70Celcius Any Damage Done?

G

Im kind of curious..when i first got my chip my cpu was running too hot at around 68-73 Celcius..but it wasnt on very long maybe 20-30 mins at most..since then ive got the temp down to around 60 celcius at idle and am going to be getting a new hsf and some artic silver 2 goop to bring it way down, but im wondering if any damage could have been done to the chip?my system boots now perfectly fine and I dont have any problems..but could there have been any damage done in the 70degree temp range?i know amd can go up to 90 degrees but just thought id check incase i should be cautious of any problems i might run into later..

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
unlikely.
the official specs say its gotta get above 90 before damage is done.
if you run it at 60-70 it will EVENTUALLY reduce its life span, and possibly lockup on you at random intervals.
so no harm done. just be careful & sensible putting on the HS.

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, life span may be reduced - but that's the only problem I see besides lockups and buggish problems like that.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those temps used to be TYPICAL back in 386/486 days. Back then the transistors were larger, which meant that this type of heat was less likely to cause instability. But the material is pretty close to the same, proving it won't melt or burn at that temp. AMD says 90C before damage is done, but most systems become unstable at around 60C.

Video killed my Radio Card!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you should be fine but if you are idling at 60 i advise you make sure the heat sink is properly in contact...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

TRENDING THREADS