Palomino Chipset

G

What chipset's and MB are going to support the palomino upgrade path?
I am thinking t-bird 1.4 and then putting a palomino in upwards of 2ghz in when they come out late 2001.
Will I most likely be having to go to a new MB?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
all current motherboards that have facility to change the core voltage will run the Palomino, which is supposed to work on a lower core voltage value.
and even if they dont have any facility to lower teh core voltage they will still run the Palomino and assist you to overclock it. according to the details of Palomino known as of now, it will be 0.13 micron processor that works at 1.7 GHz just aircooled, so it will be capable of working at higher speeds, and will offer the traditional AMD overclocking leverage.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Actually Gary, Palomino isn't a .13 die chip. It's still .18 micron chip.

Palomino DOES offer about 25% cooler performance, lower energy usage, and, with the addition of SSE code support it should offer much better performance with apps, like CAD apps and some games that make heavy use of SSE code.

Generally speaking, most folks will see a roughly 5% performance boost on same clock Palominos vs Thunderbirds.

.13 isn't coming until later this year, and chances are won't be seen in the Athnlon line as a product until the end of the 1st quarter or 2nd quarter next year. What is coming out in .13 is the Hammer chip in fuill sampling numbers and possibly limited release to only one or two tier 1 companies.

mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, i've read both - Palomino being 0.18 as well as 0.13, but just after I posted it I confirmed it to be 0.18 (On Sharkyextreme, THG and Anandtech. just wishful thinking that was! :smile: But Athlon line will have 0.13 micron processors, the Thoroughbred and Barton (0.13 micron SOI), see <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/news/virtualpress/roadmap.html" target="_new">AMD Roadmap</A>! we might not see them in 2001, but for sure in 2002.

it consumed less than half the power at same frequency, 27W against 55W when Tbird and Palomino running at 800 MHz were compared, probably at Anandtech, that should reduce the heat by almost 20%. and will indeed perform 5~10% better than the Tbird. SSE will help it although it should have been SSE2 but most P-IIIs too do not support SSE2 anyway.

and the Hammers will be 0.13, will support SSE2 and I guess although they wont be shipped to the general market, there will be fair volumes of them for the OEM market since basically they target mid to high range markets.

anyway, they will be out there soon to watch for.

gary

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
As far as SSE2 goes, almost nothing supports it. I think AMD was wise to focus on other things first, while waiting for SSE to mature and be implemented in more products before implementing it on their own chips.

The same goes for SSE2. What percentage of apsp incorporates SSE2?

next to 0 now. In a year that may have changed, and AMD will be prepared in a year...but right now, focussing on other areas of the chips (cooler running, lower power requirements, etc.. is a higher priority.

Just MHO of course.

Mark-

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Sorry Gary, didn't mean to diverge so much from the topic of the thread.

Mark-

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Pal if there hit 1.7 that really great.They will be release at 1.5 so no big deal.Until is release P4 will hit the 2.0 and soon after the release of northwood that will be at lease 2.0 ghz maybe 2.2 or 2.4.