Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replacing Win 7 with Win XP

Last response: in Windows 7
May 13, 2010 3:11:39 AM

Hello,
Detest Win 7 & my precious programs don't work. Want to install 32-bit Win XP Pro [Dell OEM preferable, but full version acceptable]. Just acquired 64-bit Dell Studio 1555 with Win 7 Home installed. Awful. Internet Explorer 8 also awful. How to overcome this problem?

More about : replacing win win

a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 3:39:49 AM

You're probably going to be stuck going the retail version route. I don't think Dell is doing XP OEM sales to the public.
Or you might try E-Bog and see what you can scare up there.

Just for safety's sake (and not loosing the use of your laptop) I'd suggest making a dual boot option. Win7 and XP SP3. You can 'shrink' the hard disk partition with Win7, create a new partition and install XP there.

Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with XP

Score
May 13, 2010 4:56:05 AM

^+1. What problems specifically are you having with 7? You can always get Firefox or Chrome for the browser.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 7:10:58 AM

Tsk tsk... I foresee that XP will have a lot of people clinging to the past..
Score
May 21, 2010 6:39:32 PM

jbakerlent said:
^+1. What problems specifically are you having with 7? You can always get Firefox or Chrome for the browser.

No particular problems, I just don't like it. I did installl Firefox and like it better, also feel safer.
Score
May 21, 2010 6:39:53 PM

WR2 said:
You're probably going to be stuck going the retail version route. I don't think Dell is doing XP OEM sales to the public.
Or you might try E-Bog and see what you can scare up there.

Just for safety's sake (and not loosing the use of your laptop) I'd suggest making a dual boot option. Win7 and XP SP3. You can 'shrink' the hard disk partition with Win7, create a new partition and install XP there.

Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with XP

Actually, I have an Dell OEM version of XP from my previous Dell laptop. That's what I tried to install when I was blocked by Win7. But I'm told you have to install XP first because it doesn't recognize the Win7 boot files and overwrites them.
Score
May 21, 2010 6:42:58 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Tsk tsk... I foresee that XP will have a lot of people clinging to the past..

Not clinging to the past, hon, just trying to be efficient and productive. Also trying to save my many and very expensive programs that won't work with Win7, because I can't afford to buy new ones. XP is an easy system to work with, I hate icons and prefer list formats, on and on my reasons. Don't be so quick to judge. I've been around computers probably long before you were born and have adapted to many changes--from punched cards and tape to what exists today.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2010 6:43:18 PM

OldBroad said:
Actually, I have an Dell OEM version of XP from my previous Dell laptop. That's what I tried to install when I was blocked by Win7. But I'm told you have to install XP first because it doesn't recognize the Win7 boot files and overwrites them.

You could use a LiveCD of Linux and proceed with an installation of that to the point where it resizes the Windows Partition and then cancel it out. Alternatively install ,say, PCLinuxOS, use DrakLive to resize the Partitions to your requirements, making sure Linux takes up as little space as possible and then pop XP in. You could then configure Grub or Lilo to command the booting process instead of letting W7's BCDEDIT do it.

Radical perhaps but workable.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2010 11:50:37 PM

OldBroad said:
There are ways around the differences in WinXP / Win7 boot file differences. Including installing XP after Win7. What version of XP service pack is that Dell OEM disk? SP2? SP3? (no service pack?)

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP Read about Method 2. Win7 installed first.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 22, 2010 6:39:23 AM

[#0005ff]I should have added to my earlier post that it's wise to pop the Service Tag reference into the appropriate box at the Dell website and make sure drivers are available for XP as this is a 64bit laptop, before doing any of the above. [/#000ff]
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 22, 2010 9:55:19 AM

OldBroad said:
Not clinging to the past, hon, just trying to be efficient and productive. Also trying to save my many and very expensive programs that won't work with Win7, because I can't afford to buy new ones. XP is an easy system to work with, I hate icons and prefer list formats, on and on my reasons. Don't be so quick to judge. I've been around computers probably long before you were born and have adapted to many changes--from punched cards and tape to what exists today.

Why not adapt to one more change then? XP won't be around forever, you know. MS will stop supporting and updating it, software developers will stop making programs for it, and where does that leave you? If you've been around since punched cards (gasp), then surely you've gone through many, many OS revisions before Windows 7. Sometimes one has to bite the bullet and get out of your comfort zone.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 22, 2010 12:16:05 PM

OldBroad said:
Also trying to save my many and very expensive programs that won't work with Win7, because I can't afford to buy new ones. XP is an easy system to work with, I hate icons and prefer list formats, on and on my reasons.
I've had really good experiences moving XP era programs over to Win7 (with a few exceptions). And you can always adjust Win7 preferences to let you use list formats vs icon displays.

Having a dual boot system (you can choose which is the primary OS) can get you the benefits of both Win7 and XP.
I still have XP (and Vista) available and use them everyone once in a blue moon. (and Im running DOSBOX on Win7 too).
Score
May 25, 2010 12:29:46 AM

WR2 said:
There are ways around the differences in WinXP / Win7 boot file differences. Including installing XP after Win7. What version of XP service pack is that Dell OEM disk? SP2? SP3? (no service pack?)

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP Read about Method 2. Win7 installed first.

Dell OEM is SP 1, but I have SP 2 on a cd.
Score
May 25, 2010 12:30:13 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]I should have added to my earlier post that it's wise to pop the Service Tag reference into the appropriate box at the Dell website and make sure drivers are available for XP as this is a 64bit laptop, before doing any of the above. [/#000ff]

Thanks, I'll do that.
Score
May 25, 2010 12:34:03 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Why not adapt to one more change then? XP won't be around forever, you know. MS will stop supporting and updating it, software developers will stop making programs for it, and where does that leave you? If you've been around since punched cards (gasp), then surely you've gone through many, many OS revisions before Windows 7. Sometimes one has to bite the bullet and get out of your comfort zone.

I'm not going to be around all that much longer, I have all the programs I'll ever need, and my printers and scanners won't work with Win 7. And yes, I have been around many operating system changes on many different kinds of computers. Each time, there has been a loss of productivity and of money.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 11:18:06 AM

Herr_Koos said:

I happen to prefer XP also.

And I for one am getting tired of being lectured by people who think I and others are resisting change. Maybe we just don't like Windows 7. Whats your answer to that?

XP is still in half of all computer systems and will recieve security updates though 2014. Only 1 year before support for Windows 7 home premium ends.

This fantasy that software will suddenly stop or updates will suddenly disappear is just that, a fantasy.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 11:22:51 AM

Not lecturing, just stating the facts, so please don't misunderstand me. Make no mistake, I love XP, it's still my primary OS, and will be for the foreseeable future. But, like 3.1, 95, 98, ME and 2000 before it (all of which I used), at some stage you have to move on.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 11:29:02 AM

OldBroad said:
Hello,
Detest Win 7 & my precious programs don't work. Want to install 32-bit Win XP Pro [Dell OEM preferable, but full version acceptable]. Just acquired 64-bit Dell Studio 1555 with Win 7 Home installed. Awful. Internet Explorer 8 also awful. How to overcome this problem?

Are you trying to dual boot the two or you just want Windows XP on its own?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 11:30:19 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Not lecturing, just stating the facts, so please don't misunderstand me. Make no mistake, I love XP, it's still my primary OS, and will be for the foreseeable future. But, like 3.1, 95, 98, ME and 2000 before it (all of which I used), at some stage you have to move on.

Someday, perhaps. But not today.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 12:18:56 PM

FALC0N said:
Someday, perhaps. But not today.

Fair, I can't argue with you at all. Stick to what works for as long as possible.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 2:57:28 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Fair, I can't argue with you at all. Stick to what works for as long as possible.

So will I and I definitely can't recommend to any of my customers running a network of more than a dozen systems to change over to W7 yet and at least not until the first SP comes along.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 3:04:02 PM

Saga Lout said:
So will I and I definitely can't recommend to any of my customers running a network of more than a dozen systems to change over to W7 yet and at least not until the first SP comes along.

That would be October, by the way. From what I've read so far, SP1 is basically just security updates/minor fixes rolled into one. No major new features to speak of, although that might change before launch.
Score
September 26, 2010 4:44:42 PM

OldBroad said:
I'm not going to be around all that much longer, I have all the programs I'll ever need, and my printers and scanners won't work with Win 7. And yes, I have been around many operating system changes on many different kinds of computers. Each time, there has been a loss of productivity and of money.

I feel the same way, my friend. Cut my teeth, so to speak, on a keypunch machine many years ago and haven't stopped 'computing' since. I just bought a Dell Studio XPS with Win 7 Pro and all the heavy duty parts I will ever need to create my websites for clients....but, I'm not happy at all with Win 7 and trying to learn the difference in the time and work invovled between dual-booting and a Virtual PC ....Got way too much invested in the sites I've done and the equipment I've purchased to let it all to down the drain at this point....as you said, I won't be around long enough to see the next 'great' OS that they come out with, so I need to figure a way to make all my expensive software work on the last new computer I'll have buy.
I have read alot of how-to's and watched alot of videos lately and I'm leaning toward the Virtual PC ....won't have to mess with Win 7 at all....just allocate most of my 1 T hard drive to the XP Pro os and leave win 7 alone and lonely. :)  I wish us both Good Luck. :sol:  :hello: 
Janice
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 9:03:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!