kstall

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Greetings everyone,

Here is what I have:
AMD 1.2 Ghz Athlon
Not overclocked
Cooler Master DP5-6H51 /w thermal tape
3 exhaust fans and two intake and numerous. All fans totaled equals 7.
Mid tower ATX case
CD burner and CD ROM
NIC card
GeForce II video card
Pinnacle video capture card

Here is the problem. My CPU consistanly overheats with minimal load. No load on CPU, temprature is 96 degress F. With load, it hits 130+ degrees F and hangs up. It starts alarming at 122 degrees F.
I have invested numerous dollars to fix the problem. Obviously, I am not as talented as I thought!! Does anyone have a possible solution? I thought of buying a Swiftech MC462-A CPU cooler with Artic Silver compound. I have also considered getting a full tower. I need help. Thanks!!!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Well, the Coolermaster HSF's aren't exactly the top of line HSF's. Also, thermal tape is worthless. Use some good thermal goop. Go with a better HSF and use some Artic Silver II and your problems should go away.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your cooler is marginal with my PIII 700 at 933. The 1.2 Athlon makes even more heat. You really need a better cooler. While simply adding a better fan, such as the Evercool 32CFM unit, to the Coolermaster heatsink would work at 1.2GHz, it would be marginal for any future overclocking or upgrades. I recommend the Swiftech. Oh, and thermal tape is not so good. Almsot any paste will do better.

Video killed my Radio Card!

TRENDING THREADS