processor upgrade?

G

I have a old computer that I built in late 1997 and I need to know if I can upgrade the processor to an AMK K6-2. Right now I have a Iwill P55XUWB motherboard with a system bus speed of 66mhz with an AMD K6-I 200mhz processor. The manual doesn't tell me if I can overclock the system bus speed. Do I really need to have a system bus speed of 100mhz to upgrade to an AMD K6-II?
The voltages the motherboard seems to be able to support is 2.1-3.5v. I'm not sure if it can support 2.0 volts. Is this ok?
The max cpu speed I can set the processor to is 300mhz through jumpers. Maybe a bios update can take care of this limitation?
Anyway, the main question is, can I upgrade to a faster AMD K6-II processor?

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if the BIOS will work with it, you should be able to run a regular K6 2 at 400Mhz(6x 66) or 450 (6x 75)
With the K6 2, the multiple of 2 on the motherboard translates to 6 in the processor.
set your motherboard for 2.2v(which is normal voltage for most K6 2s)fsb as fast as it will go, and the multiplier of 2.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Listen to the last guy. I do this type of upgrade frequently as a refurbisher. The K6-2's do a 2x=6x internal multiplier conversion. I have even upgraded old 2.8v motherboards with the 2.2v processor, with proper cooling even that works. Chesk the doncumentation for your motherboard at Iwill's site to see what the highest bus setting is. If it is less than 100, go for the 2x=6x feature on either the 66MHz bus (400 MHz) or the 75 (450) or 83 (500) if available.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

I have one more question. How can I get into pure dos mode if I'm running windows 2000? I haven't been able to create any successful startup disks. I need to run in pure dos mode to upgrade my bios.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
when installing win2k there is an option to create boot disks. also in win2k you can do it also.

unsure of weather or not these disks work.

for me...
easiest way is to find an win95/98/me machine, stick in a floppy, format as a boot disk, then copy over all your flashing files to either the boot disk or a fat32 drive on your system. flash, then reboot like normal (with luck)

(NOTE: one of the reasons why my old 16gig 5400rpm ata33 drive is NOT NTFS. useful in dire emergencies & to put flash files and the like.)

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a pretty sweet little program, pretty much creates a DOS boot disk. I needed to make Win98 boot disk from Win2k, I think the file is on a 98CD, not sure, its named boot.exe.
it boots into DOS with CDROM access.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

G

there is no more DOS in Win2K (as with Win NT).. If your motherboard manufacturer doesnt support BIOS flashing in win2K, go here: www.bootdisk.com and download a DOS 5 image. Copy the flashing tools on it, boot from it, flash, and you'r done.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip