CPU overheating......how?

G

OK, I am having big problems here and I would love it if somebody could help me out.

I recenetly purchased an Asus A7A266 board with a 1.4 GHz Thunderbird processor.

I installed both with a thermal pad in between first and an orb as my hsf. Within minutes of startup the computer started emitting high pitch beeps. "Weird", I thought. So I tried reversing the fan and still the same outcome. "P.o.s. hsf," I know thought.

So I bought a Thermaltake SK-6 with a Delta fan (the one that supposedly has 6800 RPM). "Problem solved," I thought. Well, I got this today installed it into my motherboard this time with Artic Silver II and got the same darn results. I went into the BIOS and watched as my CPUs temperature climbed and climbed from 40 up, until the high pitch beeps started and then I just shut it off.

"Need to find help," I thought.

So, can anybody please help me with this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LMAO, this is so typical.

Is this not why you purchased AMD?

Did you not read all my warnings?

How long have you had it in this condition?

How much did you save?

Are you having fun yet with your AMD?

Feel the power!

Enjoy!

My guess would be that your HSF is not touching the core on all accounts. Might want to consult a AMD guru like Grizely1 on how to install a HSF.

DOH!! I forgot he burnt 2 processors himself, so I guess he wouldnt be such a good reference.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
FUGGER, this problem IS NOT typical AT ALL, and is in no way characteristic of AMD based systems. This seems to be almost identical to that of an overclocked processor with underpowered cooling. What are your voltage settings at? Also, do check to make sure the HSF is completely seated on the core. Sometimes an off balance or slightly tilted HSF will make some contact to stop it from burning out instantly, but not enough that temperatures will stop rising. Again, make sure your voltage is not jacked up by any means, and that your HSF is completely seated.

G

Fugger, I got to admit, you are funny.

I hope this isn't typical of AMD systems, about to purchase a 1.0Ghz myself this week or the next. Don't worry Fugger, I am still an Intel fan, but I am selling my PIII 1Ghz. I was going to purchase a PIII Tualatin, but with Intel cutting prices I can probably get a 1.8 or even a 1.9 P4 in about a month for the same price as a Tualatin. Just gotta wait for VIA P4 DDR solution as there is no way I am using SDRAM a la i845.

So, is this heat thing typical?

deez

G

The volts are set to 1.75 and the computer begins to beep when the processor reaches about 70c (according to mobo sensors).

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm... oddities... i think making sure the temperature threshhold is high enough and that the heatsink is properly attached is what should be done... if those are not the problem... well get a replacement motherboard...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

FatBurger

Illustrious
So, is this heat thing typical?
Not in the least. No, no, no, no, no, no.

Anyhow, sounds like a dumb question, but the fan is plugged in, right?
You said the Delta is "Supposed to be 6800RPM" is it not running at 6800 (or around there)?

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, when 4 people post per day, it sure seems typical!

70c+ like OMG!

Are you using a shim?

Your processor may have already suffered damage since it has exceeded 70c. Anomolies await you.

Another way to stop the beeping is to set the threshold much higher.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
As much as FUGGER annoys everyone, he brings up an important point. Are you using a shim? Shims tend to screw you over. They'll usually save you from crushing the core, but your HSF-to-core contact will not be quite as good and may be much worse than not having a shim.

Plus, how fast does your CPU temp climb? Experience of one of our locals is that the temp of a Duron 700@933 tends to climb at a rate of ~1 degree per minute if the HSF is on with no fan. I'd estimate that a 1.4 would overheat about twice as fast.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

According to hardware monitor it is only running at 2600 RPM but that happened for both HSFs I tried it with.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Odd...mine hangs around 4000RPM, and it's a cheap-ass GlobalWin FOP32 HSF.

I'm actually rather surprised it reaches 70 C without locking up...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
in that cse I think you have your fan plugged into a motherboard connector which is not recommended for Delta fans as they draw too much current. You mobo may not supply enought current and the fan is running slow!!!!

Get a 3-4 pin connector and plug it direct into the power supply.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
If I understand you right the temp rises very fast(in a minute or so).Then there is a thermal gap between cpu and hsf.
You mentioned about a thermal pad,that gould be the problem.

Disastorpasztor

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
there are more AMD problems since more people try to experiment with them. you don't hear much about people going out and building a pentium4 system. of all the people that buy AMD, some will end up having problems, either through user error or faulty equipment. so whatever, he either didn't put the hsf on correctly or has a faulty motherboard.