1080 or 1200 monitor?

Ect5150

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I was curious of the pros and cons of using a large led tv as my computer monitor. My current monitor is a samsung 26 inch and runs at 1920x1200... But the TVs would run at 1920 x 1080.

I'm not concerned with the desktop, but I am concerned if most of my games can make the switch to the slightly different resolution.

Any advice on using something alike a sony bra via 32 inch led tv as a computer monitor?

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Well some gamers are quite happy with big TVs as their primary screens. I guess it depends on what you are used to, or what your preferences or prejudices are.

1920x1080 is one of the most common monitor resolutions nowadays, I doubt you can easily find a game that doesn't support it. Typically if you go to the resolution pulldown menu in game settings, you'll find a good number of more or less exotic choices that are supported out of the box. I don't think you have any reason for concern there.

the only thing i could say is that if you have a tv (larger than 26") running the same (or less) resolution there would be a difference in pixel density (sharpness) unless you sit further back from the television. everything will appear to be larger though (could be a pro or con).

that said, i currently sit about 4.5 to 5 feet from a 40" 1920x1080 sony bravia and it works out great. rts, mmo, other games work great at the increased size. fps takes awhile to get used to as your eyes must concentrate on a larger area (which can make you dizzy if you arent used to it) but it is nothing to worry about. all modern games support 1080p sizing. even older games such as starcraft, warcraft, total annihilation, (insert game here) can be played on a 1080p although if the particular game cannot stretch you will see a black space on the left and right of the game (older games use a different aspect ratio relative to monitors of the era).

to sum it up: you aren't gaining anything by swapping, however, making the switch won't hurt anything either.