Dell or Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxorlight

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to decide between Dell and Asus. I use long hours, for small business need good sound for recording, good cooling system because I spend a lot of time in Egypt heat. Want to keep it under $1000
I'm looking at Dell Inspiron 15R and Asus U31F-11YR-RX132V Notebook prices are comparable.

Solution
The Dell inspiron has a dedicated Radeon 5470 or 5650 which will beat the Intel HD graphic in the ASUS by miles. Do you really need the compact size of the Asus U31F? Because you are comparing a 15 inch Dell with a 13 inch Asus and the 13 inch will be more expensive with less power simply due to the compact factor.
The Dell inspiron has a dedicated Radeon 5470 or 5650 which will beat the Intel HD graphic in the ASUS by miles. Do you really need the compact size of the Asus U31F? Because you are comparing a 15 inch Dell with a 13 inch Asus and the 13 inch will be more expensive with less power simply due to the compact factor.

Solution

luxorlight

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Thankyou, No I guess I don't really need to the smaller size, it's just what I'm used to. Thanks again, I think I have decided to go with the Dell having had one for 4 years with lots of travel and working around 12+ hours a day... I'll give them a go again. Good advice by the way.

What country are you purchasing the notebook in? It's relevant because the brands and models you have specified have different processor and graphics options depending on which region/country in the world you purchase them in.

Even better, if you can get a model with a Sandy Bridge mobile processor.

luxorlight

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Oh, I am in Australia

The New Inspiron 15R N5110 uses the Sandy Bridge-based mobile processors (i.e. 2nd Generation Intel Core processors).

Note the word "New" in the model name. The Inspiron 15R model without the "New" designation uses older first generation Intel Core processors.

Get the model with the Intel Core i5 2410M Processor (2.3GHz/3MB cache) and NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M - 1GB video card.

Don't expect the build quality to be very good.

luxorlight

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

What do you mean don't expect the build quality to be very good? Do you mean it won't last? Would I be better off to buy an Asus for solid lasting??
Thanks for helping.

I have a Dell for 7 years and no problem. But there are people in this forum with Dell that have many hardware issues. Many people praise Asus's quality but I have a Ausu laptop that I have to RMA. I am going to stay neutral in quality matter regarding Dell and Asus.

Yes. Dell is not known for notebook reliability but at least it's reliability is better than HP, Gateway, Acer and Lenovo.

ASUS has the best reliability based on malfunction rates followed by Toshiba, Sony, Apple and then Dell.

luxorlight

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Ok, thanks for that. I have had a Dell laptop for 4 years and it has done a lot of work including in Egyptian heat so if I get that much out of this one again I will be happy. But I still have a few days up my sleeve to decide. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.