Back from hols, trying to get settled

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Everything's up in the air at the moment trying to get life back into order.
Flat's a mess, clothes haven't been unpacked and washed since I got back
last night, boiler's not working etc etc

The good news is that two sets of ear defenders will arrive on Thurdsay, the
cheque I sent two weeks ago having only just cleared. All of the reloading
kit arrived on the morning I left, so all that remains to get is the
propellant, primers and bullets.

My choice, courtesy of you lot and the Lee charts of powder loads is to have
V-Max 55gr bullets with the RELODER15 powder. Am I right in thinking that I
can't get the bullets mail order as should they be used in the manufacture
of rounds you'd need the expanding ammo option on the certificate. This is
what I've heard, which I find weird as you'd need a firearms cert to possess
any kind of ammo so none of it should in that case be sent mail order should
it?!

I understand that they'll send the ammo to your local firearms dealer, who
will no doubt add a stupidly high "handling charge" for their troubles.
Obviously primer won't be sought mail order, but what about the propellant?

If there is somewhere I can get the vmax mail order, will one of you kind
folk please recommend where? RELODER15 suppliers would be handy too :)

Regards,

Ross.

--
CBR600RR (Broken)
TFSTR#[1]

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Filth" <rossnoades@hotmail.com> wrote in

> If there is somewhere I can get the vmax mail order, will one of you
> kind folk please recommend where? RELODER15 suppliers would be handy
> too :)

Expanding bullets have to be entered on to your FAC and purchased “in
person”, so mail order is out for bullets (although you can readily
purchased FMJ bullets mail order).
Powder, cases and primers can all be purchased mail order but due to
restriction powder and primers can not be sent in the same packaging or
parcel.
If your going along the lines of RL15 then why not just go for
Vihtavuori, it’s cheaper and better (IMHO).
I always use Match or BR primers. Federal Gold seem to work well for me
as do CCI BR primers.
Order from Minsterley Ranges (01743 791858).

John

lurch

On 16 Sep 2004 06:15:12 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Filth" <rossnoades@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>> If there is somewhere I can get the vmax mail order, will one of you
>> kind folk please recommend where? RELODER15 suppliers would be handy
>> too :)
>
>Expanding bullets have to be entered on to your FAC and purchased “in
>person”,

You sure about that John?
My understanding is that cartridge components do not need entering on
anything, regardless of expanding or otherwise. In fact you don't
even need a fac to buy the components, hence the talk of requiring
primers to be limited purchase and entered on fac.

--
Mark

http://www.gunculture.net

"the subjects... may have arms for their defence"
English Bill of Rights

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Lurch <mark@cssdNo_OrgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in

> On 16 Sep 2004 06:15:12 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Filth" <rossnoades@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>> If there is somewhere I can get the vmax mail order, will one of you
>>> kind folk please recommend where? RELODER15 suppliers would be handy
>>> too :)
>>
>>Expanding bullets have to be entered on to your FAC and purchased “in
>>person”,
>

> You sure about that John?

You’ll find that 99% of all firearm licensing departments require RFD’s
to log all expanding bullets on to the purchasers FAC. There was a time
when they didn’t.
It’s good and bad for the reloader. The good point is that the police
can actually see that you have purchased bullets and used ammunition
hence you can provide proof that you actively use your rifle. The bad
side of the apple is that you are restricted in your sources and local
small suppliers can be upto 25% higher in price than bigger suppliers
such as Tim Hannan or Minsterly.

John

lurch

On 16 Sep 2004 12:05:33 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You’ll find that 99% of all firearm licensing departments require RFD’s
>to log all expanding bullets on to the purchasers FAC. There was a time
>when they didn’t.

In that case mine must be the 1% !

>It’s good and bad for the reloader. The good point is that the police
>can actually see that you have purchased bullets and used ammunition
>hence you can provide proof that you actively use your rifle. The bad
>side of the apple is that you are restricted in your sources and local
>small suppliers can be upto 25% higher in price than bigger suppliers
>such as Tim Hannan or Minsterly.
>
>John

I did wonder about the fact that there is no ammunition going on my
fac for my centrefire, but to be honest I don't think there'll be an
issue.
I don't mind paying a couple o'quid extra from the LGS as it provides
a valuable service.

--

> On 16 Sep 2004 12:05:33 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You’ll find that 99% of all firearm licensing departments require
RFD’s
>>to log all expanding bullets on to the purchasers FAC. There was a
time
>>when they didn’t.
>
> In that case mine must be the 1% !

It must be.

>>It’s good and bad for the reloader. The good point is that the police
>>can actually see that you have purchased bullets and used ammunition
>>hence you can provide proof that you actively use your rifle. The bad
>>side of the apple is that you are restricted in your sources and local
>>small suppliers can be upto 25% higher in price than bigger suppliers
>>such as Tim Hannan or Minsterly.
>>
>>John
>
> I did wonder about the fact that there is no ammunition going on my
> fac for my centrefire, but to be honest I don't think there'll be an
> issue.

There was for a mate of mine when the FEO told him that he didn’t use
the rifle, so there wasn’t a need to own the rifle. The factor being
that my mate couldn’t prove that he had shot the rifle because he had
reloaded his ammunition at a friend’s house.

> I don't mind paying a couple o'quid extra from the LGS as it provides
> a valuable service.

I don’t mind funding their dinners either but when they charge £10 over
the odds for a pound of powder I do mind. I can buy powder from Min
Ranges mail order cheaper than I can go and buy powder from my local gun
shop.

John

lurch

On 17 Sep 2004 12:54:26 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don’t mind funding their dinners either but when they charge £10 over
>the odds for a pound of powder I do mind. I can buy powder from Min
>Ranges mail order cheaper than I can go and buy powder from my local gun
>shop.
>
>John

Yeah that would smart. My guy is a pound or so over the odds for a
tub of propellant, so not so bad.

--

> On 17 Sep 2004 12:54:26 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I don’t mind funding their dinners either but when they charge £10
>>over the odds for a pound of powder I do mind. I can buy powder from
>>Min Ranges mail order cheaper than I can go and buy powder from my
>>local gun shop.
>>
>>John
>
> Yeah that would smart. My guy is a pound or so over the odds for a
> tub of propellant, so not so bad.

The problem here is that we only have one shop that sells a good range
of reloading supplies, so he has the monopoly.

John