Sign in with
Your question

Mobile 512k Tualitins available on Pricewatch!

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2001 8:09:48 AM

Mobile Tualatins are showing up on Pricewatch. These are 512k like the server version but low voltage. Being low voltage should allow them to produce less heat in stock trim, meaning that an overclocked processor will usually also require less voltage increase, and less cooling. Anyone who's tried one contact me, I'm thinking about it!

Video killed my Radio Card!
August 9, 2001 8:24:14 AM

Carshman - I couldn't find any mobiles but I did see dual mobo/tualatin server chip combos retailing for ~ $600 - $900 single cpu, $1000+ for dual cpus...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
August 9, 2001 5:33:29 PM

thats why I posted about the PIII-M and whether it is pin compatible with the Coppermine micro PGA processors.
I've seen an 866 PIII-M, 512K.
I think there was also a 1.13, but I'm not sure...
the cool part, it appears I'll be able to plug a Tulatin in my laptop.
700Mhz to 1400Mhz in one chip swap.
btw, during my absence from the board, I've managed to overclock my laptop.
700Mhz, up to 770Mhz w/110FSB, or speedstep of 550 @ 660Mhz w/120FSB.
I get BSOD's at 840, but my temperature controlled fan doesn't come on.
Rock stable at 770 and 660(w/1.35v no less)so I'm pretty sure its my processor hitting a brick wall.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2001 6:08:46 PM

The m-PGA form factor is different, hoping someone makes a converter. YOu probably need more voltage for overclocking, you'll have to examine the m-PGA documentation to find the voltage detection scheme. The Mobile Tualatin will only work if your chipset supports 133FSB.

August 9, 2001 8:11:40 PM

you lost me dude. converter?
I have a mPGA PIII 700, do you know if the PIII-M is pin compatible?
I know they are both mPGA 495pins, but are there any different pins as they have with the desktop?
my motherboard is suppose to support 133mhz, it will definately go to 120, I've had it there.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2001 8:37:58 PM

Best documentation I can find only gives one spec for mPGA. But I would like to find a mPGA to FC-PGA converter to use it on my desktop! I'd like to see how many GHz I can get out of a mobile Tualatin at, say, 1.7v!
Although the Mobile processors have lower voltage requirements, they are built on the same size process as desktop chips, and should therefor tolerate just as much current (current increasing with voltage). And I believe the desktop Tualatins are 1.5v? So they should tolerate 1.7v? So a mobile Tualatin with the same sized transistors should tolerate 1.7v also!

August 9, 2001 10:25:06 PM

mind posting a url if you have one handy?
I'm trying to find out as much as I can...
gracias.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2001 10:38:24 PM

For the specification? You can search Intel as easy as I can. I looked it up last night, took me all of 5 minutes.

August 9, 2001 10:52:56 PM

I found one, just wondering if you have something better.
what signal names are for voltage and bus speed?

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
August 10, 2001 12:12:08 AM

ok, I've found both bsel pins, question.
does a value of 0 mean open circut or closed?

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2001 1:35:19 AM

0 means Closed! I had a hard time believing Intel would lable them that way, but they did! Even though it is backward from bianary code and backwards from power switches, 0 means closed and 1 means open. At least that's the way they did it on the FC-PGA chart. I can't see them changing it for the mPGA chart.

August 10, 2001 1:46:01 AM

hehe
my CPU is stable at 770 w/1.6 v, stable at 660 w/1.35, I'm going to see if I can use my speedstep multiplier of 5.5 with a FSB of 133...
00 is 66, 01 is 100, 11 is 133...
but on another section is says 10 is 100...
on the same Intel paper...
either way, I can probably make both circuts open, rather than closed, that's what I'm going to try...

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2001 2:38:35 AM

11 is also 133 on the FC-PGA and means open/open.

!