G

When I changed fans on my 800Mhz Athlon I took the proc off of the motherboard first (very important) and then filled the kitchin sink with warm soapy water, and used my Lufa brush from the shower to scrub the processor, the water and bubbles do a great job and the lufa brush helps get a "deep-down" clean.

;-)

G

whoah there, the kitchen sinks a little drastic, dontcha think? Stick with nail polish remover and the rubbing alchohol.

Aklein

It's July. O the Joy of Summer!

G

I am not sure if you can get this in the US but here in Australia we have a product called eucalyptus oil,it is derived from Australian gum trees and it is excellent for removing heatsink compound.
It is available in supermarkets and is not expensive.
I use it all the time in my work ( electronics repairs ).

G

Smells nice and its the same stuff Koala's get drunk on so its got to be good.

But good ol' nail polish remover is excellent and widely available.

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I use hot soapy water all the time-it's less destructive than chemicals. But if you have to use chemicals, use Charcoal Lighter Fluid-it works better than Acetone for gummy stuff and is less harsh.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

I use a Q-Tip and an organic window washing fluid. Like lemon or orange juice + water. The citric acid really cuts the Arctic silver off the processor (porcellain and core and nooks and crannies of the bridges.) You can use an industrial cleaner. It won't hurt the CPU unless the core is cracked and then well, it's ready for the shitcan anyway. I would steer away from anything oil based like eucalyptus or a cleaner with an oil base just coz it's messy and is semi conductive as well as a heat retainer. If you want you can use Windex or something like that just don't be too generous with the quanity. Anything with harsh acid content is not recommended. Alcohol is alright, things like acetone and paint thinner and nail polish remover are a definite "no no" even though it won't kill the CPU. It may eat some of the protective coating on the core (also not critical.) For God sakes don't use bleach, phospheric acid, sulphuric acid, or carbeureter cleaner!! Giving you're CPU a full on bath is NOT a good idea, but I'd bet you six ways for Sunday after it's dry it'd still be fine! Despite popular belief, using a sweatty gym sock and spit shining the bastard just doesn't get it entirely squeaky clean.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matthews on 08/14/01 05:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>