack.us/

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.flickr.com/

Plenty of hosting sites out there.

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you. Here are the pics:

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/boatp.jpg/

http://img573.imageshack.us/i/screenwb.jpg/

Is this how it works? Can you open it?

sebastian pons

Hmmm... Those pictures are not coming up full screen. What resolution is your monitor and did you reduce the size of the images you uploaded?

It could be that imageshack reduces the size to save bandwidth. I don't upload pictures to hosting site.

---------------------------------------------------

Anyway, even from the reduced size pictures I can tell there is a difference between the original image and the desktop image.

What is the resolution of the original picture?

i dont have time to be comparing photos but...

if the source image is a different size than your native resolution (1152x864?) then the "set as desktop" will scale it down automatically. you can go in and change this by using the "center" command instead of "stretch" under display properties.

I still say the visual effect you are seeing is from stretching the larger resolution photo to match your desktop. we need to know the resolution x by x of the source image. think of it as scaling 3 pixels to fit on two pixels... you're going to have some sort of distortion.

let us know. thanks.

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hello ssddx. You were right, I had enabled the stretch command however, changing to center "enlarged" the original....
I don't understand what you mean by resolution in this concept. Can you explain, or instruct me on how do I retrieve the information?

Thank you
S

Windows is resizing the image to fit the monitor, even if you are not, causing the issue. Usually a wallpaper site will offer different versions of the image to download. What model monitor do you have? You seem to be using a bit of an odd resolution and refresh rate. If you have an LCD, set refresh to 60.. if not, to 75.

To resize the image, you can use a tool like Ifranview (free) or Photoshop (very not free). You need to resize it to the same scale as ssddx said. So the width divided by the hight will be the same #. Which in your case, it is (1.3 to 1 or 3 to 4 which is normal for a square monitor). Resize the image to match the resolution you are using.

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you hang-the-9. My monitor is a Samsung Sync Master 953BW/953GW. It is not "square" as I understand the term. It meassures 25c. by 41cm. Sorry, I don't quite get the inches thing. I know it's about 2.5cm maybe....

Anyway, ir the image's size is a problem, I can resize it, i guess. I don't have Irfanview on my machine at the moment, but downloading is not a problem. In the meanwhile I've changed the refresh rate to 60 as you sugested.
So, how, and to what to resize? Sorry if I seem thick, but I don't know much, but I'm always ready to learn...and to ask :)
Thank you again
sebastian pons

By square I mean not wide-screen, 3:4 ratio instead of 16:9

You are actually using a very bad resolution for your monitor. The monitor is a wide-screen, but you are scrunching the image in a 3:4 ratio setup up to be used for a non-wide screen monitor. Based on the resolution you were using I assumed you had a 3:4 ratio monitor.

Set your Windows resolution to 1440x900, which is the native resolution for the monitor. Right now I'm betting all of your icons, text and images look a bit stretched. Any image setup for a 3:4 size will look stretched when viewed full screen on a wide monitor, but once you fix your resolution, the odd tearing should be gone.

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you. I've changed the resolution to 1440x900 as per your advice, and the text and images (not the desktop) look elongated. Screen shots next. But first I've taken a screen shot of my monitor with the image stretched and centered. Is it normal that it looks zoomed?

ttp://img823.imageshack.us/i/strech.jpg/

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/center

By the way, the image is mine and not downloaded from a site. And for some reason the screen grabs are shrinked to 800x600

Thank you
S

Your picture's aspect ratio is 4:3 and your monitor's aspect ratio is 16:9. It would be best to use a program like Infanview and resize the picture.

In Irfanview you can do so by clicking "Image" then select "Resize/Resample". In the "Set new size" section enter 1440 for the width and 1080 for the height, then click "OK". This will reduce the size of the picture while maintaining the aspect ratio of 4:3.

Then set this new resized picture as your desktop and in the "Position" field select center. The top and bottom of the picture will be cut off when you look at the desktop since the monitor's resolution is 1440 x 900.

You can download Irfanview from the following site if you don't have it yet.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/299-irfanview.html

Something is not sounding right. That model is a 19" wide screen, and has a 1440x900 native res, nothing should look stretched unless you are trying to fit images full screen on it that were created in the 3:4 ratio.

How do the icons and icon text look? Web pages look OK?

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hi again. To my knowledge, I didn't try to fit images . I've taken a screen grab out of a very standard windows card game. It comes with the OS, and it is not manipulated in any way. To me it looks like the cards are elongated, and that they are smaller than they should be and kind of long... Or it could be that I'm used to other resolution. What do you think?

http://img141.imageshack.us/i/cardsa.jpg/

S.

That looks perfect, look at the text also, no distortion. It looks different to you because you were used to the distorted images that were created by using the wrong aspect ration to begin with. Before you were stretching everything to look un-naturally fat, much like a wide screen movie that is squished to fit a square TV, everything looks skinnier, in your case, everything looks fatter.

to sum it all up:

since 1440x900 is your monitors standard resolution (as they suggested) your desktop appears normal now that you have your windows resolution set to 1440x900.

unless you use photos of 1440x900 resolution (or very close) there will be distortion when setting them as background images using the stretch command. if you have the photo in a folder just clicking on it will put X by X dimensions in the left column near the preview. centered is just showing you the photos "real" size relative to your screen size. for example if the photo was 1920x1080... it would look much bigger than your 1440x900 monitor.

if you don't mind using a bmp file (winxp) or if you have win7 you could always use mspaint which comes with windows. just rescale it down until either the height matches 900 or the width matches 1440. scale it so that the "other" dimension is larger than your native resolution. next crop the image to lop off the extra pixels on the sides and you will end up with a perfectly sized image.

as for the cards in a windows card game... if you are running your monitor at 1440x900 under display properties (as we have said many times) then what you see is how the card game should look. i'd say they look about 1.25 to 1.5 units high by 1 unit wide to me.

sebastian pons

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you all!!
Problem solved. I resized the original picture (was 3678x2736) to 1440x900, and the distortion just went away. :bounce:

And having come that far, is there anything else I could/should do to improve the quality of the display, or is it as good as it will get? Not that I'm complaining....
Take care
sebastian pons

Setup proper resolution, 32 bit color, you can check on the contrast/brightness settings to get a good black and white level. Usually default settings are not too good. Take a look here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/