Sign in with
Your question

My Laptop was dropped while in hibernation and now it won't come out o

Last response: in Windows 7
January 28, 2013 3:37:45 AM

I have a Samsung Laptop and it was in hibernation mode when it was knocked off of an ottoman and fell about a foot and landed right side up on the floor. When I opened it there was nothing but a black screen with a cursor on it. So I turned it off by holding down the power button and then turned it back on the sumsung start up screen came on and then the screen was black except for a Little flashing white bar on the upper left hand side and then it just stays that way, I have also tried taking out the battery but it did not work. One time it came up with an error saying your computer can't come out of hibernation anything not saved previously will be lost and at the bottom it says enter=continue but when I hit enter nothing happens. Is there a way to fix this?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 4:37:12 AM

You need to disable the Hibernation... see if it logs in in Safe Mode. Press F8 right after the BIOS posts.. press and hold the F8 key or tap it once a second till the Safe Mode options list comes on the screen, select the Safe Mode line and press Enter.

After you've logged on, go to Control Panel, Power Options, and disable Hibernation. Another way it can be disable is deleting the C:\Hiberfil file. The file is a hidden system file so you have to unhide it in Explorer \ Tools menu \ Folder Options \ View tab \ Show hidden files and folders \ Hide protected operating system files (recommended).

If it's not possible to logon in Sae Mode, the only solution is to remove the Hard Drive from the laptop, put it in a USB enclosure (10 to $20 dollars) and connect the enclosure to any available computer and from that computer browse to the USB external hard drive and delete the Hiberfil file according to the above instructions. It's possible you won't have access to delete the Hiberfil file, so you may have to take ownership from the host computer, according to the instructions

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Read How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows 7 OR Or Watch instructions on Video
m
l
January 28, 2013 4:52:45 AM

Since is was in sleep mode the read/write may not have been parked and maybe damage.
m
l
Related resources
!