Conexant modem in Dell Dimension 4300 hangs up constantly

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 desktop with a Conexant HCF v90 Data Fax
PCI modem. This modem hangs up constantly (no flow of data), like
every five minutes, and when this happens I must disconnect and
reconnect. Then it hangs up again, etc. The problem is not the ISP
because my internet service works flawlessly with my Compaq laptop.

I've compared the modem settings to those of the laptop and they are
identical. I lowered the max. connection speed to 4800 bps to see if
that would help but it didn't. I also tried downloading a new driver
from Dell but it seems like I already had the newest one, dated 8/8/01
(although the release date is 10/12/01).

As it is, this computer is useless for internet. Any suggestions?

PL

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

Why not remove the internal modem and replace it with an external one.

"plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 4300 desktop with a Conexant HCF v90 Data Fax
> PCI modem. This modem hangs up constantly (no flow of data), like
> every five minutes, and when this happens I must disconnect and
> reconnect. Then it hangs up again, etc. The problem is not the ISP
> because my internet service works flawlessly with my Compaq laptop.
>
> I've compared the modem settings to those of the laptop and they are
> identical. I lowered the max. connection speed to 4800 bps to see if
> that would help but it didn't. I also tried downloading a new driver
> from Dell but it seems like I already had the newest one, dated 8/8/01
> (although the release date is 10/12/01).
>
> As it is, this computer is useless for internet. Any suggestions?
>
> PL

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

Easy solution. Remove the WinModem and toss it in the box that the
cables/software came in. Then buy a GOOD hardware modem (FYI Wal~Mart
sells US Robotics for about 75.00 http://snipurl.com/8yyr online).
That way the modem works independent of the
processor and almost always gives you a better connection speed.

--
Steve

"plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dimension 4300 desktop with a Conexant HCF v90 Data Fax
> PCI modem. This modem hangs up constantly (no flow of data), like
> every five minutes, and when this happens I must disconnect and
> reconnect. Then it hangs up again, etc. The problem is not the ISP
> because my internet service works flawlessly with my Compaq laptop.
>
> I've compared the modem settings to those of the laptop and they are
> identical. I lowered the max. connection speed to 4800 bps to see if
> that would help but it didn't. I also tried downloading a new driver
> from Dell but it seems like I already had the newest one, dated 8/8/01
> (although the release date is 10/12/01).
>
> As it is, this computer is useless for internet. Any suggestions?
>
> PL

RonJ

On 9 Sep 2004 13:46:07 -0700, plabord@lycos.com (plabord) wrote:

>I have a Dell Dimension 4300 desktop with a Conexant HCF v90 Data Fax
>PCI modem. This modem hangs up constantly (no flow of data), like
>every five minutes, and when this happens I must disconnect and
>reconnect. Then it hangs up again, etc. The problem is not the ISP
>because my internet service works flawlessly with my Compaq laptop.
>
>I've compared the modem settings to those of the laptop and they are
>identical. I lowered the max. connection speed to 4800 bps to see if
>that would help but it didn't. I also tried downloading a new driver
>from Dell but it seems like I already had the newest one, dated 8/8/01
>(although the release date is 10/12/01).
>
>As it is, this computer is useless for internet. Any suggestions?
>
>PL

You can buy a good name brand V.92 or V.90 dial-up modem for peanuts
at any computer store. Might be a cheap way out of a lot of
aggravation!!

Thanks for the responses. I've been hesitating to conclude that
replacing the modem is the solution (although it may be in my case)
because other people who have posted to other forums with the same
problem have replaced it to no avail.

One thing I just realized that's weird about this problem is that if I
have a download going at the time that "the modem hangs up," although
I cannot initiate anything else (like going to a new page on a browser
or starting new downloads, etc.), the original download will continue
indefinitely until completed.

This also makes me wonder if the problem might not be something
besides the modem. If it were truly hanging up, wouldn't that also
stop the downloads already underway? How is it that these downloads
can continue but no other data flow can be initiated? It may be that
modems can malfunction in this way, I don't know. I may end up
replacing it anyway, but it just seems weird.

PL

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

"plabord" <plabord@lycos.com> wrote in message

>I have a Dell Dimension 4300 desktop with a Conexant HCF v90 Data Fax
> PCI modem. This modem hangs up constantly (no flow of data), like
> every five minutes,

Control panel|system|hardware|device manager|modems|Conexant HCF|uninstall.
Power down, restart, reinstall the driver. If that doesn't fix it, repeat
the previous steps but open the case after powering down and remove the
modem. Then restart, power down, reinstall the card, restart and reinstall
the drivers.

If that doesn't fix it, your modem is bad- chuck it out. New ones cost $17
these days at your local computer store-- even less at Wal-Mart

In that case it sounds more like you have a software problem not the
modem. Take a look at what is running when the freeze up
happens. Maybe another program is trying to connect up and causing this.

--
Steve Williams

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message news:<41449737_8@corp.newsgroups.com>...
> In that case it sounds more like you have a software problem not the
> modem. Take a look at what is running when the freeze up
> happens. Maybe another program is trying to connect up and causing this.
>
> --
> Steve Williams

Thanks Steve. I did find an "app" (wuamgrd.exe) that was messing with
the modem, and traced the problem down to the W32/RBot-A worm. None of
my protection software detected it. After removing it, my modem is
working like a champ again. :) However, I wish I had read your post
before I purchased a new modem. :(

PL