Samsung PX2370

chrand90

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hello

I've just bought a Samsung PX2370 monitor, which i hooked up to my hp envy 14 by HDMI. Only problem is the picture looks blurry/washed out. I tried adjusting the monitors settings, but it still looks blurry. My laptop also has a mini display port, so im wondering if the quality would improve by using dvi from the minidisplay port?

I mean its a 300 $ monitor. Shouldn't the picture be crystal clear?

Thank you for helping

a few things to note:

the native resolution on that monitor is 1920x1080. if you try to display at any other resolution there might be quality issues.

are you "forwarding" your desktop to that monitor or are you making it a secondary monitor (and keeping the laptop as monitor one)? check the output resolution under display properties.

a washed out image usually means either your contrast settings are too low or your brightness is too high. try straight median values to start with.

hdmi out should give you a crystal clear picture. that video card should be fine for displaying a desktop on an external monitor. as a test you could plug the monitor into a different device and test the picture clarity (to verify it isnt a monitor problem)

chrand90

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Im running the screen in the native 1920x1080 60 hz according to both windows 7 screen manager and the osd information.

I've noticed that the picture looks significantly better when im running in duplicate mode instead af extended or monitor only, eventhough it scales down to 1440x900.

I guess it has something to do with ATI Cataclyst controls of the specific screen.

I've noticed the monitor has a pc/av option, when I choose pc option I adjust the screens settings. Should I then choose pc mode and configure through ATI cataclyst or make a combo between osd settings and ATI?

Can you recomend any good way of calibrating the screen? Maybe some tools?

i don't have much advice on specifics since i abhor catalyst (i use nvidia) however from what you say it very well could be a simple settings tweak.

graphic cards or monitors usually have a bundled screen test software included. if not, do a google search for lcd screen calibration and you should find many free sources.

what i would do first is set the mode on your monitor to the propper one (i'm guessing pc?) and adjust the settings on the monitor to default (or push a default button if available) this should bring all the color settings, contrast, etc to the median range (check this to be sure). next change the monitor to a mode where it will display at its native resolution (monitor only maybe?). now change the catalyst settings to be median values. does the picture still look washed out?

chrand90

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Thank you so much for all your replies! Its been very helpful. So far i've manage to calibrate the screen so the colors look great!

I have the black borders around the entire screen. Ive tried setting overscan to 0%, this makes the picture much better, only problem is that picture is now zoomed so I cant see the edges of the screen. Any suggestions?

I appreciate your help!

chrand90

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Ive just found that when i select pc mode instead of av mode the pixelmapping is great! Furthermore if I'm in AV mode and select "screen fit" instead of 16:9 mode the pixelmapping is perfect too.

Out of pure curiosity im wondering why the change from AV to PC makes this perfect, when i couldn't achieve this by adjusting overscan, and why screen fit instead of 16:9 also does this, cause isnt 1920*1080 16:9 ratio?

Is there any difference between running in AV with screen fit or in PC mode?

Anyway thanks for your help