Intel FAB-18 and future liabilities

G

I dare to hope that Tomshardware forum is brave enough to look into the human component of making chips. We should not wait 50 years for disclosures and reparations.

Last year Intel exported products valued at $1.3 billion from a plant in "Kiryat Gat" called FAB-18. Intel's Israeli facilities are slated to manufacture a large portion of Intel's Pentium 4 chips. The plant site is located on land that belongs to the Palestinian village of Iraq Al Manshiya.

Meron Benvensti wrote in his book "Sacred Landscape: The Buried History of the Holy Land Since 1948" (Univ. of Calif. Press, 2000, p. 156): "The signing of the armistice agreement did not put an end to the expulsions [by Israel]. In late February 1949, the remaining inhabitants of the township of Faluja and the village of Iraq al-Manshiyya...were expelled. Approximately 3,000 people were ejected from their communities, despite Israel's having guaranteed that they could remain there with full security to themselves, their homes, and all their property." He also added in page 318: "In Iraq al-Manshiyya...the remnants of the village of 2000 (approximately 300 houses, two mosques, and a school) have been swallowed up by the industrial park of the city of Kiryat Gat. "

According to the Israeli historian Benny Morris, the expulsion was achieved by "intimidation using all means". For more information see: http://www.palestineremembered.com/Gaza/Iraq-al-Manshiyya/

Unless Intel takes appropriate measures to re-locate FAB facilities from questionable lands acquired by force and occupation, I am going AMD 100%.

Dasala, PhD

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
As long as nike uses 5 year olds and pays them 10 cents an hour to make 100 dollar shoes, i'm not jumping on any company that is on lands that were obtained by force. Israel needs to shut up for awhile anyway. If people think the US has problems with religion battles and hatred, take a trip to Israel (with the proper protection, of c -- like a tank and a machine gun). People that see the land as so holy really are hypocrites for killing each other to obtain it. And i'm not saying this for defending Intel. AMD can produce their chips right on the site of the old Solomon temple for all i care. *steps off soap box*.

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

FatBurger

Illustrious
When will people realize that the 10 cents an hour is probably more than their parents make?
How many people here have ever lived in a 3rd world country? I have, and I can't stand it when people want to stop Nike from paying people a great wage (for their country), for an easy job. In most of these countries, only a skilled worker (skilled is a relative term, I know) could make as much money as Nike throws at them all the time.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Oh i know, it's not really that i hate the way they do that. What i hate is the incredible markup. Nike makes products really cheaply and then marks them up so much. And Phil Knight is evil, cuz, well, he is :). *don't flame me for that last remark, i already know it's not smart*. In intel's and AMD's cases, as with most companies, they put labor in other countries not for the cheap labor, but for the area. Why does intel have fabs all over the world? Much easier to ship to Iraq when the factory is in Israel, right? :) And i'm not completely against child labor in other countries. In a lot of cases it beats the alternative (a common practice of some parents in other countries is to beat up their kids so the kids will make more money begging on the street -- if they are crippled, they earn more cash, how sick is that?).

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When will people realize that the 10 cents an hour is probably more than their parents make?
Not really in some cases where more than 40% of that had been taxed and <b>Fees</b> (!!!) by their own goverment.
I have, and I can't stand it when people want to stop Nike from paying people a great wage (for their country)
That's not the main reason! Have you heard the story from Vietnam that Nike contracted to one of Korean contractor and its manager had forced people working overtime (but not paying OT wage), insulting and beating people, ... Only when some Civil Right groups investigated that, NIKE had to cancel that contractor.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Two very good points.
I've said it many times (although not here): Third-world countries are third-world for a reason. Although this may be controversial and/or racist, it's true. In most third-world countries, the average person has, for instance, no business sense.

When I lived in Uganda, it was routine practice to not feed the milk cow. "We care about the milk, not the cow.", then when it dies, they worry because they have no more milk. It's not that hard to feed the cow, yet they don't do it.

I realize that education is a big part of that, which is why there's an international organization to bring technology to third-world countries. People might argue that they need food and money more than computers (and that's true), but very little of international aid gets to the people. It was incredibly frustrating to be in Uganda and see the people living in mud huts with no food and a dead cow, then go to the country's Sheraton and see 80 shiny new Mercedes owned by the government lined up, not even being driven.

Haven't heard much about unfair working conditions, just "unfair" wages. I agree though, the employees should have good rights. Of course, again that is relative to the country's laws. If every worker in that country is treated that way, then it's not a big deal.

Ok, I'll stop my rant.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why don't you go to war and be done with it? throwing rocks aint gonna do it, bro. If you got claim to land, go to W-A-R don't drag it out for 100 yrs.

you should be lucky Intel is over there homey! me, I would never open a business where men: get their hands cut off, drawn and quartered, public executions,beheadings. women: walk in public covered up from head to toe, set on fire daily by husbands, etc. eye for eye right? hehehe.

I don't think Intel's gonna miss you.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Umm....I don't know much about the Middle East, but I think that Israel is nothing like, "where men: get their hands cut off, drawn and quartered, public executions,beheadings. women: walk in public covered up from head to toe, set on fire daily by husbands." That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I think it is the Islamic religion that requires women to not show skin or such, but hands cut off? Drawn and quartered? Public executions? I think not. The most rediculous comment was the one about WOMEN BEING SET ON FIRE BY HUSBANDS?!?! DAILY AT THAT?!? How f**cking insane are you? Now I really know not to trust anything you write on these forums, as it is distorted like everything else you put.

Oh yeah, and "eye for an eye" was Hammurabi's Code for sure. I do not believe that still applies, as this took place close to 3700 years ago. Get your facts straight, damned idiot.

Oh, and also, if you had noticed, the Middle East has had religious tension since before Jesus. You really think war will stop it? I think not. Any anger or hatred that can survive 2000+ years of struggle can survive a war, I think. God, you really are a complete, useless moron.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh i know, it's not really that i hate the way they do that. What i hate is the incredible markup. Nike makes products really cheaply and then marks them up so much.

Hmm, sound like some other company we know?

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I guess you haven't learned to ignore the FAB-3. (well, it's only 2 right now).

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what i find kind of sad is the new footage israel/jerusalem/westbank/gaza strip. the place where hundreds of people die each year, willingly or not, for some of the most barren and rocky land ive ever seen.
and their constant fighting ensures that over time it becomes even more inhospitable.

and another thing... if Intel thought there was even a remote chance that the ladnd their Fab was put on was going back to palistinian control, whould they have built it?

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah...
and it probably has "Big burst archetecture"TM.
(for us normals that means it goes bang)

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've gained some respect for meltdown... not for long though... just nuke the sh!thole you cant farm the land anyway...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Oh percentage wise intel's not even close to Nike. Be reasonable.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Third-world countries are third-world for a reason. Although this may be controversial and/or racist, it's true. In most third-world countries, the average person has, for instance, no business sense.

I don't think it is like that at all. A lot of it is because of the third world debt. Most countries can't even repay the annual interest let alone the actual debt. It is funny that the british government sold indonesia some hawk jet fighters, and when they couldn't pay for the jets, the british gave them a loan.

A lot of the people in the 3rd world countries are proud people that want to work. But the living cost is so high the children have to work as well. For example, in bangladesh (for those not in the know, it is an overpopulated country surrounded by india) the financial situation is pretty bad. The government can't/doesn't do a lot about it. I haven't been there in a long while, but I saw a programme lately when British Labour party MP Oona King went there, she did see a lot of poverty, but a lot of people trying and working hard to make ends meet. There were plenty of people begging, but but plenty of people making opportunities from themselves as well as others.

There was this lady that was helping girls out of prostitution. She had a small textile company with a couple of threading machines and a pool of sewing machines. There was no charity or official support. She started out by just sewing clothes for other companies then she bought her own machine and went freelance. Now she finds and helps the girls by giving them jobs. Its not exactly entrepreneurship but its a start.

There was an incedent involving adidas I think, who employed 6 to 7 year olds, working long hours. 10-12 year olds were handling heavy machinery. The place was closed after an investigation by western and local police. (Don't quote me on this one I just think it was adidas)

Gap have a factory in bangladesh where they had a Childrens initiative. They give opportunities to over 12s. They pay the childrens' school fees (most schools in bangladesh need fees, there are a handful of free/public ones) and the kids work evening shifts, some of whom make almost as much as their parents. Even $10ph works out pretty ok but I think they got more. But I heard some (unconfirmed) rhumors where gap was under investigation as well.

Also, it is quite a fair country. It is a 30 year old country (independant since 1971, you might remember from The "Concert for Bangladesh" by Bob Dylan, Ringo starr, George Harrison etal in madison square garden or "The anti-Bangladesh vinyl" in Apu's house in the simpsons :lol: ) that has already had two women prime-ministers. Although the government has been corrupt most of the way (But corruption is everywhere even in the US the UK, everywhere). But there isn't much sexism there. And I don't think there are any hostilities towards the minorities living there. Although there was some opposition when the some burmese were seeking asylam because of the civil war there.

There can be some aristocracy amongst the wealthy though.

So, I don't think it is right to think of any country as the typical image we get when we hear the phrase "third world country". Because very few will match the image we get and the attached stigmata.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday</i></font color=red>

edit: just changed a "to" to a "two".<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 08/07/01 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Very true. My point is though, that third-world countries aren't poor because of something that isn't their fault. Yes, there are people working to make a difference, but in general the country is poor and backwards because of dishonest/lazy people. Not all of them are, but there are enough to drag the rest of them down.

In Uganda, the military and police all have assault rifles. It's strange to walk the streets with 15 AK-47's in sight. However, all robberies are done by people who, mysteriously have the same weapons. There's no black market for that sort of thing, normal people can't get guns at all.
That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, government screwing their country, and nobody willing/able to make a change.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The thing is, even if the government wants to improve the country and bring it out of poverty, it is very difficult with the current debt and the its interest.

today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First of all, the reason 3rd world countries are third world is becuase their governments don't give two shits about their populations, repaying debts, or much of anything beyond the gold crusting their crowns and the AK-47s slung over their brute squad enforcers' shoulders. If they did, they'd be buying food and agricultural technology instead of jet fighters. And while it is true that petty curruption exists in almost every form of government, it exists on a completely different level in your average 3rd world nation.

The populations aren't completely free of blame, either. I really have a hard time understanding the confused pity the 'rich' western world lays on these impoverished nations. It doesn't take a highschool diploma to figure out that if you can't feed 2 kids, you shouldn't sh*t out 14. If your boy just got shot in the head on his way back from buying bread, maybe you should considering getting the hell out of there. If half your neighborhood is dying of AIDs, maybe you should keep it in your friggen pants. Instead, the western world spends BILLIONs on aid and forgiven debts. We force our medical research companies (who spend millions developing these miracle drugs) to give it away to people that lack even the most basic concept of prevention. We finance a coup, hoping the new gov't will provide a better life for their people, but they just turn around and screw them worse than the last.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to run around shooting everything in site instead of growing tomorrow's lunch, blowing up babies and grandmothers over a patch of dirt, f*cking everything with a pulse and hips, you really shouldn't complain when your town gets firebombed, your family dies of starvation or disease, or you have to send your 6 year old to the shoe factory so you can afford to eat. I don't understand how there can be so much conflict. I've got 10 different nationalities on my block, you don't see me bombing strip malls. People get their land taken away all the time. I don't see anyone clamouring to give Italy or Mongolia any land back. Or Germany or England. So you got your asses kicked. Grow up and deal with it. You wont be the first, and you certainly won't be the last.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
the reason 3rd world countries are third world is becuase their governments don't give two shits about their populations
<b>True for some governments, esp. dictatorships.</b>

repaying debts, or much of anything beyond the gold crusting their crowns
<b>Its true some of the african oil rich countries can afford to pay back all their debts and interest two times over, but the gov't just keeps the money. Recently there was one report where the dictator of an african country had a swiss bank account where all the funds were diverted. But this doesn't hold true to the majority of the countries</b>

the AK-47s slung over their brute squad enforcers' shoulders
<b>Again this is true to dictatorships and even some elected heavy handed gov'ts</b>

If they did, they'd be buying food and agricultural technology instead of jet fighters.
<b>Indonesia had special ties with the western world, esp. during the east timor wars, when the Australian gov't wrote a letter to UK and US gov'ts not to asking them not to get involved. I have no idea what was going on there!</b>

average 3rd world nation
<b>I don't believe there is such a thingas an average 3rd world country, but only a western world stereotype of what a 3rd world country is.</b>

It doesn't take a highschool diploma to figure out that if you can't feed 2 kids, you shouldn't sh*t out 14
<b>I'm not sure about other countries, but bangladesh had family planning initiatives since the late eighties. They have incentives for families with one or two children</b>

your boy just got shot in the head on his way back from buying bread, maybe you should considering getting the hell out of there.
<b>Not everyone has the opportunities or even the means to relocate just like that</b>

If half your neighborhood is dying of AIDs, maybe you should keep it in your friggen pants. Instead, the western world spends BILLIONs on aid and forgiven debts. We force our medical research companies (who spend millions developing these miracle drugs) to give it away to people that lack even the most basic concept of prevention.
<b>forgiven debts? No when the hell did that happen?

Actually it is in africa that aids vaccines are being researched. Though it is by a western company. The found these prostitutes that are immune. but the thing is, when the cure is found it will be sold at high prices, and it is the africans and the rest of the third world countries that will not benifit.</b>

We finance a coup, hoping the new gov't will provide a better life for their people, but they just turn around and screw them worse than the last.
<b>Just what the hell are you talking about here?</b>

People get their land taken away all the time. I don't see anyone clamouring to give Italy or Mongolia any land back. Or Germany or England. So you got your asses kicked. Grow up and deal with it. You wont be the first, and you certainly won't be the last.
<b>I assume you're referring to the south african situation. but how many countries do you know that the locals were pushed aside, putting about 85% of the people into 25% of the land or something like that.</b>

Your post just makes you sound uninformed and misinformed yet still opinionated. I suppose that would be an average american then.

today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Pfft. I do not recognize any country named Palestine. That is Israel's land and they can place any buildings anywhere they like in their country.

On a secondary note, this isn't the place for political propaganda. We have enough religious style debates in here without actually bringing politics and religion into the discussions. I am not going to comment further on this or give further responses, as this thread is destined to become a war.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Thanks for your voice of reason Ray! It's nice to see some sense here.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

TRENDING THREADS