Sign in with
Your question

CAN YOU USE AN ETHERNET WIRE TO TRANSFER FILES FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER

Last response: in Windows 7
January 28, 2013 3:28:08 PM

I want to transfer hard drive files from a Dell computer with XP to another Dell computer with Windows 8 How do I do it??
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 3:29:50 PM

Yes but it needs to be a crossover cable. It is an ethernet cord but the cables are binded differently.

More information can be found HERE .
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2013 3:47:38 PM

another solution is to have both computers hooked up on the same router and then transfer files from computers on the network.
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:52:11 PM

Google is your friend
m
l
January 28, 2013 4:27:30 PM

Easiest and fastest way to transfer the data, if the volume is substantial, would be to remove the drive from the XP machine and hook it up directly to you windows 8 box.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 6:03:28 PM

bjaminnyc said:
Easiest and fastest way to transfer the data, if the volume is substantial, would be to remove the drive from the XP machine and hook it up directly to you windows 8 box.

That's the way I would do it ;) 

Mactronix :) 
m
l
January 28, 2013 7:24:02 PM

email it to yourself from one machine to the other if its just a few things. If more I would take one disk out and put it in the other machine. It will see it as a new drive.
m
l
January 28, 2013 7:46:18 PM

Why not just plug each end of a patch cable into each computer as an ad-hoc network? A crossover cable isn't needed, as every NIC made in the past decade will support auto-MDIX. Assuming the computers aren't ancient they will connect at gigabit speed.
m
l
!