LeRoy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have just built myself a new computer with an ASUS A7M266 in a Lian-Li case and a 1.4G Athlon with a FOP-32 HSF using artic silver. The Asus probe software that comes with the mobo reports a temerature of between 40 and 48 depending on what I am doing and what the temperature outside is like. I have 2 questions to ask. Firstly, Where is the software getting this temperature from because I know that the processor does not have a temperature sensor built in? Secondly what HSF could be used to achieve a lower temperature?

bertvandonk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
the temperature you quote is not to high.But your best bet is in my opinion a Blizzard heatsink.My system nearly identical to yours.At at an ambient temperature of 25.0 C
The MB temp 27 C ,CPU temp 41 C.
The major trick is to mount your heatsink on the processor
with a good thermal conductor (ie artic silver) so there is
good thermal contact between the CPU and the heatsink.Most of the people around here can help.(Except Fug* AM* etc)
Hope this helps!
avandonk

avandonk

bertvandonk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Sorry I missed your real question.There is a thermistor below the CPU on an AMD A7M266.There is a myth that it reads
10 deg C high.On my system re my previouse post as anyone
can see it is almost impossible! Asus pc probe gave the same
numbers as MB5 !
Sorry!

avandonk

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I have an FOP 32-1 with the thermal pad still on. I o/c my 1.0ghz to 1.4ghz--29 celcius/45celcius. I doubt slapping some Artic Silver II will make any significant improvements.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>