Palomino for gamming????

stano

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Now that I made my choise of mobo's, Abit KG7-Raid, I'm wondering which CPU to go with..T-Bird or spend more and go with the Palomino????? This system will be for gamming., OK maybe some o/c'ing. My question is this..will it be a waist of money using the Palomino?

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
The Athlon MPs were only intended for use in multi-processor systems. AMD is charging a premium for them. The desktop version of the Palominos (not MP certified) should arrive in a couple of months and they will debut at faster speeds. As everyone should know by now, the Palominos have SSE support. I'd say wait for the Desktop Palominos to arrive to get the SSE instruction set support.

I play a couple of RTS games (i.e., "Earth 2150", and "The Moon Project") in which the mutli-light source graphics effects are computed <b>only if</b> the processor has SSE capability. With SSE, the objects in the 3D world is brighter and more colorful in low lighting conditions (these game have changing day/night cycles as oppose to static unchanging broad daylight scenes). Without SSE, those same objects looks dark, cold, dull, and bland in low lighting conditions. Not saying this happens alot, but I rather have SSE supported.

aster

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Price is not the biggest factor. The Tbird is here now. You will have to wait till the end of Sept. fof the Palomino.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no you wont waste your money. properly cooled and overclocked, the Tbirds work very well. palomino will offer a bit of performance and a lot less heating, but you board will take the Palomino in any case.

you can have the latest HYJHA stepping Athlon Tbird 1~1.1 GHz and let it run at 1.5! get some cooler like OCz gladiator. frankly, you wont need to wait for a Palomino.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Actually Aster, I suspect we'll see Palomino out earlier in September. I think we'll see it in around 4 weeks from now. It will probably be announce during or near the time of the Intel conference in late August. It may even start shipping to manufacturers at that time, with availability within a week or two.

Of course, this is just my guess and I could be way off base.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!