The 2GHZ Overclock

G

I am building a new system and I am going to go with the Intel 1.8ghz one they drop prices and since AMD can't get the Palomino out in time for the Fall semester :) ...

The questions I have are these:
1)What is the best mainboard for the p4 and OC'ing
2)What is the most common used stable multiplier & FSB?
3)Will the 1.8 to 2ghz OC have potential damage or increase wear-and-tear on my system? (I assume a good HSF and my 4-case fans in the antec case will be used)

Please let me know your opinions. I don't wanna fork out the extra cash for the 2ghz when it is released and I figured this would work just fine if there are no potential problems. Thanks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
1) I don't have much experience with P4s, but I'd recommend either the Abit TH7 or the Asus P4T. Great companies.

2) This is a tricky question. Since 100x18 is the default and you can't change the multiplier on a Pentium, you'll have to overclock the FSB. The higher the better, but good luck, you'll need it :)

3) Yes and no. Yes, it'll shorten the life span, but the life span will still be longer than you plan to keep it, guaranteed. Unless you run it at 70 degrees 24/7, of course. But with a good HSF and case fans, you'll be fine.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
From what I have read, the best way to get overclocking milage from your P4 system is to drop the muliplier from the RIMMS to x3 and crank up the FSB. A PC 800 RIMM has a x4 multiplier and transfers on rising and falling edge of clock. Assume tolerance to be not all that high. So if you drop the mulitlier to x3, you can increase FSB to c. 133 MHz, giving you a 2394 MHz chip

Must go faster, must go faster,
Heck, processors fried...

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's a heck of an overclock. I doubt the P4 would last that overclock, even with water/peltier cooling. I could be wrong, though.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

TRENDING THREADS