Best Processor under $300

G

Alrighty... 1 choice to make:

1)p4 1.8 Oc'd to 2ghz (after aug 28th price cuts) Rambus is no longer included in the 260 dollar price right?

2)athlon t-bird 1.4 oc'd to 1.53. I'd like to choose the palomino 1.53 but I don't want to wait till the end of sept. - athlon mb's for the 1.4 will support the palomino right?
what are the advantages to each and what recommendations do you all have? I want the best but not if it costs me more than 300 bucks.

And let's not start a war here :) - just look at it objectively (hehe- yeah right.)

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm but the Pentium 1.8Ghz parts are all priced at $600+ , whereas the Athlon 1.4 is $150.

The new Asus KG7 has Palmino support (not yet proven in test benchmarks) but hey it is Asus.
My advice is to the get the KG7 and an Athlon 1.33Ghz (266/133Mhz). Then when the Palmino is becoming mainstream, buy one of them.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh yeah, the current P4 Williamite will probably end at 2.0Ghz and then you will need a whole new board for Northwood (different socket). At least if you go with the Athlon you have upgrade options.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Whoa, slow down there, buddy.

According to PriceWatch, the P4 1.8 is $564, no RDRAM, no upgrade path.
The Tbird 1.4 is $145, no DDR, great upgrade path.
Easy choice :)

Secondly, the KG7-RAID is an <font color=red>Abit</font color=red> board, not Asus. It's around $189 on PriceWatch, not quite out yet.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What do you mean slow down!
All I did was say exactly the same as you did and recommended a Mobo aswell (IE Asus KG7).
I rounded the the prices up slightly to be realistic given the fact that pricewatch only shows the lowest price on the cover page. From what I've seen from some of the major sites some are selling the P4 1.8 for 700 but most around 620. Then you still gotta pay for shipping.

G

it doesn't matter. Intel will drop the price to 260 bucks on Aug. 26th--
that's when I would want to buy anyway-- like I said, under $300

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, except it's the Abit KG7, did you read the second part of my post? :)

Personally, I ordered a lot of my computer from the cheapest price on PriceWatch. I didn't have any major problems.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I disagree with both of your posts.

first, the guy clearly asked if he should get a P4 AFTER the price comes down by as much as 50%, Intel is cutting prices on Aug 26. that would make the 1.8 P4 under $300.

second, the P4 Willamette is also available in socket 478 to ease the transistion(please ignore fatbugger in regards to this issue, he is beyond clueless) from moving to the Northwood .13micron process.

to the original poster, I would also wait for the Northwood and a mobo with the SiS645 chipset that will be available soon, this solution provides you with support for DDR333, DDR266 and PC133 SDRAM.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
ROFL
I can't believe AMD just called me clueless. That's hilarious.

AFTER the price comes down by as much as 50%, Intel is cutting prices on Aug 26. that would make the 1.8 P4 under $300.

Right, and since last time Intel cut the prices by "50%", they went down by about 25%...

G

Took yer that long to login after posting that, must have a crap server! :tongue: