Compatibility Problem!?!

PredGR

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
A few weeks ago i bought my new system. 1.333T-BIRD (not overclocked),ASUS A7M266, 2x128 DDR CHIPS. I already had a GeForce 2 GTS etc etc... The problem is when i try to play games. after a while (may be 2minutes to 2hours) the game closes and i get back to windows or even worse, the entire computer freezes. I searched this a lot, it's not a software, overheating or a video card problem. 2 days ago i lowered the FSB from 133 to 130 and it hasn't crash until now. the cpu now runs at 1299mhz. What do you think it is and how do i fix the problem? plz help.

PredGR

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
yeap! It crashes with every game. and i'm sure it's not windows problem or software generally.... i tried everything about software.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It's your ram, make sure they are not set to cl2(most ddr is cl2.5) also, try the games with one than the other ramstick seperatly, at 133/266, see if one of them is just bad.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
In the motherboards bios, there should be a section called dram timing, it should say 2.5, or set dram by spd. The mobo manual will let you know where. Also do a search on the net for a bios tuning guide for your motherboar, and it will give you options, personally I would try one or the other stick first, and just see, but keep the bus at 133/266, you paid for it and by god you deserve it lol.
Also try switching the posistions of them ram. It could help(timing may be off).

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ROFL!!! Another posterchild for "BUY AMD" campaign.

New HSF, $40
New PSU, $75
Laughing at you cause your AMD sucks, Priceless!

I hope you saved allot of money cause its time to spend some to figure out wtf is wrong with your POS computer.

Swap parts till problem goes away, if it goes away =)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Fugger you cockless tard, he has a ram issue, pentiums arent immune from them either.
oh, and even if you bought 10 heatsinks at 40 bucks each a 1.4ghz tbird will cost less than a 1.8 p4 AND PERFORM BETTER. troll.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

PredGR

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
i checked the dram timing, it's set to 2.5T. I haven't checked the ram sticks to see if one of them is bad yet... but what if both of them are bad? how will i know?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just keep replacing parts! HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

I love posts like this one =)

After many hours of fustration you might get lucky and find the "bad part".

Time is money, how much time have you wasted so far? huge savings on that AMD system huh?

You get what you pay for.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Um, im not the one withthe problem. (no pun intended)

I warm people about buying AMD, and all the AMD lemmings claim there are no problems. well the your fool who gets to be this weeks posterchild for "BUY AMD"

GL, your gonna need it.

PS: Sorry if my pointy stick poking you hurts, I love you poke sticks at lemmings in times of need.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Try one, then the other, the odds both are bad are very slim.

PS: fugger, is your ass compatable with the northwood's new socket?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Thought the ass was generally down south!

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
"PS: fugger, is your ass compatable with the northwood's new socket?"

ROFLMAO

And FUGGER, these is no problem with AMD. Only reason you hear about more problems is because MORE PEOPLE HAVE THEM. I don't think that will make sense to you, so let me lay it out.

Assuming 50% failure rate. (Absurd but for ease of calculation)
20 People buy AMD, while 10 buy Intel.
You 10 people complain about AMD, while 5 about Intel. Does that mean AMD is bad? No. Same proportion, just greater numbers. I don't expect you to understand this, so at any rate, just go f*ck yourself.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Like you have never had a problem with an Intel chipset and processor...if you have never had a problem with one you don't build many machines.

I have had more problems with Inhell parts than any other MFG!

AMD doesn't suck...FUGGER sucks!

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

G

That is what you get for buying a cheap piece of crap AMD processor. When you want your computer to work buy Intel. When you want your computer to crash and lockup use AMD. I hope all of you learn a very important lesson, AMD SUCKS!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
When you want your computer to crash and lockup use AMD.
<sarcasm>
Someone finally understands why I bought an Athlon! I <i>want</i> my computer to crash...

...but it won't! I mean, what am I supposed to do? I buy a cheap-ass HSF hoping it will overheat, I use an unapproved power supply, I push it hard day and night, I shove a multifunction I2O device or two in there, I even run a power-hungry GeForce on beta drivers. It just won't crash! <i>What do I have to do, stick the HSF on upside down?</i>

*sniff* Can't I even get a corrupt JPEG or a chipped core? Dammit, I want what I paid for!

I know what, I'm calling AMD tech support right now to find out why my system doesn't crash. If they can't suggest something to make it crash, I'm going to <i><b>demand</b></i> to be charged more!

It's time to make a stand! Never again will free men be charged so little for such kickass, stable CPUs!
</sarcasm>

I'll forgive your ignorance, since you've probably never gotten up the courage to try a T-bird CPU. Anyways...back to helping whoever started this thread...

What chipset drivers are you running exactly? The manufacturer might have somehow missed applying them, or they might be an old version (VIA drivers especially). The fact that it crashes mostly in games suggests that your AGP miniport drivers aren't up to snuff (or possibly your nVidia drivers).

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Have you tried tweaking your dram voltage? It’s a jumper right by your IDE ports named “VIO1”. I’d move it from the pin 1-2 position 2.7v to the 3-4 position 2.8v. Then try the 2-3 position at 2.9v. It could only get better or worse or might not change at all.

Schmide

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
You are supposed to remove that jumper completely, as leaving it on overclocks your RAM. Go to www.lostcircuits.com and look for the Asus A7M266 review and you will see what I mean. Normal DDR voltage is 2.5v, leaving the jumper sets it to 2.8v. Take it off completely and less problems should arise.