Internal SATA HDD disappear when USB device connecting

yossefelbaz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Hi.

I noticed couple of times that i don't see one of my drives in the Computer window.
It also not showing up in the Disk Management window.
I didn't know the cause till now. I tried reseating the cables and some other suggestions online with no luck.

Today i noticed the cause:
If i am connecting a USB memory or external HDD to the front USB panel it disappears.
Disconnecting it (the USB component) won't show the drive back in the list.

I have:
120GB SSD as my C drive.
1TB HDD as D drive.
2TB HDD as E drive.
All are SATA.

The D drive is the one that gets disappear.

Thanks.

Solution
unplug the front USB panel cable from the motherboard and plug it to another port. Usually motherboards have more than one USB port. Don't forget to ground your self before you touch the motherboard.
Try assigning a different letter to either the D drive or the external USB storage devices. You can do that in Disk Management:

Right-click the ribbon of the appropriate drive in the bottom-right panel and choose
"Change Drive Letter & Paths"

A2ZPC

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
unplug the front USB panel cable from the motherboard and plug it to another port. Usually motherboards have more than one USB port. Don't forget to ground your self before you touch the motherboard.

Solution

yossefelbaz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
OK, first thank you.

Now, I unplugged the USB plug from its place and i plugged it into a different one.
I turned on the PC and i tested if it's OK now, and it did. (no disappearing)
Then, i unplugged the USB plug from the new place and i returned it back to the first plug and it is acting normal now.

What caused it? It wasn't good before the switching...

A2ZPC

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Sometimes the USB port doesn't work and need to be reset that way. I'm happy that your problem is fixed now :??: