DB

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Okay I have been given the opportunity to provide some pest control over a
peice of land nearby. However I have found out the 'owners' are actually
renting from the National Trust. So would I really need permision from the
NT as well?

I did ask if shooting was mentioned in the lease but they don't think it is.
They are checking the paperwork.

If I do need the NT permission does anyone have any experiance with them as
an organisation.

Regards
dB

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"dB" <debollox@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Okay I have been given the opportunity to provide some pest control
> over a peice of land nearby. However I have found out the 'owners'
> are actually renting from the National Trust. So would I really need
> permision from the NT as well?
>
> I did ask if shooting was mentioned in the lease but they don't think
> it is. They are checking the paperwork.

They may have husbandry rights over the land.

> If I do need the NT permission does anyone have any experiance with
> them as an organisation.

Yep and no chance.

John

"John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > If I do need the NT permission does anyone have any experiance with
> > them as an organisation.
>
> Yep and no chance.

I thought as much.

Oh well I'll see if the terms of the lease give me any hope.

Regards
dB

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"dB" <debollox@hotmail.com> wrote in news:cdh78k$og0$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

> "John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > If I do need the NT permission does anyone have any experiance with
>> > them as an organisation.
>>
>> Yep and no chance.
>>
> I thought as much.
>
> Oh well I'll see if the terms of the lease give me any hope.

Don’t give up hope (but I fear that’s all you’ll have).
My advice would be to check the lease and see if you can control vermin
under husbandry rights. It might be worth the tenant phoning NT and
explaining that they have a problem with ******** and that they are
losing money by the day because of the ********. NT have a legal
obligation to control the vermin, indeed the tenant also has a legal
obligation to control pest species.
NT will know this and if the tenant said that they will hold NT
responsible for *all* damages NT will become worried. The tenant could
ask NT if he/she may control the vermin OR if they could get someone in
to do the job (at the tenants expense). The chances are the NT will
grant permission for the tenant to “get someone in” (you) rather than be
found liable for *all* damages suffered by their tenant + legal costs.
It really all depends upon if your mate will do the phoning and if NT
doesn’t want the hassle of vermin control.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/cons_man/vertpest/pa11.pdf
explains about controlling rabbits and a landowner's/tenants legal
obligation to do so

I have ferreting permission on some NT leased-out land.
Because it is public right to roam land, I don't shoot on the land so as not
to cause nuisance/disturbance to the public.

Hope this helps

--
Andy (UK_Rabbiter)
Creator, Manager & Moderator of Rabbit Hunters

"Andy (UK_Rabbiter)" <andy@ukrabbiter.co.uk> wrote in message
> http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/cons_man/vertpest/pa11.pdf
> explains about controlling rabbits and a landowner's/tenants legal
> obligation to do so

Thanks Andy,

All the extra ammo (pun intended) helps with these things.

Has anyone come a cropper on shooting at night where they are not the owner
occupier? I typically go out with a mate - one points one shoots arrangement
so would that be a technical infringement of the rules of night shooting? As
niether of us are the owner or occupier but I have the written permission.
Or does common sense prevail - hang on did I just attribute the legal system
with common sense? Silly me.

Regards
dB

lurch

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:24:17 +0000 (UTC), "dB" <debollox@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Okay I have been given the opportunity to provide some pest control over a
>peice of land nearby. However I have found out the 'owners' are actually
>renting from the National Trust. So would I really need permision from the
>NT as well?
>
>I did ask if shooting was mentioned in the lease but they don't think it is.
>They are checking the paperwork.
>
>If I do need the NT permission does anyone have any experiance with them as
>an organisation.
>
>Regards
>dB

In fact most leases will include a clause _requiring_ the leaseholder
to control pests on the land.
In this case you are acting as the tenants agent.

BTW Thanks to Andy for posting the link to the Pest Act, I've been
meaning to look for that!

--
Mark

http://www.gunculture.net

"the subjects... may have arms for their defence"
English Bill of Rights

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

I have hunting permission on a local farm, but most of the rabbits that are
causing problems for his plant nursery are just over the boundary, and the
lady next-door asks that no rabbits are killed that are from her land. :-(
I have spoken to the landowner that gave me permission, about the matter,
and I have now printed a couple of copies off so he can present one to her
:)
Then he's going to put my name forward for me :)

A bit under-handed I know, but here's hoping!
Another section of his land, he lets another neighbour use, RENT FREE, and
has told me I can still hunt that section aswell.
What are the legalities on this section, as the owner still has the rights
to control the rabbits & corvids?

With regards to the night shooting number of guns, I believe it only stands
for firearms & shotguns (but will stand corrected)
If there's more than 1 gun to be used on the land, then the landowner/tenant
has to apply for them from DEFRA.

As air rifles aren't under any licensing laws, apart from the FAC rated ones
(at the moment anyway), I believe the law regarding parties of more than 4
constitutes a legal line. (mob handed, whether with permission or not still
constitutes poaching)
But then there's another loophole in our favour,
So long as the 'gang' aren't working in a team of more than 4, the poaching
law is not broken.
So if there's 5 or more going, make sure you split into teams of no more
than 4, and work different areas. :)

Rabbits are classed as pests, not game, and can be taken by any legal method
for the purpose of controlling numbers.

I believe this is another loophole that works in favour of air rifle
hunters, as opposed to firearm hunters.
Long live the air rifle!!! :)

The document states that the person given the permission, should be of the
landowner's employment, or given permission for reward.
I don't charge landowners for removing rabbits, all I ask is that I can
remove my catch.
In theory, I guess this is reward, so am in effect receiving 'payment in
goods' :)

Any thoughts on the matter are most welcome.
If you want any of the related information sheets, I have them on my
website,
at foot of page: www.ukrabbiter.co.uk/permission.htm

Good luck!
--

dB wrote:

> Andy (UK_Rabbiter) wrote:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/cons_man/vertpest/pa11.pdf
> > explains about controlling rabbits and a landowner's/tenants legal
> > obligation to do so
>
> Thanks Andy,
>
> All the extra ammo (pun intended) helps with these things.
>
> Has anyone come a cropper on shooting at night where they are not the
owner
> occupier? I typically go out with a mate - one points one shoots
arrangement
> so would that be a technical infringement of the rules of night shooting?
As
> niether of us are the owner or occupier but I have the written permission.
> Or does common sense prevail - hang on did I just attribute the legal
system
> with common sense? Silly me.
>
> Regards
> dB

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> "Andy (UK_Rabbiter)" <andy@ukrabbiter.co.uk> wrote in message
>> http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/cons_man/vertpest/pa1
>> 1.pdf explains about controlling rabbits and a landowner's/tenants
>> legal obligation to do so
>
> Thanks Andy,
>
> All the extra ammo (pun intended) helps with these things.
>
> Has anyone come a cropper on shooting at night where they are not the
> owner occupier? I typically go out with a mate - one points one
> shoots arrangement so would that be a technical infringement of the
> rules of night shooting? As niether of us are the owner or occupier
> but I have the written permission. Or does common sense prevail -
> hang on did I just attribute the legal system with common sense?
> Silly me.

As far as I know there are no recommended night shooting practices for
vermin shooting BUT there are strict and stringent Scottish night
shooting practices for deer control.
If you were to have to submit a report to the NT then it would be wise
to base your report on the Scottish night shooting practises.
You *might* be required to submit a health and safety assessment to the
NT.

Look here: http://www.dcs.gov.uk/bestpractice/il_night.htm

John