G

Of the new PIII tualatins, either the 1.13 with 512k cache, or the 1.2 with 256k cache? Is the few clock speeds more important than the extra cache? I am using it mainly for gaming, but do other things as well (like get giddy over high benchmark scores!).

They are about the same price. Of course, if I had the money, I would get the 1.2 with 512k. But I am using that money on my other o/c project (both of these being my first), and AMD 1.2 AXIA I got for free. BTW, what can I reasonably expect the 1.2 AXIA to overclock to?

Thanks for the help guys.

deez - in ya mouth!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i think the one you got for free is better...
cauz its...welll... free??? lol

i would go for the one with more cache.
remember: you can always increase the speed by overclocking, cand do the same with the cache size.

personally though, the best processor you can buy nowerdays is the apple IIe.

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AXIA to 1.5(ish) if youre lucky... id personally go for the 1.2 with 256 cache if its a gaming machine... you arent going to get a performance gain out of the cache... games are becoming more and more dependant on graphics cards anyway... above a certain clock speed cpu becomes irrelevant to performance...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With the Tualatins, 512k is better than 256k, you can always overclock to make up the speed difference. Only the 512k versions are beeting equally clocked Athlons in benchmarks, the 256k versions are not.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Not according to the benchmarks I posted in .13 512k vs a4.
They do however beat equally clocked tbirds.(i think thats what you meant)

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. And new chipsets could widen the gap with the A4. My next sytems is up in the air right now, there's about a 50% chance I could go back to AMD next year. My choice will be based on the motherboard more than the processor.

Video killed my Radio Card!