.22 Moderators

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

I remember a while back, one fo the monthly mags ran a feature comparing
different moderators. Now I want to buy one, I can't find the issue it was
in! Can anyone help?

Thanks,

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"- Jeff K -" <jefremoveknigh@yahoodotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote in

> I remember a while back, one fo the monthly mags ran a feature
> comparing different moderators. Now I want to buy one, I can't find
> the issue it was in! Can anyone help?

Gunmart “what gun” issue.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Typical, would be in one of the mags I don't keep! Thanks for the info
anyway....

If you happen to have the article, perhaps you could let me know which came
out top for .22?

Jeff

"John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "- Jeff K -" <jefremoveknigh@yahoodotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > I remember a while back, one fo the monthly mags ran a feature
> > comparing different moderators. Now I want to buy one, I can't find
> > the issue it was in! Can anyone help?
>
> Gunmart "what gun" issue.
>
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> Typical, would be in one of the mags I don't keep! Thanks for the
> info anyway....
>
> If you happen to have the article, perhaps you could let me know
> which came out top for .22?

I did have the mag but the better half has disposed of it :(

If you want my opinion for your raw cash you’ll not find much better
than the original Parker Hale MM1, okay they are basic but they are
solid and cheap (£20 or less).
I have seen and tried a few moderators over the years and yes some have
been slightly better than the MM1 but they were twice the size and four
times the price. In essence you can use any .22 moderator as long as it
has a ½” UNF threat (and your rifle has the same) so if you want to look
around do a google search, Venom make some fine stuff, as do most of the
UK manufactures. Some of the full bore moderator manufactures make
smaller moderators, so you could check their sites but again, for the
money and the fact that I’ve never cleaned my MM1 in over 10 years with
no loss of accuracy or sound reduction, I would whole heartily recommend
them.

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

As an after thought……..

You’ll most likely only get between 2 and four shots at sitting targets
with a moderated rifle. The muzzle report isn’t the only thing that spooks
your quarry, the bullet impact and the air disruption of a high shot
spooks the hell out of animals, so don’t spend to much time worrying over
which moderator to use because in truth you’ll not gain much advantage
using a £200 moderator over a £20 moderator. There’s nothing you can do
about the sound of the impact.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:47:46 +0100, "- Jeff K -"
<jefremoveknigh@yahoodotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote:

>I remember a while back, one fo the monthly mags ran a feature comparing
>different moderators. Now I want to buy one, I can't find the issue it was
>in! Can anyone help?

Jeff

I've had an original parker hale moderator for 15 years now, its
great. AFter lots of rounds, you get powder build up inside it and you
need to scrape the baffles clean with a screwdriver. Ive cleaned it
loads of times and althought the baffles are becoming warped, its
still works just fine. I might get new baffles someday, or maybe even
splash out on a new one.

I can't remember what I paid, but like John says, it was cheap but
definately not nasty.

Robbie

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:47:46 +0100, "- Jeff K -"
<jefremoveknigh@yahoodotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote:

>I remember a while back, one fo the monthly mags ran a feature comparing
>different moderators. Now I want to buy one, I can't find the issue it was
>in! Can anyone help?

Jeff

I've had an original parker hale moderator for nearly 20 years now,
its great. After lots of rounds (thousands), you get powder build up
inside it and you need to scrape the baffles clean with a screwdriver.

Ive cleaned it loads of times and although the baffles are becoming
warped, it still works just fine. I might get new baffles someday, or
maybe even splash out on a new one.

I'ts probably heavier than some newer ones but I like the way my gun
feels with it on so Regardless of what type of ammo I'm using, it
stays on.

I can't remember what I paid, but like John says, it was cheap but
definately not nasty.

Robbie

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Thanks both - you've answered my unasked question, as I'd seen them range in
price from £25ish to well over £100, and was wondering if you got much extra
at the top end.

Even the Air Arms one on my airgun was over twice the price you both
mention - and as it appears to be light alloy, I'm not sticking it anywhere
near the rimfire to test it! :)

Jeff

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:47:46 +0100, "- Jeff K -"
> <jefremoveknigh@yahoodotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I remember a while back, one fo the monthly mags ran a feature comparing
> >different moderators. Now I want to buy one, I can't find the issue it
was
> >in! Can anyone help?
>
> Jeff
>
> I've had an original parker hale moderator for nearly 20 years now,
> its great. After lots of rounds (thousands), you get powder build up
> inside it and you need to scrape the baffles clean with a screwdriver.
>
> Ive cleaned it loads of times and although the baffles are becoming
> warped, it still works just fine. I might get new baffles someday, or
> maybe even splash out on a new one.
>
> I'ts probably heavier than some newer ones but I like the way my gun
> feels with it on so Regardless of what type of ammo I'm using, it
> stays on.
>
> I can't remember what I paid, but like John says, it was cheap but
> definately not nasty.
>
> Robbie

Hello Jeff. The review is in the 18Dec. issue of the ST. I still have a copy
and could scan and email it to you if you email me direct.
Michael Roberts. www.countrysports.co.uk

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Many thanks for the offer - YHM.

Jeff

--
"- Jeff K -" <jefremoveknigh@yahoodotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote in message
> Many thanks for the offer - YHM.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Michael Roberts" <mail@dogcountrysports.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "hungryrob" <hungryrob@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> comparing
> > was
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > Hello Jeff. The review is in the 18Dec. issue of the ST. I still have a
> copy
> > and could scan and email it to you if you email me direct.
> > Michael Roberts. www.countrysports.co.uk

Calling Jeff - please email me and I'll mail you the copy of the review
article. Not sure if I can decipher your email address correctly.
Michael Roberts www.countrysports.co.uk
take the dog out to reply direct to me