Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Two anecdotes, both true and both from the last few days.

We were driving towards a crow - big ah heck, too - who simply wasn't going
to get out of the way of the car, so I ran over it. Something under the car
must've struck the crows head, 'cause there was a loud clunk, and when we
had passed over, there was this crow strutting towards the verge with a few
ruffled feather on top!

Shooting crows in the garden this morning - with my nice 'Gamo Hunter 440'
air rifle with its newly zeroed sights - and there was one about 25-30 yards
ahead. It hadn't seen me load and aim and I wasn't surprised to hit the
monster. Knocked it clean off its feet where it lay squawking until I
approached to finish it off. It saw me ambling towards it, struggled to its
feet and took off (with a sort of limping flight) until it was at a safer
distance before setting down again for some more squawking. I chased it
around for about twenty minutes before the thing retreated into the woods at
the bottom of the back garden.

Right - this calls for sterner stuff. I'll try the .410 before I get out
the 12 bore though.

That'll teach 'em!

StJohn

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"StJohn" <stjohn@needtoknowbasisonly.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in

> Two anecdotes, both true and both from the last few days.
>
> We were driving towards a crow - big ah heck, too - who simply wasn't
> going to get out of the way of the car, so I ran over it. Something
> under the car must've struck the crows head, 'cause there was a loud
> clunk, and when we had passed over, there was this crow strutting
> towards the verge with a few ruffled feather on top!
>
> Shooting crows in the garden this morning - with my nice 'Gamo Hunter
> 440' air rifle with its newly zeroed sights - and there was one about
> 25-30 yards ahead. It hadn't seen me load and aim and I wasn't
> surprised to hit the monster. Knocked it clean off its feet where it
> lay squawking until I approached to finish it off. It saw me ambling
> towards it, struggled to its feet and took off (with a sort of
> limping flight) until it was at a safer distance before setting down
> again for some more squawking. I chased it around for about twenty
> minutes before the thing retreated into the woods at the bottom of
> the back garden.
>
> Right - this calls for sterner stuff. I'll try the .410 before I get
> out the 12 bore though.

Before you try “sterner stuff”, try reading the laws pertaining to the
deliberate act of running animals over on a public highway and then if
you can grasp it, try understanding that more power doesn’t make a bad
shot any better.
Stick with your air rifle and stick to paper.

John

"John" <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net> wrote in message
> "StJohn" <stjohn@needtoknowbasisonly.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in
>

> > Two anecdotes, both true and both from the last few days.
> >
> > We were driving towards a crow - big ah heck, too - who simply wasn't
> > going to get out of the way of the car, so I ran over it. Something
> > under the car must've struck the crows head, 'cause there was a loud
> > clunk, and when we had passed over, there was this crow strutting
> > towards the verge with a few ruffled feather on top!
> >
> > Shooting crows in the garden this morning - with my nice 'Gamo Hunter
> > 440' air rifle with its newly zeroed sights - and there was one about
> > 25-30 yards ahead. It hadn't seen me load and aim and I wasn't
> > surprised to hit the monster. Knocked it clean off its feet where it
> > lay squawking until I approached to finish it off. It saw me ambling
> > towards it, struggled to its feet and took off (with a sort of
> > limping flight) until it was at a safer distance before setting down
> > again for some more squawking. I chased it around for about twenty
> > minutes before the thing retreated into the woods at the bottom of
> > the back garden.
> >
> > Right - this calls for sterner stuff. I'll try the .410 before I get
> > out the 12 bore though.
>
> Before you try "sterner stuff", try reading the laws pertaining to the
> deliberate act of running animals over on a public highway and then if
> you can grasp it, try understanding that more power doesn't make a bad
> shot any better.
> Stick with your air rifle and stick to paper.

Please be so kind as to direct me to the website which details the laws of
which you write, especially that pertaining to crows.

For what it's worth, when you live on a very large estate which is plagued
by crows - which, incidentally, cause an enormous amount of damage - you
would probably prefer to refer to them as vermin. And were it not for my
daughter and wife still asleep in bed, I /would/ have had the shotgun out.

I would have thought that a direct hit at just under thirty yards doesn't
warrant the sobriquet "bad shot", however with such accuracy, more power
would certainly have despatched the bird in one go.

StJohn

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

>> Before you try "sterner stuff", try reading the laws pertaining to
>> the deliberate act of running animals over on a public highway and
>> then if you can grasp it, try understanding that more power doesn't
>> make a bad shot any better.
>> Stick with your air rifle and stick to paper.
>
> Please be so kind as to direct me to the website which details the
> laws of which you write, especially that pertaining to crows.

Such an educated man as you *must* be familiar with the general licence?
At which point on your car journey did you become an authorised person?
You didn’t, did you?

> For what it's worth, when you live on a very large estate which is
> plagued by crows - which, incidentally, cause an enormous amount of
> damage - you would probably prefer to refer to them as vermin.

I’m sure you would.

> And
> were it not for my daughter and wife still asleep in bed, I /would/
> have had the shotgun out.

It doesn’t surprise me.

> I would have thought that a direct hit at just under thirty yards
> doesn't warrant the sobriquet "bad shot",

It obviously, even to the most moronic of persons was a bad shot.

> however with such accuracy,

Such accuracy, you must be making a big joke! Frankly if you couldn’t
take a head shot at thirty yards, I suggest you go back to paper
targets.

> more power would certainly have despatched the bird in one go.

And the bigger car you own, the bigger dick you own and boy you’re a big
dick!

John

> Such an educated man as you *must* be familiar with the general licence?

Which 'general licence'?

> At which point on your car journey did you become an authorised person?
> You didn't, did you?

Eh! WTF is all that about? Authorised to do /what/? It's a private drive
of just under a mile long.

> And the bigger car you own, the bigger dick you own and boy you're a big
> dick!

You want to watch your spelling, old boy. You've. YOU'VE.

See You Next Tuesday

StJohn

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> Eh! WTF is all that about? Authorised to do /what/? It's a private
> drive of just under a mile long.

Which estate are you resident on and what is your SGC number?

John

> "StJohn" <stjohn@needtoknowbasisonly.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > Eh! WTF is all that about? Authorised to do /what/? It's a private
> > drive of just under a mile long.
>
> Which estate are you resident on and what is your SGC number?
>
> John

C'mon John,
He's not the common sense he was born with, how do you expect him to know
his address?

--
Andy (UK_Rabbiter)
Creator, Manager & Moderator of Rabbit Hunters

lurch

On 3 Jun 2004 22:23:37 GMT, John <Stalking*@britishlibrary.net> wrote:

>"StJohn" <stjohn@needtoknowbasisonly.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Eh! WTF is all that about? Authorised to do /what/? It's a private
>> drive of just under a mile long.
>
>Which estate are you resident on and what is your SGC number?
>
>John

Hey up!
John's got a live one.
Fight, fight, fight etc

What John is saying my old chap, is that you attempted to kill a crow
with a poorly placed shot given the range, tool and target. At that
range with an airgun only a head shot would do, myself I wouldn't have
attempted that either (but that's because I like my rimfire!).

Private drive or no, you are still subject to the laws regarding
protection of wild animals. Crows are subject to general licence, but
that doesn't equal "open season" with any means available.

--
Mark

http://www.gunculture.net

"the subjects... may have arms for their defence"
English Bill of Rights

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

> Crows are subject to general licence, but
>that doesn't equal "open season" with any means available.

I don't think that running over a crow that refuses to get out of the way is
"using a moter to kill it", if it does then I must be "guilty" of many "crimes"
because I wouldn't swerve and risk an accident to avoid vermin,unless it was a
deer or badger, although I did brake to avoid a cat once and it repaid me by
killing my daughter's pet rabbit. Cheers, Norman.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

seaangling@aol.com (SEAANGLING) wrote in

>> Crows are subject to general licence, but
>>that doesn't equal "open season" with any means available.
>>

> I don't think that running over a crow that refuses to get out of the
> way is "using a moter to kill it", if it does then I must be "guilty"
> of many "crimes"

The important thing here is motive.
It is hard to prove that a motorist has deliberately tried to run an
animal over. On the public highway, a person who uses an automobile to
kill or injure animals *is* breaking the law if it can be proven he
carried out such an act deliberately. The law is somewhat different in
Scotland, where a person could kill an injured deer with a motor
vehicle.
The general licence and the W&C act will cover most offences of the
above.
In truth the original poster is either a kid or a troll.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Get a life you lot!!

Normally not a squabbling newsgroup that I enjoy reading, give up the
c**p please before it gets out of hand.

> hungryrob <hungryrob@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Get a life you lot!!
> >
> > Normally not a squabbling newsgroup that I enjoy reading, give up the
> > c**p please before it gets out of hand.
>

> The use of a car to kill crows on private land is not illegal;

> Re-read the original post,

Yes. Re-read the original post. The crow got up and walked away
unscathed. I had not aimed my tyres at it but had simply driven over the
top of it. What would you have me do - shoo it out of the way first ?

It was an anecdotal story in the spirit (I thought) of this otherwise
friendly newsgroup.

It was not intended to offend or to invite criticism, and the fact that I
may or may not be a school teacher is neither here nor there in this
particular matter.

I might suggest that the image you display with regard our sport is far more
likely to do it harm in the long run. I don't know how long you've held
your various licences (or if, indeed, you do), but in over thirty years as
an active shot I have never heard anyone but the Animal Activists stick up
for the sanctity of the life of a crow !

Incidentally, before you criticise the second story - it was a 'head shot'
that hadn't penetrated - so much for my full power air-rifle !

FFS John - they were a couple of stories that I thought the group might be
interested in. Lighten up.

StJohn

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> Yes. Re-read the original post. The crow got up and walked away
> unscathed. I had not aimed my tyres at it but had simply driven over
> the top of it. What would you have me do - shoo it out of the way
> first ?

I often stop and “shoo” animals out of my path. It’s a daily occurrence
for me to give way to squirrels and sparrows.
My personal belief is that one should reconsider their motives when life
becomes so cheap as to run over a bird because it’s in your way.
I simply can not endorse wanton killing in any guise, it’s loutish
behaviour and nothing more than vandalism.

> It was an anecdotal story in the spirit (I thought) of this otherwise
> friendly newsgroup.

Are you suggesting that this group endorses behaviour such as yours?
Frankly I take it as an insult that you even presumed you would find a
friendly response to such behaviour.

> It was not intended to offend or to invite criticism, and the fact
> that I may or may not be a school teacher is neither here nor there
> in this particular matter.

This particular matter is one of great repulse and the fact that you are
a guardian of children matters most.

> I might suggest that the image you display with regard our sport is
> far more likely to do it harm in the long run. I don't know how
> long you've held your various licences (or if, indeed, you do), but
> in over thirty years as an active shot I have never heard anyone but
> the Animal Activists stick up for the sanctity of the life of a crow

SIR! The sanctity of my quarry is up most in my thoughts; with out it I
would be nothing more than a stomach churning killer. Every animal I
hunt is given equal respect be that crows, rats, rabbits, deer or foxes.
I call it the ‘hunters paradox’. You may indeed view my opinions akin to
that of an Animal Activists but I view your opinions and action much
lower. There are rules of conduct to follow and you have displayed none.

> !
>
> Incidentally, before you criticise the second story - it was a 'head
> shot' that hadn't penetrated - so much for my full power air-rifle !

Then I would suggest you have your rifle serviced before you go an cause
anymore suffering.

> FFS John - they were a couple of stories that I thought the group
> might be interested in. Lighten up.

Lighten up! When you pick-up a gun, you represent me, your actions
reflect upon me and every other shooter in Britain. I suggest your 30
odd years as an active shooter have been well and truly wasted.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)