Brand Spanking New System

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
ok guys, i have all the parts minus the monitor and speakers sitting on my hardwood floor right now waiting for my friend to come back tomorrow so we can install it. Thanks for your input on my previous posts. Here is what it should look like, (fingers crossed, knocking on wood).

Lian-Li PC-68 (i haven't even used it and i already love it)
Enermax 431 watt PSU with fan control
Asus A7M266 motherboard
2 256 mb pc-2400 cas2 corsair RAM
2 60 Gb 60 GPX hds
promise fasttrak 100TX2 RAID controller
Leadtek winfast Geforce3
AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz 266mhz fsb retail
sound blaster live xgamer 5.1
plextor 16x/10x/40x
pioneer 16x dvd rom
teac 1.44 mb floppy (this is my favorite part)
microsoft natural keyboard pro
microsoft intellimouse
lynksys etherfast 10/100
arctic silver 2
45 piece toolkit (that i won't need)
windows 2000 (is XP gonna be any good?)

and that's it, i already hooked up my hds to the powersupply on my existing computer to see if they're alive and they spin so that's good. Is there anything that i should keep in mind about this specific system when putting it together? And i'm pretty lost in the monitor department i was thinking of a sony 19" but i'm not sure, and i'm even more lost with speakers. i was going to get the klipsch 5.1 but everyone seems to have a different opinion. I wanna listen to music play games, and watch movies, i'm taking this bitch to college.....what do you guys think?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Sony monitors are fantastic if you can get used to the damper lines. I have a GDM-FW900 and it works great--after a week I didn't even notice the damper lines anymore. ViewSonic is also good.

As for speakers, I'd say either Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 or 5.1. Both are fantastic; it's really your pick.

I personally am not holding my breath for WinXP. But then again, I'm a *NIX guy...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

Nice system. Wath are ya using for heat? And can you do me a favor? I read a few reviews that said the li68 can't use the enermax psu cuz the mounting screws are upside down?!? In other words, if you mount the psu, the circulation fan is jammed against the top of the case. I really want to get one of those cases (best available in my area) and the enermax is the best available psu. Please tell me they were all lying...

This parachute is guaranteed for the life of the user...

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
what the hell?? i have no idea what people are telling you, but i designed my system almost exactly according to sharky extreme's high end gaming guide and they used both an enermax and the lian-li pc-68 Not only that, but the psu was the first thing i installed and it took me under a minute since it's the only thing i know how to do without my friend. You just slide it in and screw it on...........screws only go in one way, i'm not sure how they can be upside down, and no there is no fan jammed at the top of the case, there are two gold fans one on the rear of the psu, and one on the bottom of the psu.....trust me, it doesn't get more compatabile than this, you definitely want this case, trust me, it's simple yet perfect. oh and for the cooling i'm using the hsf that came with the processor because it's warranteed for 3 years and i don't plan to overclock so that should be fine. I was looking into the millenium glaciator, but that's too expensive.

G

Sony monitors are great, that little grey line is hardly noticable, I got rid of the problem by making all my windows and desktop dark colors. One problem, you better keep that monitor in one place (no LAN parties) it will weigh a ton!

Aklein

It's July. O the Joy of Summer!

G

Thanx for the info, If I ever find that article I'll send you a link for a laugh. Good luck with your new baby.

This parachute is guaranteed for the life of the user...