Boosting a weak signal

Last response: in Networking
November 22, 2004 9:36:44 AM

I have an old house that is 3 stories. Lots of plaster,
brick walls, etc. Computer is on the 3rd floor with an MN-
700 router attached to it. On the first floor we have a
sunporch that has a tin roof on top. When I use my laptop
(with MN-720 adapter card), signal strength is excellent
on 3rd floor and 2nd floor. When I try to use it in the
sunporch, I have very weak or no signal, often lose the
connection, etc.

Question: Is there something, preferably wireless, that I
can put on the 2nd floor to "relay" the signal? There
must be something that is used when you are too far from
the wireless access point.

More about : boosting weak signal

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 10:07:15 AM

You could use either another MN-700 in access mode closer to the blind spot,
but it would need to be wired to the base station, or a true Access Point.
Microsoft does not make an Access Point. You may want to see the
information in MVP Barb Bowman's column regarding segmenting:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp...
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Dave Gigantelli" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an old house that is 3 stories. Lots of plaster,
> brick walls, etc. Computer is on the 3rd floor with an MN-
> 700 router attached to it. On the first floor we have a
> sunporch that has a tin roof on top. When I use my laptop
> (with MN-720 adapter card), signal strength is excellent
> on 3rd floor and 2nd floor. When I try to use it in the
> sunporch, I have very weak or no signal, often lose the
> connection, etc.
>
> Question: Is there something, preferably wireless, that I
> can put on the 2nd floor to "relay" the signal? There
> must be something that is used when you are too far from
> the wireless access point.
November 22, 2004 10:39:02 PM

Dave:

I've been hanging out at Radio Shack a lot the last few days wrestling my
network into place, and I noticed a wireless repeater on the shelf. I didn't
buy one, but it looked like it received the wireless signal and gave it a
boost in passing it on. Just a thought.

JP

"Dave Gigantelli" wrote:

> I have an old house that is 3 stories. Lots of plaster,
> brick walls, etc. Computer is on the 3rd floor with an MN-
> 700 router attached to it. On the first floor we have a
> sunporch that has a tin roof on top. When I use my laptop
> (with MN-720 adapter card), signal strength is excellent
> on 3rd floor and 2nd floor. When I try to use it in the
> sunporch, I have very weak or no signal, often lose the
> connection, etc.
>
> Question: Is there something, preferably wireless, that I
> can put on the 2nd floor to "relay" the signal? There
> must be something that is used when you are too far from
> the wireless access point.

November 23, 2004 1:32:33 AM

THe problem is that it won't work with either the MN-500 or MN-700
unless it is hardwired to the router, as the Microsoft routers do not
support WDS.

JP wrote:

> Dave:
>
> I've been hanging out at Radio Shack a lot the last few days wrestling my
> network into place, and I noticed a wireless repeater on the shelf. I didn't
> buy one, but it looked like it received the wireless signal and gave it a
> boost in passing it on. Just a thought.
>
> JP
>
> "Dave Gigantelli" wrote:
>

>>I have an old house that is 3 stories. Lots of plaster,
>>brick walls, etc. Computer is on the 3rd floor with an MN-
>>700 router attached to it. On the first floor we have a
>>sunporch that has a tin roof on top. When I use my laptop
>>(with MN-720 adapter card), signal strength is excellent
>>on 3rd floor and 2nd floor. When I try to use it in the
>>sunporch, I have very weak or no signal, often lose the
>>connection, etc.
>>
>>Question: Is there something, preferably wireless, that I
>>can put on the 2nd floor to "relay" the signal? There
>>must be something that is used when you are too far from
>>the wireless access point.

assistance.

If it's not worth posting you should have done a search on
time.
!