Slow laptop question

I have a question about my laptop. It has been getting progressively slower in terms of booting, opening and loading files, and even browsing the internet. I know that this is not the best laptop and that it is old.
My question is whether I can do any upgrades to speed it up. Would a new hard drive speed things up? Or any other options? I am not in any position to buy a new computer, but just looking for some kind of quick fix if possible.
Here are the specs:
Compaq Presario CQ60
CPU: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62, 2000 MHz
HDD: Hitachi HTS543225L9A300 ATA Device
SATA/300 - 5400 rpm - 8 MB Buffer - 2.5"
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8200M G

Thank you for any advice.
6 answers Last reply
More about slow laptop question
  1. Have you tried reformatting the hdd?
  2. Sorry, I guess I should have included what I have done already.

I scan for viruses and spyware regularly. I run CCleaner on a regular basis along with defrag. I have already tweaked Vista to limit what I don't need as well as tweaking my startup files and services.
    I have also reformatted the hard drive and saw no change in speed. In fact, it seems to be getting slower, which is why I'm hoping I could just get a newer faster HDD and that would suffice. I should add that this is my laptop that I use when I'm not on my desktop.
  3. Unless the hard drive is going bad, the system should not be getting slower especially after you re-installed the OS. So a drive upgrade to a 7200 rpm or an SSD may be a good move.
  4. Thanks, I am hoping that upgrading the drive will make this computer much more tolerable.
  5. I was told to select the best answer. I've only gotten 2 answers and I suppose one was good, but I was hoping for more feedback than 2 people. I will not be selecting a best answer because of the fact that there are only 2 answers here.
  6. Try to check the temps of your laptop... If it gets too hot then try to clean it out. Clean the vents, apply new thermal paste etc...
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Hard Drives