You thought T-Birds where HOT!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The 130W Itanium is viewed as a particularly difficult processor to implement according to many system builders because it is quite simply so hot.

<b><i>At 130 watts, the 0.18-micron Itanium dissipates significantly more heat than the 32-bit Pentium 4. "If you open up our [Dell PowerEdge] 7150 [a 7U server with four Itaniums], about two-thirds of that is fans," said Kevin Libert, director of Dell Computer Corp.'s Enterprise Systems Group. That's typical of many Itanium servers, said Libert, who maintained that the problem will persist with the 0.13-micron versions of Itanium. </b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/" target="_new">http://www.aceshardware.com/</A>
Jesh I thought my 1.2ghz @ 1.46ghz (85w) T-Bird was Hot! Not no more. Itanic melting Iceburgs. LOL. :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 08/11/01 08:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, they say it wont be too different even when the 0.13 micron chips arrive!

if its this hot, then you should have some means to use this dissipated energy instead of using some more just to blow it off.

you could have a coffee vending machine on top of a quad Itanium server. there will be frequent visits to the server and it will be a better way to indicate the server status is down or not. compaq, dell, hp, ibm listening???

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Better yet.....

put one on each worker's desk (programmers especially, of course) so they can use it as a coffee cup warmer (place the hot coffee cup on the case and it will keep it nice and warm!

Just think of the improvement in productivity!!!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
LOL, it could be a new way for a hot water heater. You don't need gas no more, just energize the Itanic processor for all the hot water anyone needs. Problem is if not enough people use the hot water then the hot water heater would turn into a steam boiler and run turbines and stuff. Shoot, your house could be powered by Intel after all.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 08/12/01 07:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Ooh yeah!!!

Itanic Hot water heater!!

Could it heat enough water for common household things like.. baths, dishwasher, etc?

If so, that would seriously make the Itanium much more valuable for home use!

Another thing to use Itanium or any hot running CPU.....

In cold climates...

hand warmer!!!

Come in from the cold and rub your hands over top the CPU and they'll warm up in no time!!

Mark-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i was thinking water heater yes.
you get an array of dual itaniums,
construct a large water bath, and connect up all the processors using parralel peltiers. bingo! hot water service.

seriously though... with that kinda heat output, how are they cooled? itst that getting beyond what any aircooler can do?

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
They do? I'm surprised since there are no 64 bit home apps, virtually no mainstream OS support (on the assumption that Joe family has windows or a MAC).

I though were in for about 2005 before 64 bit went mainstream, in which time Intel has plenty of time to refine their server chips for home use.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, the Joe family will use their Windows 2000 on a dual Itanium machine (it supports IA-32 code right?), run SET@Home every morning to get their water hot and make them some coffee, little Joe will play Quake on it all day to keep their house warm and daddy Joe will work out his expenses and the budget in the evenings to cook their dinner!

what a multi purpose gadget just that its too expensive today for the Joe family even after they trade their water heater, coffee machine, the room heater, the stove and some cash to get this computer!

read the thread well yaar! we are discussing on a serious issue of Itanium heating problem and what could we do with the enormous heat the Itanium server could generate.

I thought you could contribute to this brain-storming thread instead of making silly technical arguments!

girish

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
nope - Itanium is pure 64 bit only. The Hammer from AMD supposedly supports both but I personally suspect that it may do neither as well as could be achieved with 2 dedicated chips.

Anyway - if your really want to put those Itaniums to use, why not use them as steam generators for power plants? With the power shortage in Silicon Valley, use the heat from the cpus to make electricity to run the cpus...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
me - an Intel fan? not really - I'm in the AMD camp at present, waiting to see if Northwood will release me or if nForce/SiS735 will keep me chained to the Athlon.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
imagine using their heat sinks on an tbird or an mp... if it can keep the itanium cool enough to run... imagine the clock speed of an athlon running at 130 watts...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I just wonder how much heat my old overclocked Cyrix MII-300 generated. I was only running it at 231MHz vs the 225MHz spec. (Comp ran unstable at 75MHz FSB, so I had to run it at 3.5 * 66 instead of 3.0 * 75) I removed the fan from a power supply and hooked it up forcing air through a foam cup, directly into the Heatsink.... And it still overheated (POP!...Restart) Mostly just when playing AoE or AoK. Got in the habit of saving every 2 minutes.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive found my oc'ed athlon is more like a room heater.
combined with the psu & oldish 17" monitor my cold study room gets nice and toasty.

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
How can you SAY that?!?!?!

Your nick fits right in!

Add some cheese to make it an AMDMeltSandwich! ;)

better yet...an IttyMelt! ;)

Sorry for the lapse of odd levity...the thread just seemed to go that way so I just wanted to add my odd twist of humor.

Mark-

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
always though intel's wer the coolest chips?

Itanium is cool! eats 130W at just 800 MHz!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I wonder if the Itanic has thermal throttling??? It should, otherwise it may desolder its own socket in 2 seconds flat. Hey that would be good protection, chip gets too hot, socket drops from the motherboard. :lol:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 08/14/01 03:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

ROTFLMAO

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>