Reloading

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Looking to buy a reloader and have a couple of questions

1. Does it work out much cheaper?
2. Is it difficult to get the gunpowder?
3. Can it be dangerous?
4. Is it possible to reload regular over the counter plastic shells and if
so how many times can they be reloaded.

If anyones not too busy and can help me out with these answers it would be
really appreciated.

James

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"James Doble" <james.doble@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Looking to buy a reloader and have a couple of questions
>
> 1. Does it work out much cheaper?
> 2. Is it difficult to get the gunpowder?
> 3. Can it be dangerous?
> 4. Is it possible to reload regular over the counter plastic shells and if
> so how many times can they be reloaded.
>
> If anyones not too busy and can help me out with these answers it would be
> really appreciated.
>
> James

Hello James.

1) Depends on the type of ammunition you wish to reload. In most cases the
answer is probably no but in some of the bigger bore guns using Tungsten,
Bismuth, Tin etc then there could be a slight saving.

2) No the powder is not difficult to obtain.

3) Yes nitro cellulose powders can be dangerous same as any other explosive
substance. "Black" powder is even more so and you need a special license to
store the latter. Pyrodex is a black powder substitute but I'm unsure if you
need a license to store that.

4) Yes you can reload over the counter cases given the right wads, powder,
primers and shot weight. I used to reload Winchester AA compression formed
cases (these are formed from one piece of plastic with no seperate base wad)
are a lot stronger than the parallel tube cases. Compression formed cases
can be loaded up to 5 or 6 times. The parallel tube cases have a seperate
base and will reload approx 2 to 3 times.

The main thing about reloading in my opinion is the satisfaction you get
from pulling a good shot off using your own home loads. From a monetary
point of view I would say it isn't that much cheaper if any cheaper than
commercial bought loads.
Hope this helps
Regards
Dave (www.kwacs.freeserve.co.uk)

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"James Doble" <james.doble@virgin.net> wrote in

> Looking to buy a reloader and have a couple of questions

I guess your asking about shotgun shells?

> 1. Does it work out much cheaper?

For steel I would make a guess and say yes but for lead I would most
certainly say no for 12 bore. .410 might work out cheaper and the same
may be true for odd calibres, like say 10 bore.

> 2. Is it difficult to get the gunpowder?

blackpowder or nitropowder? You’ll need a storage permit ( Pete on the
group has recently explained this to another poster ) but Nitropowder is
freely available mainly because it’s not much use to terrorists.

> 3. Can it be dangerous?

Which, the powder or the reloading? The powder is less dangerous than
petrol or gas. The reloading of shotgun shells can be very dangerous if
you do not follow the recipe to the word.

> 4. Is it possible to reload regular over the counter plastic shells
> and if so how many times can they be reloaded.

This seems like a loaded question but in answer you are better off
purchasing a reloading handbook. Read it and understand it. As Dave has
pointed out, reloading isn’t just about reloading or saving money. It’s
about learning, testing, improving and more.
As for Q.4 about 2-5 times depending on case type.

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Lurch <mark@cssdNo_OrgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in

> On 1 Sep 2004 06:28:23 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>This seems like a loaded question
>
> !!!!

Hey Mark your eyes are upside down iiii :)

John

"John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lurch <mark@cssdNo_OrgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in
>
> > On 1 Sep 2004 06:28:23 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>This seems like a loaded question
> >
> > !!!!
>
> Hey Mark your eyes are upside down iiii :)
>
> John

Hey thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that it was for a 12
bore. I was mainly interested as I have been told that if reloaded with
wheat (instead of lead) they are good at killing rats without damaging
property...however this sounds a bit unsafe to me. Any ideas. Thanks

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> "John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Lurch <mark@cssdNo_OrgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in

>> > !!!!
>>
>> Hey Mark your eyes are upside down iiii :)
>>
>> John
>
> Hey thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that it was for
> a 12 bore. I was mainly interested as I have been told that if
> reloaded with wheat (instead of lead) they are good at killing rats
> without damaging property...however this sounds a bit unsafe to me.
> Any ideas. Thanks

You'd be better investing in a few tubs of warfarin.

John

> "James Doble" <james.doble@virgin.net> wrote in
>

> > "John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Lurch <mark@cssdNo_OrgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in

> >> Hey Mark your eyes are upside down iiii :)
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > Hey thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that it was for
> > a 12 bore. I was mainly interested as I have been told that if
> > reloaded with wheat (instead of lead) they are good at killing rats
> > without damaging property...however this sounds a bit unsafe to me.
> > Any ideas. Thanks
> >

> You'd be better investing in a few tubs of warfarin.
>
> John

Its so bloody expensive! What ever happened to the liquid you could mix with
your own corn?

Besides you've never seen rats like these- they get wiser every year. I
think we are pulling down some of the old bale pig pens soon, so if anyone
want a days ratting in Gloucester email me and I will give you directions to
the farm.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Shame, you're around 180 miles away :'(
I can't really justify a 3hr drive to do some ratting.
--
Andy (UK_Rabbiter)
Creator, Manager & Moderator of Rabbit Hunters

> "John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "James Doble" <james.doble@virgin.net> wrote in
>>

>> > "John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hey thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that it was for
>> > a 12 bore. I was mainly interested as I have been told that if
>> > reloaded with wheat (instead of lead) they are good at killing rats
>> > without damaging property...however this sounds a bit unsafe to me.
>> > Any ideas. Thanks
>> >

>> You'd be better investing in a few tubs of warfarin.
>>
>> John
>
> Its so bloody expensive! What ever happened to the liquid you could mix
> with
> your own corn?
>
> Besides you've never seen rats like these- they get wiser every year. I
> think we are pulling down some of the old bale pig pens soon, so if anyone
> want a days ratting in Gloucester email me and I will give you directions
> the farm.

Hi there. I've got a cheap, effective way to get rid of the Rats. I've done
it in our farm (in my country). Try it! might help!! Take 200grams of white
plain flour and 200grams of white plaster powder (From homebase) OR white
cement powder or equivalent. We prefer plaster it is nearly odourless... and
some spoonfuls of plain sugar. Put a small piece of butter at the bottom of
bowl and mix the powders and sugar thoroughly and put them on the top of the
butter. Avoid touching mix with hands! Let your rats enjoy a nice meal...
And make sure they have access to some fresh water to drink. Once rat's guts
full of your magic mix and some water, its dead for sure. It is good they
die in their burrows and never give stinking smell. Make sure no other
animals have access to mix! It worked in our farm. I don't know how smart
the rats are in UK!!! You can do any quantity accordingly. I wish I was near
you mate....
Good luck
Cheers. R.A.